ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nickson's Titanium PH1 172

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
Great thread, great car Nickson! Makes me want to get busy on my ph1. I think I'll be paying this thread several visits over the next few months.. ;)

ph1 track weapon
As far as getting your refurb done dude, theres a company about a mile from you who have done some wheels for me in the past, and they're really good. Theyre called Powdertec and theyre in the industrial estate just up from the the VW dealer. Think I paid about £80 for a set to be refurbed :)

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Looks bloody brilliant mate, really do like your motor. Need my f1's on, now.

Thanks Rob! I think the standard F1's suit PH1's down to the ground.

Next on the list, dashboard conversion? ;) haha.

Wow that does look good! Your front lights look brand new :)

Thanks Daz! The lights are actually in dier need of refurbing! Guess I caught them at a good angle :p. That will be happening within the next few weeks :D.

What a bloody nice car.

Cheers mate :D

Yours is practicaly the same is it not? Except you are donning a Cup spoiler!

I want a Cup spoiler ;) haha.

Great thread, great car Nickson! Makes me want to get busy on my ph1. I think I'll be paying this thread several visits over the next few months.. ;)

Thank you very much!
And go get busy! You are wasting time looking through my thread when you should be showing that PH1 some love ;)

one off my favorite threads on the forum!

:eek:

As far as getting your refurb done dude, theres a company about a mile from you who have done some wheels for me in the past, and they're really good. Theyre called Powdertec and theyre in the industrial estate just up from the the VW dealer. Think I paid about £80 for a set to be refurbed :)

Ah right, sick!
That veryyyy cheap!
The cheapest quote I have had is £268 :dead:, so will defnitely look into that.

Ran out of things to do to the car now, much to the girlfriends delight!

I need ideas peopleee! Haha.

Cheers :cool:

2007 MK3 Clio
Convert it to rear wheel drive, that would keep you busy for a brave while :cool:!
Would like to point out this is sarcasm before anyone has a go at me :( haha!

Car is stunning mate, well done!
Love how this thread is more about maintaining/looking after the car mechanically instead of doing it up to the t*its, it's different so fair play :)!
No disrespect intended there to anyone doing their car up to the t*its!

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Yours is practicaly the same is it not? Except you are donning a Cup spoiler!

I want a Cup spoiler ;) haha.

not far off! im after solid top mounts, and ive a spare set of inlets to get matched at some point! also need a ph1 airbox. and a new wheel. but im rekoning it will end up with roughly all the same sort of bits on it that you have :p

and as for ideas, my list is starting to get quite short too!

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Convert it to rear wheel drive, that would keep you busy for a brave while :cool:!
Would like to point out this is sarcasm before anyone has a go at me :( haha!

Car is stunning mate, well done!
Love how this thread is more about maintaining/looking after the car mechanically instead of doing it up to the t*its, it's different so fair play :)!
No disrespect intended there to anyone doing their car up to the t*its!

Thank you very much mate!
I class anything I do to the car as progress, so everything goes in here, even as you say the maintenance stuff!

As for the RWD conversion, im not sure I would be able to do it unfortunately :p

not far off! im after solid top mounts, and ive a spare set of inlets to get matched at some point! also need a ph1 airbox. and a new wheel. but im rekoning it will end up with roughly all the same sort of bits on it that you have :p

and as for ideas, my list is starting to get quite short too!

Haha good man!
Get it all fitted! Haha :D.

Solid Top Mounts make a nice difference, but I wouldnt recommend a second hand set. I did that and now regret it as they knock and need replacing!

Should have that sorted within a few weeks!

Great thread Nickson, lovely jubly. Awesome phase 1 too, loving what your doing!

Thanks very much man. There are some more updates to come, so hopefully it will keep you interested and loving the car just as much as I do atm!

Cheers for all the comments :cool:

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Righttt. A tiny little update for you all.
For a while now I have wanted to spray the sound deadening within the engine bay black, as the orangey colour left where it was wearing out didnt look very catchy :p
I was also missing a few clips holding the scuttle panel down. I seem to find it impossible to find the correct size for anything, so this was my 3rd attempt at finding some that fit.

