ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with a clio cup race car

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Things do come loose on the front easily, hub uniballs / extender pins are a bugger for slackening off. Be interesting what you find.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ian is that a standard disk of yours you sell...also could you machine up bells to give maximum spoke clearance?

Any links ideally to save me asking a million questions.
And are they running sided cooling vanes to really draw the air through?

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
And are they running sided cooling vanes to really draw the air through?

I have done a lot of testing between straight and curved veins and found airspeed did NOT increase through the disc with curved veins as a lot will have you believe !

The only way it would be beneficial is if you can attach cowling to the back of the hub fully enclosing the centre of the disc , along with scoops on the bumper and ducting , if not , in my opinion a curved vein disc will not draw in more air than a curved one. especially driving at speed , the only small benefit I can see having a curved vein is the vein is spread over a wider area of the disc , and at an angle so in theory would be stronger , but we have never found a straight vein disc to be weak in that respect anyway

My discs are a custom size to suit my application , I have included pictures in this thread somewhere showing how I made it along with photo's.
My discs are 293mm with AP CP 7600 road calipers , and Ferodo UNO pads , made to fit the cup racer 15" wheels , and I can outbrake just about everybody !

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That does certainly go against what everyone else says and also against what logic dictates but if you have experimental evidence like that then clearly in this instance the theory doesn't hold water for the width disk concerned (I know from data I've seen on much wider disks it does make a difference though)

293 sounds a good size, my current 300 are forcing me to run bigger spacers than I would like so I'm interested in going down in size slightly. Can you tell me the max pad size on those as mine are quite deep pads from inside to outside so need a fairly large braking surface on the disk. And what width are they? I'm on 24mm at the moment but would prefer 26mm. Moving my calipers in 3mm would be great if i could manage it.

Cup In bits
Its all in there along with technical drawings and they will have a printable PDF to scale that gives a cross section of caliper for mocking up.

- 24mm disk
- Pad Area = 43.5cm³
- Pad Depth = 46.2mm
- Thickness = 16.0mm

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its all in there along with technical drawings and they will have a printable PDF to scale that gives a cross section of caliper for mocking up.

- 24mm disk
- Pad Area = 43.5cm³
- Pad Depth = 46.2mm
- Thickness = 16.0mm

Ah, with this being Ian I just assumed (esp as he is on a 293mm disk not a 295) that he would quite possibly have different disks to those specified for the calipers, ive made up different spacers in the past to make calipers wider and narrow to take different size disks etc, so thought he might have done the same.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I can make various discs , my discs are made for the calipers and pads I'm using , could have gone with a wider pad area if I needed to , what exact sizes are you looking for ?

Cup In bits
I can make various discs , my discs are made for the calipers and pads I'm using , could have gone with a wider pad area if I needed to , what exact sizes are you looking for ?

I would like a disk/bell that has maximum clearance from the spokes, can you go further inboard than what you have with yours?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I will need to have a better measure than I have done so far before I can give exact sizes, at the moment I have just made it all up to fit some off the shelf 300mm scenic disks (cause they were cheap!), but 1-2mm wider (so 25-26mm) and a few mm less radius (so 292-294mm dia) would be great for giving more clearance and making a bit better use of the width of the caliper as stock.

Might be able to move a couple of mm inboard as well but will have to check clearance for that.

Will sort out over the winter (got too many other things on at the moment) and get back to you :)

Sorry for the off-topic chat on your thread.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Good luck i guess Andy Corner will be a good reference point for the class.

Im sure with your laser lights you will woop him in the dark! :)

182cup & 172 racecar
Andy Corner, I know him, well his brother, he was only about 10 last time I saw him.
Think his brother was called Ian.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Rally hasn't gone to plan , had an off into a granite wall last night and rearranged the front end lol , the following stage was ruined by Andy Corner for us as he got held up by a car ahead of him , he should have carried on at rally speed then spoke to the officials to get his time amended , but instead finished the stage slowly not letting anyone pass him which held about 7 cars up , we all ended up with crap stage times which they wouldn't amend so we pulled out to re-enter the trophy rally this morning , when I can back to rally hq this morning Andy has had an amended time and is now 4th overall , thanks a bunch jersey !!

we had a spin on the first stage , and handbrake stuck on in the chicane on the second stage so lost 20 secs in the morning , without that I would have been beating Andy and on par with his son dan who is 3rd overall currently

I was following the live timing and once you got going you were taking time out of the Corners, which I was very glad to see, then saw the weird times and wondered what was going on. They had penalties early that got removed too, all very odd! Currently they're 4th and 5th OA, 3rd is Richard Fishleigh (220bhp SRD Pinto!)

