ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nyall's Mk2 Ph2 1.4 Dynamique

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
So here's what I drive, a Black 53 plate 1.4 Dynamique. It's my first car, had her three months now and she's completely standard.

I have a few little idea's running round in my head of what I'd like to do.

Lowered around 30-40mm, white Turini's, colour coded plastics, Silvervisions, pressed plates, and maybe an RS grille.

The only work I've done on her so far really is a good wash, polish and wax to make her sparkle.

And today I wet-sanded the weathered headlights with 3200 grit wet and dry then a polish with Meg's Scratch X. The headlights weren't too bad, just the top of the lights were weathered, but looking a lot better now.

I'll upload a pic of her once I figure out how lol

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Okay, so I just set up a Flikr account and now I can upload pictures

Here she is...

6303018561_7ecfec7fb8.jpg

IMG_0579 by nyallwilliams, on Flickr

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
And here's a close up after a day's worth of elbow grease haha.

Washed her with AG Bodywork Shampoo, then dryed her, clay barred her, polished her with AG Ultra Deep Shine then a coat of Meg's #26 Carnuba Wax.

Shiny Clio :cool:

6303093379_445a3d4ba3.jpg

Polished Clio by nyallwilliams, on Flickr

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Okay, so I'm gunna try take the car to a garage tomorrow.

My gear knob shakes like it's going cold turkey, and when I hit around 70ish and accelerate or take my foot of the accelerator then the car feels like it judders. So I'm thinking gearbox/engine mounts?

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Wheel balancing? Is it through the steering wheel?

No it's not through the steering wheel, if I'm driving along my gearstick shakes quite a lot. The car sort of 'clunks' when you hit 60-70ish and when you take your foot off the gas or accelerate at those speeds.

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
it could be your spark plugs
same thing happened with mine

I was looking through the Hayne's manual last night, and it does say in there about the spark plugs leading to the type of fault my car has, but that wouldn't explain why the gearstick shakes around all the time, unless thats how every Clio's gearstick behaves?

Mind you, it does idle a bit irratically sometimes. But the engine feels like it's shaking around more than it should when at idle, I'll try replacing the spark plugs first, if that doesn't work then I'll try the mounts.

Any opinions guys? Your inputs are more than welcome haha

Last edited:

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Small update, just bought an RS grille, should be here in a week or so hopefully.

Also screwed on a bee sting aerial as my old standard aerial strangely vanished lol

ka9

Clio 1.2+E46
I was looking through the Hayne's manual last night, and it does say in there about the spark plugs leading to the type of fault my car has, but that wouldn't explain why the gearstick shakes around all the time, unless thats how every Clio's gearstick behaves?

Mind you, it does idle a bit irratically sometimes. But the engine feels like it's shaking around more than it should when at idle, I'll try replacing the spark plugs first, if that doesn't work then I'll try the mounts.

Any opinions guys? Your inputs are more than welcome haha

exact same thing happen to me engine shakes like mad so does the gear stick
its the spark plugs

can you take some pics of removing the grill and reinstalling the rs grill
cant get mine off

thanks

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
ka9, I'm hope you're right mate, it'll be a lot cheaper to replace the spark plugs than the mounts. I'll upload some pics and a description of the grille swap, it'll be about a week until the grille arrives though.

I'm gunna pop to Halfrauds tonight and pick up some spark plugs, can anyone recommend some spark plugs? Would these ones be suitable, I put in my car details into Halfrauds site and they came up with these and some Bosch ones.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&productId=189462&categoryId=165736&langId=-1#product-reviews

Clio
The shaking is the dogbone gearbox mount, replace with a polybushed 172 part will sort it out, the grill is an easy swap just undo the clips, give it a knock towards the engine and lift it up, mine took about 5 mins tops to take the old one off and have the new one on

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
The shaking is the dogbone gearbox mount, replace with a polybushed 172 part will sort it out, the grill is an easy swap just undo the clips, give it a knock towards the engine and lift it up, mine took about 5 mins tops to take the old one off and have the new one on

I'm gunna try the spark plugs first, see if that cures the problem, if not I'll try getting my hands on a polybush dogbone gearbox mount. Where's the best place to look for one of these? I did a quick google search but I'm at work so couldn't have a proper look. Is it a pain to fit, or am I best to let my local mechanic deal with it?