So, the following was bought:

img2011031000341.jpg

The sound deadening looked like this before I got my hands on it:

img2011031000342.jpg

After 5 mins or so of spraying I ended up with this:

img2011031000344.jpg

Tiny bit of overspray around the edges, but very happy with the end result! Looks so much better.
I might take the top inlet off over the weekend and do further down the back, as I couldnt get the can down there this time.

Also, clips missing:

img2011031000343.jpg

Clips fitted:

img2011031000345.jpg

Cheers!

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Ok..

First question: How did you spray that without getting crap EVERYWHERE?

Second Question: Where are the clips from? I need some.

Hahaha!

Answer to first question - The spray pattern on this Simoniz stuff seems to be rather accurate. That, and when I did get it on something, I wiped it off before it had a chance to settle. But as you can see, I got the coolant tank :eek:.

Answer to second question - Clips were off of eBay. They felt fine when I put them in, but they have started to pop out, so are far from suitable. Its annoying, as I cannot seem to find the right size clips anywhere! This is my 3rd attempt, and all of them are either too big, or too small.

The hunt continues......

EDIT:
Just bought these..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25x-Plastic-C...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0665ae22

Hope they work :evil:

CLIO PH1 172
lol did the ph1s even have a clip there? mines missing as well :(

good job on the sound deadening, thats how i done mine ( before ripped it off)

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Sound deadning is a massive improvement!! And if they clips dont fit i can probably get clips that will ;)

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
looks good mate :) keep up the good work. i need to polybush mine aswel. much improvement?

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
lol did the ph1s even have a clip there? mines missing as well :(

good job on the sound deadening, thats how i done mine ( before ripped it off)

I dont think they did!
As both of mine were missing as well, so just wanted something to secure it.

I think I got the idea for the sound deadening earlier in this thread when you mentioned about doing it.
Good idea ;)

Cheers mate :)

very tidy motor mate!

when you find out what size clips are the right ones...... let me know ;)

Thanks mate!
Yeah I will do. As there are a million and one different types and sizes of clips. So its a bit of a pig to find ones that fit and work!

Sound deadning is a massive improvement!! And if they clips dont fit i can probably get clips that will ;)

Cheers mate!
How do you mean exactly? ;)

looks good mate :) keep up the good work. i need to polybush mine aswel. much improvement?

Cheers mate :)
Definitely made the front end feel tighter having it all polybushed.

Cheers for the comments guys :cool:

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Few little updates!

I have had a binding rear caliper for a while now. Tried twice to free it up, but keeps binding and siezing, so I bought a new one off of JoshyDee (Cliospares).
Would definitely recommend their services! With a little cleanup, I had it looking like this:

img2011031800354.jpg

img2011031800355.jpg

img2011031800356.jpg

All that is needed is a lick of matte black VHT paint, and shes good to go on!
Going for a quick trip to Halfords tomorrow morening to buy one, and get it fitted when I get home.
Dont fancy having my new rear discs and pads being worn down quickly because of a binding caliper!

Also have a new rear seatbelt to fit (3rd one now).
For some strange reason, 2 seatbelts have broken in the same position within a few days! No idea why.
Hopefully this will sort it:

img2011031800353.jpg

Unfortunately its not an exciting update. Just a general maintenance one.

Hopefully there will be some more goodies to come ;)

Cheers :cool:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Nice updates this month ... ARB is on my list of things to get soon. Then again, I may flog the surrendermobile and get the noise bus back on the road ...

Looks bloody brilliant mate, really do like your motor. Need my f1's on, now.

TheEvilGiraffe likes this !

borat-thumbs-up.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Good to see the little things being taken care of, they make all the difference.

It makes a car much less appealing when it's got little bits and bobs wrong with it.

TEG, mine will be going on as soon as I've got money to blow on tyre fitting.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Riiiiiight!
Got started nice and early on the car today!

