ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Own a HTC Hero? Want 2.1?

Get it rooted and install the villainrom custom rom

its basically a rooted port of the Hero CDMA 2.1 rom (american sprint hero has already had their 2.1 update)
ive had this rom on my phone all the way from 1.0 beta and its now on 5.4! updates every week which just keeps getting better!.

so if you want 2.1 on your hero head over to here
http://www.villainrom.co.uk/

to get it rooted use this video or just google search plenty of guides about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neE5zA687hE

BMW 330ci Clubsport
Cyanogen is trialling his 2.1 rom at the moment as well (For G1 and MyTouch 3G) so that will probably be in development for Hero in 3-4 months

Funny you should mention this, was just reading about 2.0/2.1 update for the Magic, seems Vodafone still might be doing an OTA for the magic

BMW 330ci Clubsport
Seems I made a boo-boo. He doesn't do Hero roms. Could have sworn he did. Just checked the website and its only Nexus One/G1/MyTouch/Droid

soon to be 172
^ alot. android 2.1 pwnes everything else. Makes the iphone laughable.

Awaits the iphone flaming.

Golf GTi Mk2
Apparantly in june for the hero, will doing this kill my warranty as i got my hero on the 3 network only 3 months ago? 2.1 does look awesome.

koi

Audi S1
Apparantly in june for the hero, will doing this kill my warranty as i got my hero on the 3 network only 3 months ago? 2.1 does look awesome.

Shouldn't have any issues with warranty if you stick to original roms, just be prepared to wait a while for it to come out

White Sti Hatch
Im gonna leave it till the likes of MMS and Multiple Receipt SMS's are sorted out on it.

Im gonna leave it till the likes of MMS and Multiple Receipt SMS's are sorted out on it.

im not sure but i think thats been sorted now? its only due to the rom being based on the american cdma phones which are limited to what they can do by the networks,

june apparently the official update will be out but i bet they will push the date back again

Golf GTi Mk2
I just did this, works a treat, had to use the goldcard method which was a bit of a pain but all worked out in the end. Doesn't seem that much different to 1.5 at the moment but give it time.

i think its just like 1.5 is windows xp really then 2.1 is just a service pack rather than updating to vista (hope that made sense it did in my head :eek:)

but ive been on 2.1 for months now might go back to 1.5 and see whats different

soon to be 172
i think its just like 1.5 is windows xp really then 2.1 is just a service pack rather than updating to vista (hope that made sense it did in my head :eek:)

but ive been on 2.1 for months now might go back to 1.5 and see whats different

1.5 is like windows 98

2.1 is like windows 7 tbqfh although can't even compare android to Windows ,

Golf GTi Mk2
2.1 has been released for download on the Sprint hero in the states so hopefully we should see it soon over here, its a download in the US, not over the air.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I've got a hero, well a G2 touch. and i want the latest update for it. it hasnt been updated yet from new about 4-5 months ago.

how do i go about getting it updated and what do i need to do as i havn't updated any phone yet ie saving contacts and setting and that

thanks

links at the beginning of the page :) import the contacts to your sim and unfortunatly all the settings will have to be removed as the file structure has been changed. the official update is due apparently beginning of july now

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I just done the normal update, as it needed one, just looked the 2.1 as you said is in July which i though was out now, but never mind

Saved the contacts now for next time

what will the benefits for the update then 2.1?

i guess so, umm i guess (hope) theyre just going to jump to android 2.2 (theres people on xda devs working on it) benifits are live wallpaper, google navigation (could be on 1.5 i dont know as ive been on 2.1 for months!) and wifi tethering

if this sounds crap its because im pissed!!!!!!

just pop this in
villainrom 10 is out and its built with the official OTA (over the air) update for our heros, so that means that 2.1 is a matter of days away for unrooted heros :D

Golf GTi Mk2
Sweet, I followed the steps in post 1 and got 2.1 running but it didn't feel right, and every error was Google nexus related, I guess that's where the Rom was hacked from.

White Sti Hatch
just pop this in
villainrom 10 is out and its built with the official OTA (over the air) update for our heros, so that means that 2.1 is a matter of days away for unrooted heros :D

You got a direct link to download the ROM ??

White Sti Hatch
Did a factory reset on the Vanilla Rom and it seems to have cured a lot of the issues ! give it a go see how you get on mate !

I will report back tomoz after ive had a day of playing with it !