Cheers

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Okay, so im gunna order a Powerflex poly-bushed dog bone engine mount, do I get the normal or twisted one?

And I think I'm gunna go the whole hog and replace the top engine mount and the gearbox mount aswell, should I get standard Renault parts? I don't really want to pay Renault dealer prices for them though.

Your knowledge and advice is welcome guys!

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
So a nice big box was waiting for me at the base post room this lunchtime :)

6309185144_93d3c1562f.jpg
[/URL] IMG_0864 bynyallwilliams, on Flickr[/IMG]

And inside was a lovely new RS grille

6309184418_fb2b824106.jpg
[/URL] IMG_0867 by nyallwilliams, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'll get it on the car this weekend, along with the spark plugs I ordered just now (NGK BKR6EZ).

Also planning to Hammerite the rear drums and front brake calipers at the weekend, and washing her and giving the inside a good old hoover.

If the spark plugs don't solve my little problem then I'll be ordering some new engine and gearbox mounts and taking it to the mechanic to fit them as I have nothing to hold the weight of the engine or gearbox to remove or refit the mounts.

Then the next step is probably some nice pressed plates. Going to wait until after Christmas until I shell out for new wheels and suspension set up. Still unsure whether I want to go coilovers or springs. Need it colour coded too, suppose I'll have to wait until after Christmas to do that too.

In the meantime I'm gunna become a club member here :D

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Little update

Not worked on my car today really, although me and a mate swapped front wheels around (he's got a 172) because he failed his MOT for two bald tyres. So he asked if he could borrow my front wheels pmsl. In the end he got my passenger side wheel and my spare wheel because the locking bolt socket rounded off on my driver's side wheel. Can tighten locking bolts up but can't loosen them.

Is anyone kind enough to lend me their socket? As I'm going to pick up some Turini's tomorrow and would like to get them on sometime soon. I'd be really grateful if someone would be kind enough to send me theirs, I'll post it back soon as I'm done with it. If not I'll probably have to swing by a Renault dealer and see if they have any or can order one in.

Anyway, going to pick up the Turini's tomorrow hopefully, when I get back the RS grille is going on, the new spark plugs are going in and the drums and calipers are getting Hammerite'd.

Then the detailing commences if I have enough time/the Mrs doesn't moan at me lol.

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
New wheels picked up this afternoon:

6315367480_f48c435fd9.jpg

IMG_0871 by nyallwilliams, on Flickr

Won't mention who I bought them off, but you know who you are, top bloke, cheers :)

These should be going on this weekend, just need to take the car to Kwik Fit to see if they can take my locking wheel nuts off as my locking wheel nut socket is rounded off and then replace the locking nuts with spare standard ones I have.

Hopefully get that done this aft, then tomorrow get the drums and calipers Hammerite'd, the Turinis on, the RS grille on and the new spark plugs in.

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Got my RS Grille on today, it looks good. I must admit, I wasn't too sure about them at first, but they've won me over. RS Grilles FTW.

6318460265_9637f520bf.jpg

IMG_0875 by nyallwilliams, on Flickr
6318982076_ec245885c9.jpg

IMG_0876 by nyallwilliams, on Flickr
6318463353_de859fc54c.jpg

IMG_0877 by nyallwilliams, on Flickr

Couldn't get my locking wheel nuts off, they have a spinning sleeve round them so I can't hammer on a socket. Took it to Kwik Fit to see if they might have any sockets for it but no luck. Looks like I'm gunna have to get one of the lads to weld a bar onto the nuts and get them off that way.

