ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PC/XB360/PS3] The Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim

People complaining about the interface seem to be PC users. How many times do I have to type the solution? lol.

Use the controller it wad designed for and all your problems will go away. It is s**t with K&M. Actual literal fact.

DCi
I disagree Roy, I've had no control bugs and it feels good to me. Must just be your old man hands.
1 very minor problem for me but otherwise I'm quite happy with K+M

I've just finished the Magic College quests... now that I've finished those and the Companions is this the general theme:

every time you complete a line of quests for a 'institution' for want of a better word, after the first 2 I've done, I'm now the leader- but since becoming companion leader I've not spoken a word to them :/ seems a bit odd- is there anything worth doing as a leader??

I disagree Roy, I've had no control bugs and it feels good to me. Must just be your old man hands.

Yeah that's fine mate. The point I'm making is that for those who do have some niggles with it, those niggles will go away if they use the x360 controller. Personal opinion and preference is one thing, but it cannot be denied that the game is designed to work best with a pad. When I switched to the xbox controller, the game suddenly clicked into place. It just works better. I respect the dogged refusal to deviate from K&M, but really, in this case it does the game no favours at all. IMO.

LOL at two different keys to get in an out of the same menu ;)

I was going to use a 360 controller, just to see what it was like. But then I realised you need a wired one for it to work, or need to buy one of those wireless adapters. f**k that, not spending even more money. Already paid out for 2 controllers! Even the play&charge cable doesn't work. The PC recognises it but wont let me use it, wtf.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Liking it so far! A midges short of Level 10 and 11 hours in.

Haven't tried downloading that keyboard fix yet, so I'll give that a go at some point. Either way, it's a frustration with the inputs rather than a game breaker. There's no way on this earth I'm unplugging the 360 controller downstairs from the Forza-machine for the superior accuracy of the mouse. Some of the long-range arrow shots I've managed have been nigh-on fecking amazing - even if I do say so myself. To loose that precision for a working inventory? Nah.

Anyways, Bethesda's on with an update patch - prinicpally for the consoles but it also covers the PC platform. Due the week after Thanksgiving, apparently.

Oh, and lol..... ;)

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/16/video-skyrims-pickpocketing-gets-sort-of-ridiculous/

D.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I'm level 25 now and have still done relatively f*ck all in a literal sense. 32 hours in. It's very addictive.

I still need to visit the greybeards, so that's where I am main quest wise. Been doing miscellaneous and side quests. Killed 5 dragons too.

Some of the enemies you just need to step back and avoid, TBH. Killing 3 Spiggans (I think that's their name) in the cave to help the chap out wasn't too much of a problem, but meeting the f*ckers outside is a different ball game. Run is the best tactic at the moment.

Currently on a quest with a dog as my sidekick. Has anyone done the House of Horrors quest? Apparently there's a hell of a weapon reward at the end which is best taken early on.

I'm level 25 now and have still done relatively f*ck all in a literal sense. 32 hours in. It's very addictive.

I still need to visit the greybeards, so that's where I am main quest wise. Been doing miscellaneous and side quests. Killed 5 dragons too.

Some of the enemies you just need to step back and avoid, TBH. Killing 3 Spiggans (I think that's their name) in the cave to help the chap out wasn't too much of a problem, but meeting the f*ckers outside is a different ball game. Run is the best tactic at the moment.

Currently on a quest with a dog as my sidekick. Has anyone done the House of Horrors quest? Apparently there's a hell of a weapon reward at the end which is best taken early on.

I know the ones you mean! They make sounds like bees and totally f**k you over. Likewise - killed them fine indoors. Took on 3 of them outside and ended up loading up a save from before they noticed me. Thank f**k for quick saving every few mins!

DCi
How do you get decent smithing skill then!?
dunno if this is really a spoiler or what but here goes smithing grinding:
1.find an enchanted weapon... learn the enchantment in the dragonreach thing (most profitable one I've found was something to do with making the undead flee but you will probably get a frost weapon near the start of the game)
2. collect a load of iron ingot/iron ore and leather strips (or you can get some money and buy them from the blacksmith near the entrance of whiterun and the general store)
3. make a shed load of iron daggers (doesn't matter if you smith an iron dagger or draggon armour, you smithing increases the same so just make the cheapest items)
4. use left over leather to make hide bracers or something
5. find a load of soul gems then use the enchanter in dragonreach to enchant your daggers
6. if you enchant you can sell your daggers for a better price, allowing you to just wait a day so the shops restock with iron ingot/ores

I'm about 85, hopefully soon I'll get some dragon armour, already got plenty of dragon bones/scales.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Some handy tips :

If you give a follower a torch, they'll equip it in dungeons or at night, lighting the way for you.
It's also worth noting that, due to a bug, items picked up by followers don't weigh anything, meaning they can carry an unlimited amount of stuff. To get them to pick something up, switch to command mode and point at it.

