ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OSX Lion Thread

A silver one
It's super easy but all new Macs from Apple will come with Lion anyway.

Apparently not. All new machines (MacBook Air and MacMini) come with Lion, but there is still older stock (MBP, MacPro and iMac) that are loaded with Snow Leopard and will be sold with that.

Anyway, 15" MBP with Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display or Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Anti-Glare Display?

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Does anyone know if you can restore certain files from a Snow Machine back-up on Time Machine? Desperately trying to restore some lost photos although I have to wait until Western Digital upgrade the firm ware for my NAS drive!

Ford Focus ST2
Does anyone know if you can restore certain files from a Snow Machine back-up on Time Machine? Desperately trying to restore some lost photos although I have to wait until Western Digital upgrade the firm ware for my NAS drive!

Yes you can get certain files off the backup. Access the drive and you should see a folder called "Backups.backupdb" access that folder and inside you should see another folder with the name of your Mac (i.e Simon's Macbook Pro or Simon's Mac Mini) Access that folder and you will see a file (looks like a white piece of paper with a folded corner) right click and go down to "show Package contents"

Once you have done that you may see a few folders with random info like cf5s23c-8cc5............. click through them and you will be able to access all your files and folders starting at Macintosh HD (if thats what your drive was called).........

=====================
If that fails and it does not work try this ....
=====================

Access the drive and you should see a folder called "Backups.backupdb" access that folder and inside you should see another folder with the name of your Mac (i.e Simon's Macbook Pro or Simon's Mac Mini) once you access that folder you may see lots of different folders starting with the date going backwards (2011-07-28 .....) find the folder that says Latest and browse that folder starting at Machintosh HD (This is the top / Root folder)

Hope that make sense and helps!

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
This finder is f**king gash. Yes i just said gash. I'm going to email Apple asking for a full refund and then I'm going to reinstall SL.

I can't believe you can't choose to have it in folders like before. Now it takes ages to find anything.

Weeman sucks ****
Matt screen is the only way! I'm shocked Christopher has glossy, all show and no go

DSC00153_lowres.jpg

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Try using a matte screen under harsh lighting... like in a studio or modern office... or the Apple store. lol.

The whole thing turns opaque with a light source directly above.

Both finishes have their downsides, but only one finish doesn't have the gash silver border than ruins your Apple art.

This finder is f**king gash. Yes i just said gash. I'm going to email Apple asking for a full refund and then I'm going to reinstall SL.

I can't believe you can't choose to have it in folders like before. Now it takes ages to find anything.

Am I missing something here? What's exactly so different about it? Other than the icons it seems practically identical to me.

If you can't find something:  + space + type = boom!

Euge WTF are you on about? With some option tweaking, all of which have already been explained at least thrice, Finder looks and functions pretty much exactly the same as before. Are you going full r****d?

Back to my situation - minty blue gel fresh Lion install. Rapid as f**k. All my data and apps selectively restored. Time Machine wiped, now doing a fresh Lion backup on it. Fin.

Dad picked up a 13" MBA on launch and I finally had some time to use it. f**k me it's rapid. It's his first Mac so I'm hoping he won't like it and he will give it to me :D pretty unlikely though, Lion is exceptionally good when comparing to Windows 7 (which is still a very good OS imo).

Tesla MP3 2021
How do you stop Safari loading the webpages you had open prior to closing it down last?

DB.

BMW 440i
Stop making me all jealous! I still have two weeks until I can order!

Been playing round on my dads though and very impressed so far, no idea what the complainers are on about with regards to the finder!

Tesla MP3 2021
How do you stop Safari loading the webpages you had open prior to closing it down last?

I don't want this feature!!!!!

Resume
When you launch Safari in Lion or restart your Mac, Safari automatically restores the open windows and tabs from your last browsing session, so you can continue right where you left off. In Snow Leopard and Windows, you can choose to have Safari automatically restore your windows and tabs in the General pane of Safari preferences. When you use Resume, Safari won’t restore web pages viewed when Private Browsing is on.

Adam, I think you can disable resume altogether, but for Safari, instead of using cmd+Q to quit, press opt+cmd+Q to fully quit. Then it will reopen with your homepage and nothing else.

Think of cmd+Q as now being quit-lite. Opt+cmd+Q for full-fat, resume cancelling quit.

If you tend to quit using the drop-down menu instead of cmd+Q, tap Safari in the menu bar as usual. Now press opt, and you'll see the menu item change from Quit Safari to Quit and Discard Windows.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Euge WTF are you on about? With some option tweaking, all of which have already been explained at least thrice, Finder looks and functions pretty much exactly the same as before. Are you going full r****d?

Back to my situation - minty blue gel fresh Lion install. Rapid as f**k. All my data and apps selectively restored. Time Machine wiped, now doing a fresh Lion backup on it. Fin.

LOL. Mate I'm so stupid with things like this, but because you're now old i will make it really clear for you.

With finder before i would click FINDER then lots of folders would open. From picture to downloads. Lets take pictures for example...

BEFORE i would click on finder to find this window
New-Mac-OS-X-10-6-Snow-Leopard-Finds-Screenshots-3.png

Then if i want to find p**n i would go.
PICTURES>EUGE STASH>MIDGET p**n = Boom I'm now looking at my desired selection.

NOW you click finder to find this s**t

WTF can't i just have folders instead of having all of my pictures and documents in 1 f**king place?

SAVVY?

Last edited by a moderator:
Finder > Preferences > General> New Finder Windows Show:

Select your desired folder. Fin.

This option was always there in Snow Leopard too mate. It's just been defaulted to All My Files in Lion.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Finder > Preferences > General> New Finder Windows Show:

Select your desired folder. Fin.

This option was always there in Snow Leopard too mate. It's just been defaulted to All My Files in Lion.

Perfect, Thank you very much. I just selected 'Euge' and now it should be the same as it was once before.

Tesla MP3 2021
Adam, I think you can disable resume altogether, but for Safari, instead of using cmd+Q to quit, press opt+cmd+Q to fully quit. Then it will reopen with your homepage and nothing else.

Think of cmd+Q as now being quit-lite. Opt+cmd+Q for full-fat, resume cancelling quit.

If you tend to quit using the drop-down menu instead of cmd+Q, tap Safari in the menu bar as usual. Now press opt, and you'll see the menu item change from Quit Safari to Quit and Discard Windows.

Sorted it now with a Terminal Command...

defaults write com.apple.Safari ApplePersistenceIgnoreState YES

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3197405?start=0&tstart=0

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I really need to become a mac geek, this thread makes me sad.

I'm a proper XP geek, but when on mac I feel no more superior that your average users. I think I need a mac work machine to achieve this....

^ LOL. I can relate to that. All of our work machines are PC, even this s**tty laptop I'm typing on now.

I relish getting back home to using a nice fast computer!

EDIT: And I even ditch my company issued notebook (some cheap compaq thing) and got a MBP when I do my travelling, and to use on shoots too ;)