So the wheels are waiting patiently to go on and I'll have to Hammerite the drums and calipers another day

Here's the little b*****d locking wheel nut...
6318468139_eb17687de7.jpg

IMG_0879 by nyallwilliams, on Flickr

ka9

Clio 1.2+E46
looking good

so was the spark plugs the problem or not?

take it to your local garage/tyre place im sure they'll figure something out, same thing happen to my bm couldnt take the lock nut off so the guy used a breaker bar and bingo.
(but charged me a £1):)

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Why dont you put a sport kit on it and sell me your front bumper :p

It'll cost you :rasp:

Seriously tho, I don't think I'll be putting 1*2 bumpers on it. Even if I did it wouldn't be anytime soon lol

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
looking good

so was the spark plugs the problem or not?

take it to your local garage/tyre place im sure they'll figure something out, same thing happen to my bm couldnt take the lock nut off so the guy used a breaker bar and bingo.
(but charged me a £1):)

I'll ask my mate if he'll weld a bar onto the locking nuts, hopefully should get it sorted tomorrow afternoon after work.

And I didn't get round to replacing the spark plugs to be honest, shame on me haha.

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Little update.

Basically, I still can't get the locking wheel bolts off. F*****g nightmare. My mate said welding wouldn't work, because the weld wouldn't withstand trying to crack off the nuts, and he can't weld onto stainless steel with an arc welder. So that option didn't work.

Next, I drove half an hour to Grantham to my nearest Renault dealer to be told that a 'master socket' is a myth, and they'd have to order a new socket from France which would take 3 weeks, I'm not that patient. So, they told me it would cost £130 to drill the bolts out. £130. £130? Are you having a f*****g laugh Renault, £130 to drill out 4 bolts?

I'm going to see if one of my mates will drill the b*****d bolts out for me, if not then I'll have to surrender my sterling to the French.

Sorry for the swearing. Rant over.

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Not updated this for a little while, a week or so.

Finally managed to get the locking wheel bolts out and the Turinis on. Really happy with the wheels, just need to lower her now and get the stance right, but that'll have to wait until after Christmas.

Got Autoglass coming tomorrow afternoon to *Brummie accent* inject their special resin.

Here's a pic of the car and her new shoes, need to give her a good wash this weekend cos she's a right dirty b***h atm haha.

6344354823_df934c137f.jpg

IMG_0891 by nyallwilliams, on Flickr

Sorry for the bad quality pic, this was just a quick snap as I walked past my car. Really want a nice camera instead of using my iPhone cam.

Will take some pics of the car once she's had a wash

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
So my ClioSport membership pack arrived yesterday, along with some CS stickers, which will be going on shortly.

Here's some pics of how she stands at the moment... in desperate need of a wash and some lows.

6346977561_fcb522fcec.jpg

IMG_0895 by nyallwilliams, on Flickr

6346978163_856d0aa51e.jpg

IMG_0898 by nyallwilliams, on Flickr

6347728714_0f3f4526ab.jpg

IMG_0900 by nyallwilliams, on Flickr

Wow, she's embarrassingly dirty haha!

The Autoglass man came today and repaired my windscreen, insurance didn't cover it cos I only have third party, fire and theft (can't afford fully comp yet, need a year or two NCB first lol).

ka9

Clio 1.2+E46
looking good

thinking of doing a rep?

got black front/rear bumper, wings, 1 skirt.

would fit on mine but 5dr + will need respray £££££

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
will look so much better when its lowered but be prepared for your ride quality to go out the window !

I'm young and supple, I should manage haha, but tbh I don't think my Clio's ride quality is all that great as standard.

looking good

thinking of doing a rep?

got black front/rear bumper, wings, 1 skirt.

would fit on mine but 5dr + will need respray £££££

Nah, I'm not gunna make it a full rep, although I might take the rear bumper off your hands ;)

How much you asking for the rear bumper alone?