Got the new caliper painted up nicely with some Matt Black VHT paint, which I had to rush to Halfords and buy as I had ran out :(

img2011031900002.jpg

Got the siezed old caliper off:

img2011031900001.jpg

All bolted up and good to go!

img2011031900003.jpg

Made such a huge difference when pulling away! there is no longer any resistance and pulls away smoothly :cool:.

Old b*****d ready for the dustbin:

img2011031900005.jpg

Unfortunately no progress with fitting the new seatbelt today. Its such a nice day, and it would be shame to waste it on sorting the car out! So maybe tomorrow..

Shes in desperate need of a good wash and hoover at the moment!

I have also noticed some rust coming through on the rear arches, so will need to get that sorted, and possibly get the entire rear quaters sprayed at the same time!

Anybody recommend a bodyshop local to me?

Cheers!

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Had some free time today.
And as the weather was soooo nice, I washed and polished the little Clioooo.
Took me a while, but looks rather shiny if I do say so myself!
No progress as of yet, as I am completely out of ideas. But im sure something will crop up!

Pics:

dsc0462bi.jpg

dsc0463k.jpg

dsc0464m.jpg

dsc0465tg.jpg

Cheers :)

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Little bit of progress with her this week.
Or possibly a step back.. Undecided.
Basically, the back end became very very bouncy, just out of the blue.
The ABS would kick in when braking from 30 to a stop because the back end was bouncing around all over the place!

So, I tried bouncing up and down on the boot, and the rear shocks wouldnt move..
I tried adjusting the damping... Still no movement whatsoever.

So Saturday morning took them off to see if I could see what was going on.
They appear to have completely siezed up. Both sides, completely solid.

Determined not to let them get the better of me, I soldiered on, attempting to get the piston to move in and out..
After an hour or so.......

Nothing..

I put the standard rear shocks back on for now. Seeing as these shocks were completely overhauled by Gaz in November, I am pretty annoyed right now.
Going to see if I can get them to do it again for free, as they had about 3k miles use!

Also on the lookout for a new set of coilovers now.
Looking for a decent set of FK's or H&R's if someone is selling.

After standing up for Gaz regardless of what other members have said, I am starting to believe how poor these really are. Annoyed, but this could be a step in the right direction to get rid of them.

Hoping to get a new set fitted by the time my new AST top mounts arrive to replace the Ktec ones ;)

Cheers!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
looking good mate. im slowly modding my flamer ph1 as well and generally tidying her up, keep up the good work. mines is on 105k now and going great so yours is barely run in!!

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Have you had a look at weitec coilovers? Its whats on mine and id say there pretty good. Will be better (i hope) once i get my AST top mounts also! And then set up good lol

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
looking good mate. im slowly modding my flamer ph1 as well and generally tidying her up, keep up the good work. mines is on 105k now and going great so yours is barely run in!!

Cheers mate!
Get some pics up of her, I love flamers. Look very nice :)

Have you had a look at weitec coilovers? Its whats on mine and id say there pretty good. Will be better (i hope) once i get my AST top mounts also! And then set up good lol

I havent yet Stu!
I have been looking at FK Konigsports, I think they are all similarly priced!

Cant wait to get my AST's either!! :D

The good news is, Gaz have told me to send the rear shocks back in for them to have a look and hopefully fix them.
They had better not charge me as I am not paying a penny, seeing as they lasted under 6 months from the last rebuild!

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
A bit of an update!

Recieved by rear shocks back from Gaz yesterday, repaired without charge.
Brilliant service as always, but trying to blame me for breaking them, stating that the knobs were adjusted using grips forcing them past the stop.
When the case was that the knobs were siezed, and could only be adjusted using grips.

Meh!

All is good now and the shocks will be going back on this weekend. Still looking for a new set of coilovers though.
Apart from that shes all good! Loving the car at the minute in the sunny weather, very good fun :)

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Another update!