I'm sorry it worked out like that for you Ian, it's been carnage this year; of the 7 cars I mapped that started, five have crashed out and only two are still in (one being current leader Stevie Leonard, my avatar<<<), let's hope it doesn't get any worse!

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Where did you go off Ian? Conditions were horrendous on Friday, was only naving this year but was a really tough rally. We got shafted by the time keepers as well so your weren't the only one.

How much did those Lazer lights set you back btw? I've heard they are really good.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
My engine put a rod throught the block

Oh no that was the last engine sorry :rasp:

Engine is running fine , got a real bark to it now after Sandy mapped it , did notice the oil pressure had dropped during the Saturday morning stages but the oil was around 100 degree's on the stage , after cooling down on the road sections it was back up again , so i'll be fitting an oil cooler just to be on the safe side.

Had an up and down rally , the Saturday night stages were a handful ! just a shame I went off but thats rallying , didn't do too much damage , and didn't really lose a lot of time , but then coming up the the 2 really tight hairpins were a joke as there was a few cars stopped waiting in turn to have a go round them , lost more time on these than I did going off , the second night stage had a lot more grip , but being then held up through the stage by another competitor was crap , he should have been excluded for what he did , fvcked a few peoples times up and the officials wouldn't do anything about it so myself and my mate in the nova decided not to go back out and enter the trophy rally , for those that don't know , if your car breaks on the first day , and you can fix it , they run a small rally for these on the back of the main rally so at least we can get more stages in , my mate was so pissed off with what went on friday he went out and got drunk and didn't bother with the saturday run , pity really as they were the best stages.

I wasn't happy mind to get there saturday morning and find that the person who had caused the hold ups had his time amended and was now 4th overall , but all the people he held up were told there times would stay , so how does that work ? karma bit them on the arse on saturday afternoon and they broke a shaft on the last stage to retire.

The saturday stages were going well for us , and we were leading the trophy rally after the second stage , but the third stage I clipped another granite wall after carrying a bit to much speed into a series of slippy bends , we dropped about 20 seconds on that stage and bent a front arm slightly and the rear beam , tried to set the tracking up by eye , the car was drivable but very twitchy which is not what you want down some of those tight lanes , so we backed off to make sure we didn't make anymore mistakes , just got caught out on a square left and it tugged me into the bank , which we drove up and very very nearly tipped it over onto the roof , I thought it was over but it stayed put and stalled , so full right turn , start it up , and moved very slowly which got it back on the road , a quick wave to the spectators watching and cheering and we were on our way again lol

Fair play the car is looking rather second hand , needs a new axle , new rear bumper , new front bumper , new wings , headlights , and a tug of the front panel as its gone back slightly , needs whatevers bent on the front drivers side replacing ! I'm supposed to be back out on another rally in 3 weeks so will see how we get on with it , may have to leave it and not do that rally as i'm also doing Wales Rally GB in my Golf in November so may have to concentrate on that instead

Cheers Ian

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
My engine put a rod throught the block

Oh no that was the last engine sorry :rasp:

Lol @ the attempting to give fred a mini heartattack.

Engine is running fine , got a real bark to it now after Sandy mapped it

cool stuff :)
Does it feel like its pulling harder too?

did notice the oil pressure had dropped during the Saturday morning stages but the oil was around 100 degree's on the stage, after cooling down on the road sections it was back up again , so i'll be fitting an oil cooler just to be on the safe side.
Sadly I think this is always going to be the reality of a standard pump no matter what spring you put in it, there is a limit to how much it can flow and the spring cant change this, as discussed before.
Cooler oil would no doubt help, but I personally dont think 100 is enough to warrant a cooler. Id be happy with just over 100 as it keeps the moisture out.

Sounds like a really good outing despite the off, rallying certainly puts the car at far more risk of damage than circuit use!

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
You have to be neat otherwise your off ! some of the other stages we did are on 2 lane roads so you can let rip and get some lines in to really push on , but most of it you need to be neat and tidy

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Depends on your co driver....

[video=youtube_share;E6rY1-pbeNM]http://youtu.be/E6rY1-pbeNM[/video]

still my favourite ever clubman rally clip. Lol