ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OPTIMAX

Hey, I was stuck for petrol today. all I had was some Optimax in the canister, and the lawn needed cutting.

Whoa - you would not believe the difference with 98RON - that lawn machine *beatch* flew!!

Not a weed missed, nor a blade not accounted for.... this new petrol is the enemy of the lawns...!

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Quote: Originally posted by chrisbooth5 on 14 September 2004

Hey, I was stuck for petrol today. all I had was some Optimax in the canister, and the lawn needed cutting.

Whoa - you would not believe the difference with 98RON - that lawn machine *beatch* flew!!

Not a weed missed, nor a blade not accounted for.... this new petrol is the enemy of the lawns...!
Simply pour it over your lawn,flick a lighted match onto it and stand back :p

I found that the Optimax fuelled lawn burned more quickly and without leaving any sticky carbon residue - definitely worth the extra.

98 RON Fuel.

Article in Sunday Times drive section Sunday 3 Oct 2004 The wonder fuels that don’t deliver. No real short term gain or BHP long term may keep performance good

Does a ford focus c max even have a knock sensor??

I think someone should have told them a car needs this to make use of optimax.

All new cars will have knock sensors to detect any knocking of the fuel due to it being of poor RON quality.

Engines need to be designed to take advantage of higher RON fuels otherwise they wont make any more power.

Well in my handbook they recommend that the V6 255 uses 97RON where available, so I guess I will stick to Optimax at 98RON....feels better to me.

Simon.

Renault responce :

Remember that the 172 and 182 are designed from the outset to run on 98RON. The article is refering to cars set up for 95RON and the lack of any performance gains.

The test car that was used for this thorough test (hardly) was a Focus C-Max which I doubt has the appropriate Engine Management Gubbins to make use of the higher RON. At the end of the day unless you drive a car designed to use higher RON petrol...stick to 95RON (unless of course you feel that its worth buying the higher RON as it helps to protect/prolong the engine - which will ultimately help to maintain bhp!)