When you start the game, you won't be able to fast travel to any of the major holds - Markarth, Windhelm and so on. If you're in a rush and don't fancy riding there yourself, talk to the horse and carriage owner in the stables outside Whiterun (or any city for that matter) and he'll take you to whichever capital you choose for a small fee.

Just because you don't want to read Skyrim's massive selection of books doesn't mean you should ignore them. Certain books give you a skill boost related to their contents - a book about armour crafting, for example, might boost your heavy armour stats. You don't have to painstakingly read every book you see, though - scan over them and look at their values. If they're over 100, chances are they'll give you a boost. Any less and they're just plain ol' books.

Travel to Markarth and head up the street to your right until you see a guard in an argument with someone. Agree to help him investigate the nearby abandoned house, and you'll begin the 'House of Horrors' quest. Complete it and you'll receive a powerful enchanted mace that drains enemies' stamina and magicka. The earlier you get this the better, as it's incredibly powerful.

Each magic type in the destruction school has a different effect. Fire is pure, raw damage, and more powerful flame spells will set other enemies in their blast radius ablaze.
Shock magic deals similar damage, but will also drain an enemy's magicka. Good for when you're fighting against mages and the like. Finally, frost damage drains stamina and will slow an enemy down.

You can actually speed up the laborious mining animation by dual-wielding pickaxes and 'attacking' the ore vein. You can find a unique pickaxe at the very top of the Throat of the World called the 'Notched Pickaxe'. This increases your smithing skills and does shock damage to enemies.

Whenever you find an enchanted weapon - one with a status effect, like 'Orcish Sword of Flame' or 'Dwarven Sword of Leeching', don't sell it if you don't plan to use it. Instead, find an arcane enchanter table and disenchant the object. This will let you learn its effects and apply it to standard weapons (providing you have a filled soul gem). The benefit here is that your enchanting will level up rapidly and you can sell the magic items for a pretty penny.

The tip in bold helped me greatly, as I was unwittingly using the wrong magic on the mage class.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Best game ever made?

It's good; hell, it's very, very good. But not the best game ever, for me. You'd need to be deep into RPG's to deem it the best ever. Saying that, I'm enjoying it more than Fallout 3 and that sapped my existence. This is an epic addiction. 30+ hours now and I've still done nothing of real note. It's fantastic. Actually getting to the stage of dreaming about f*cking dragons now.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Dreaming about fcuking dragons? Thats a bit warped mate.

Tell me about it. I've spent far too long on the game in continuous bursts. Taking breaks is recommended. Should have took that advice on board.

It's a bit mental. Every time I leave the gates of Whiterun, a dragon skeleton is either already there, or is coming out of the ground. I also lolled when a mammoth suddenly came out of the sky.

Dreaming about it though? Yeah, you should probably play it less :eek:

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
It's a bit mental. Every time I leave the gates of Whiterun, a dragon skeleton is either already there, or is coming out of the ground. I also lolled when a mammoth suddenly came out of the sky.

Dreaming about it though? Yeah, you should probably play it less :eek:

LOL. It could well have been linked to Game of Thrones, in fairness.

Oh, and I've seen a couple of mammoths and a giant, but left them alone as I'd heard they can be a bit of a c*nt.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
It is very good. It is my first game like this, played fallout, but thought it was shite. Never played a "dungeon's and dragon's" type game before.

It's hard to explain, but if you approach the game without, I dunno, prejudice I guess towards the very geeky (IMO) world of this genre, and the stereotypes of the people who play it, and allow yourself to be taken in with the story and the whole idea of a fantasy world filled with different races etc. I am finding it very rewarding. But if were playing it thinking "this is gay, I don't want to turn into that guy who wears a wolf t-shirt" I wouldn't be enjoying it at all.

That doesn't make a huge amount of sense, but you get my drift?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Haha, yes. Well, to add to that, Dan Munson wasn't sure he wanted the game. Now he loves it.

Also, for those unaware, the shortcut for the items is to put them in your favourites list. Once there, simply tap up on the d-pad and you get the list you can select from. Best thing is it isn't real time either, so time pauses for you to select an option. Very handy if you need to regen health or magic.

Plus if you hold left or right on the d-pad while on an item in the favourites list, you can allocate them to that d-pad item and quickly equip when you want them.