ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nice ph1's, worth tucking away for a few years?

My other Ph1 sunflower has done 49k with only 2owners, ive give this to my dad to use as a summer/weekend toy as he wanted another renault sport as a 2nd car. Not sure if itll be worth more in years to come but i cant see it loosing money, but its mint & always been garaged.

Ill probs never sell the supercharged ph1 but only due to the money ive spent on it & for what id get for it if i sold it it means more to me than that.

i dont think french hot hatches hold a premium like the old fords & vw's do but the likes of the Williams/Trophy/V6 will be the ones to keep hold of. Saying that alot of people seem to be after ph1s atm so a mint low mileage one should hold its money.

if you can afford to keep it as a summer/weekend toy id say do it, just dont expect it to be worth loads of ££££

It's good to know people are looking after the mint low mileage phase 1 172s. I like the idea of owning one 5-10 years in the future. True not a good investment, but it is a fun one.

I think the ultra low mileage ones will likely end up on something like 4star classics for 8-9 grand.

Transit & Death trap
I would have thought investment wise there would be no point and you'd be best off with some sort of savings/shares but, if you can afford to keep it and more importantly, want to keep it then you're not going to loose anything.

ST
It's good to know people are looking after the mint low mileage phase 1 172s. I like the idea of owning one 5-10 years in the future. True not a good investment, but it is a fun one.

I think the ultra low mileage ones will likely end up on something like 4star classics for 8-9 grand.

Is your head ok? Still drunk from last night? Or other issues talk to FRANK.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR

The only people who think Ph1 are classics are the owners. Outside of CS.net it's a Clio. 8-9k my arse, would correlate to Vees being worth 35k

Evo 5 RS
Anything that's in absolute showroom condition and old enough can fetch higher than most people would be willing to pay for it. It's not wrong to assume one could go for more money any more than it is another car. Is a mint Lancia Delta honestly worth over 30k? Depends who you ask.

The only Clio that will be worth substantially more in another decade is the Trophy for obvious reasons though.

LY Clio V6
Financially not worth putting away however for an enjoyable toy over the summer points it does seem a good idea.

I have tucked away in the garage my v6 of course but predicting the future market it difficult . . . . fuel may become too expensive to render all petrol vehicles useless :coffee:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
How many Williams did they build?

In total between the different ones (there were 3 different williams) about 12000 in total, so far more than they did with the trophy, but the williams was FAR more special compared to the next model down when it came out than the trophy was, journalists made a huge deal out of it, and there was massive public interest in it, hence a lot of demand, the trophy unless you are a clio nerd wont even be something you are likely to know exists, and unlike the williams doesnt have any real heritage, the williams was obviously named after the F1 team and also was massively successful in rallying, the trophy just doesnt have that sort of heritage and its a combination of heritage/desirability/rarity that dictates value with classic cars.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
It's not wrong to assume one could go for more money any more than it is another car. Is a mint Lancia Delta honestly worth over 30k? Depends who you ask.

The only Clio that will be worth substantially more in another decade is the Trophy for obvious reasons though.

Trying to compare a French run about to a rallying legend?

Trophy & Williams are not radical enough, V6 is the one.

Look at all the 'track ready etc' that have had thousands spent on them for 5k that never sell till nearer 2.5-3k.

In other words pay for parts get free car.

Last edited:
  Megane r26
In total between the different ones (there were 3 different williams) about 12000 in total, so far more than they did with the trophy, but the williams was FAR more special compared to the next model down when it came out than the trophy was, journalists made a huge deal out of it, and there was massive public interest in it, hence a lot of demand, the trophy unless you are a clio nerd wont even be something you are likely to know exists, and unlike the williams doesnt have any real heritage, the williams was obviously named after the F1 team and also was massively successful in rallying, the trophy just doesnt have that sort of heritage and its a combination of heritage/desirability/rarity that dictates value with classic cars.

Very good answer, they say you learn something new everyday haha

Evo 5 RS
Trying to compare a French run about to a rallying legend?

Trophy & Williams are not radical enough, V6 is the one.

Look at all the 'track ready etc' that have had thousands spent on them for 5k that never sell till nearer 2.5-3k.

In other words pay for parts get free car.

It's all relative you Mong. That's the point.

Wasn't comparing the two cars directly, obviously.

Modifying cars has zero to do with this as far as I can tell so not sure why you'd bring that up really.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
A lot of this may be dependant on Renault. If these and there future models start to develop a cult following then there will be demand and premiums. Look at old fords its exactly what happened, a period of iconic cars and people associate with them and are willing to pay to be a part of it.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

They didn't make 12000 Williams

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
5417 - williams (May 1993)
5065 - williams 2 (June 1994)
1618 - williams 3 (June 1995)

less than 1000 in the uk though I think

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
A 1983 Renault 5 Alpine/Gordini with over 100k km on the clock, but exceptionally rust free and in very good OEM condition sold earlier this year for circa £6,500.00

IMG_0596.jpg

These cars were considered almost 'disposable', like 172's are now.

I think on this basis, its inevitable that low milage, cared for examples of the PH1 172 will, at some point, be worth a bit of money. Ok not a fortune, but certainly not worthless. These were after all, the first main stream 'Renault Sport' Clio produced!

I shall be looking after mine, and have no plans to sell. It has just 56k on the clock and is tucked away in the garage.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
I heard those gay yellow ones will be worth a fair bit in a few years

;)

Megane r26
Seen concourse for 10k plus but never 20! What's so special? Do love a good series 1 turbo though, my late uncle had one when I was about 4. It got pinched like so many others!

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
The car was purchased on the 27 of Aug 1985, and was shipped to the patrick motors museum, where it stayed for many years as an exhibit. Eventually was sold off, the car now only has 20k on the clock, im not going to go into mega detail about the car... the car is well known throughout the RS scene, had a big feature in performance ford in 1992, as being the only standard unmolsted series 1, like i said, not gonna go on about it.... i be here all night..... but yes car is worth 20k, & this particular car would sell for that.