Managed to get the Gaz rear shocks refitted today.
Feeling much better than the standard rear shocks and the Gaz springs, so happy with that!

Found that one of my engine mount bolts was rather loose, making the engine jerk and have more movement than normal. Tightened it back up and it feels good as new!

Loving the car right now, and cannot wait to get the AST Top mounts fitted which I am currently waiting on.

Managed to get her washed and polished today, and took some pictures :cool:

dsc0461b.jpg

dsc0462fq.jpg

dsc0463ni.jpg

dsc0466eu.jpg

dsc0467u.jpg

dsc0468b.jpg

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
still a big fan of this :wink:

Cheers man! :cool:
Few more updates will be coming so stay tuned ;)

Perfect, except the rear lights =P

Ouch!
Thanks for the compliment :rasp:
I am also unsure with the lights. Might trial some PH1 clusters and see which I prefer!

*UPDATE (ISH)*

Little update.
Since fitting the OMP steering wheel, I have had the dreaded Airbag + SERV light issue.
I managed to well and truely bugger the steering wheel squib (wiring), so replaced that today with a new one from Cliospares.
I have previously replaced the plugs underneath both the drivers and passenger side seats with solder and a good old bit of heatshrink.
So..

I refitted my 3.9Ω resistor without any luck as the lights reappeared after turning the ignition off and on. I then tried my 3.3Ω resistor.. Same again.

I am now at a dead end with these damn lights. I refitted the original airbag to see if the resistors I were using were incorrect, but they came back on after turning the ignition off and back on.
Will disconnecting the battery and leaving it overnight do anything to remedy the situation? Or am I well and truely buggered and in need of some diag equipment?

Cheers!

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
i put my ph1 lights in during the week, i quite like it tbh! and i got 2 bits of wire with my OMP boss with a fuse on it, plugged it in and my lights went off no problem atall!

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
i put my ph1 lights in during the week, i quite like it tbh! and i got 2 bits of wire with my OMP boss with a fuse on it, plugged it in and my lights went off no problem atall!

Ah daaaaaaamn I'm not so lucky man!
The stupid lights just wont stay out :(, need to find someone with a "Clip" to turn them off!

I might buy some PH1 rears and experiment to see what I like best!

Will be some very nice updates coming this week ;)

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
ill stick a pic up of mine tomorrow just to tempt you..if it passes MOT anyway! ha just in from getting the number plate light working! any sign of the AST top mounts at ure end yet? :p

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
ill stick a pic up of mine tomorrow just to tempt you..if it passes MOT anyway! ha just in from getting the number plate light working! any sign of the AST top mounts at ure end yet? :p

Good! Do it :)

No sign of the AST's whatsoever!
There arent any updates in the thread about them either, really want to fit them this coming weekend as well :(.

Some goodies on the way..

Titanium Cup Spoiler ;)
Titanium PH2 Side Strips with bullets
25mm per side FK Wheel spacers for the front!

And obviously the AST topmounts which should be here anyday!

Cannot wait to get it all fitted!! :cool:

Next on the list im thinking of treating myself to a Yozza race or Stealth.. Cannot make my mind up ;)

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Good! Do it :)

No sign of the AST's whatsoever!
There arent any updates in the thread about them either, really want to fit them this coming weekend as well :(.

Some goodies on the way..

Titanium Cup Spoiler ;)
Titanium PH2 Side Strips with bullets
25mm per side FK Wheel spacers for the front!

And obviously the AST topmounts which should be here anyday!

Cannot wait to get it all fitted!! :cool:

Next on the list im thinking of treating myself to a Yozza race or Stealth.. Cannot make my mind up ;)

Aye i'm the same! want to get them on and get it all set up. camber on my wheels isnt looking too good atm! ha

And goodies sound awesome! will like to see how the spacers sit, was looking at getting some too :approve: and Ph1 strips ftw ;) i took my ph2 ones back off lol! only new bits im getting other than top mounts is an origional airbox and a new lambda. and then saving for petrol for FCS...

Yozza race...mmmmmm :rasp: