ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Owning a 182

Clio Sport - KR0*EVL
Hello,

Im james and im 21!

i got a quote from my insurer last night because ive just turned 21 of £1400!!

ive got a golf at the moment and had a clio in the past. im getting bored of the mundane german car and have decided i want a 182 cup.

I would like some advise if you would be so kind on:

MPG (i do about 30-40 miles a day)
TAX - How much is it
Ownership - is it stupid expensive to run?

I really need this infomation before i buy one!!

tried directline?
i got mine as i turned 21 (2 months ago) and i got my insurance for 960 3yr no claims fully comp etc!
MPG you'd probably get 30-something+ ?
TAX is £121/6months (not sure on year)
Ownership - i'll tell you when i find out (though i got advanced warranty with renault dealer so should be ok!)

hope some of that helped, if any!

RB FF 182
short drives with your foot down ur looking at like 26-28mpg, cruising down motorway I managed to get 35 mpg other day. this is with v-power

yep, i use the tesco "special(?)" petrol, and im on 27-28mpg, but i have had alot of fun drives (as it is new to me :) ) but i imagine if you are doing a 20 mile drive (eg work) there and back, you'd get some nice mileage!

monaco 172
short drives with your foot down ur looking at like 26-28mpg, cruising down motorway I managed to get 35 mpg other day. this is with v-power

how fast were you going down the motorway!!? On a 40 mile trip down the m1 i get an average of 45mpg if i stick at 67mph.

This is with remap, decat and ktek catbak system.

Clio Sport - KR0*EVL
cheers guys this is all very helpfull - as for insurance im using direct line but only 2 years no claims 3 years license and 1 claim. only problems is they dont accept my company car insurance. so just decided its easier to take the money atm. but want to get somthing fun.

DB.

BMW 440i
MPG can be up to 43 for me on the motorway.
MPG around Birmingham city centre/ semi urban is 32mpg+

Tax is £235

Other than the expensive cambelt change (£425ish), it is the same value to run as any other hatchback other than the insurance. Tyres are only 16" and services are relatively cheap.

I am 20 with 3 yrs NCB and managed £1600 for insurance, give Brentacre a call for a cheaper quote if you haven't already mate! :)

MCS R56
I found the Clio very reasonable on the wallet - decent MPG of just under 40, affordable tax and service. I wasn't paying £1400 for insurance though and wouldn't! Simply, not worth it IMO.

Clio Sport - KR0*EVL
thanks guys appreciate this. finding it hard to find somthing good for £5000 tho!!

I think my current car is worth more aswell 2005 Golf mk6 1.4 SE 5 door

BMW E36 328i Sport
I'm 20 with 1 years ncb got mines for £1540 (couldn't believe it tbh)

Cambelts are £450ish if you have aircon, no major costs apart from that

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
I've just turned 21 myself and paying £920 fully comp on a 172 Cup so insurance is ok.
I do around 40 miles a day to work, 30 of those are Duel Carriageaway and 10 are busy roads around the towns, I'm averaging around 42mpg according to the trip computer which I don't think is too bad.

MCS R56
I've just turned 21 myself and paying £920 fully comp on a 172 Cup so insurance is ok.
I do around 40 miles a day to work, 30 of those are Duel Carriageaway and 10 are busy roads around the towns, I'm averaging around 42mpg according to the trip computer which I don't think is too bad.

Trip computers are not normally accurate.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My insurance was also under 800 at 21 with 0NCB.
I moan it's expesnive to run, but it's not really.

MCS R56
350 compulsory and 250 voluntary I think.

Just don't claim, lol.

That's the hope!

That's the issue with young 'uns insuring a Clio - they might think £1500 @ age 21 is good value but if something happens, they could be paying more than £2000 by the time the excess kicks in. Then the renewal jumps...

BG 182 FF
Tax as stated is 235 for 12 months.
I am 21 and last year insurance i paid 1400 ish to insure, however now with 4 years no claims it has gone down quite a bit.
I drive a mixture of long runs and tottling about town and i get about 300 miles, maybe a bit more on a tank.
I would pay your membership fee and look at the buying guides in all honesty, but the main things are making sure belts have been done or when they are due next etc etc.
Hope that helps abit mate :)

R26 + EV0 FQ340
That's the hope!

That's the issue with young 'uns insuring a Clio - they might think £1500 @ age 21 is good value but if something happens, they could be paying more than £2000 by the time the excess kicks in. Then the renewal jumps...

I'm In the same boat. Looking at near 2k fully comp on a 182 or R26 and then another grand If I make a claim...

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Ive just bought a 182 and live in a 'bad postcode area' 40 years old full no claims £580 which i thought was expensive as my Subaru's were less than that:S

I managed 52 mpg having cruise control set to 50mph but on around 70-80 mph still was managing just above 40 mpg

RS Clio Trophy
try Adrian Flux, i've been with them for 5 years and not only are they one of the cheapest but when you actually need them they dont let you down!

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I get roughly 30-35mpg, all town driving and with foot down...
I had a massive excess to bring the insurance down on my GT5 when I was 21 (didn't crash it so I saved £500)....