ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 Turbo winter project

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Thought I'd better get round to putting a thread up seeing as i've owned the car for over 3 years now and this winter Ill be turbo charging it for my HND project at college.

Got the car pretty much standard and slowly over time got it to a half decent spec:

Engine:
197 cams
matched inlets
Homemade k-tec induction kit
K-tec solid mounts
air-con delete using saab pully
K-tec stealth with decat
Mapped and timed by Mike

Suspension:
Bilstien B14 coilovers
Pure motorsport top mounts
Pure motorsport 19mm RARB
Polybushed front ARB
Cup wishbones
Camber bolts

Interior:
Full Ph2 conversion
Recaro Pole position seats with OMP clubman harnesses
Sabelt wheel

Thats pretty much were the car stands to date, just brought the brakes and engine form Dr Kekyll Ph1 thats being broken so ill have a spare engine as the current one is high millage and a little awkward due to the 197 cams.

Plans are to start off doing a low boost conversion, but using a garrett GT2560 for when i rebuild the engine. Going to be ordering a adaptronic ecu pretty soon so i can start wiring that up and cleaning up the engine bay a little. May start by just wiring up the ecu and then having a go at mapping the current engine to get a feel for how to map a car (just been doing a lot of reading up so far). Its all going to be a steep learning curve but im looking forward to having a good go at it.

Anyway heres a few pictures of the car currently, next update should have some nice brakes fitted and hopefully a new ecu..
12169250_902699799778635_491354011_o.jpg
12169269_902699876445294_1335764127_o.jpg
12168721_902699809778634_1288114861_o.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
As above lovely seats, I've got the CS Sportsters in leather/alcantara but keep my eyes peeled for these.

As Dan mentioned the cams need swapping out, they have huge duration and massive overlap so they will never work with a Turbo. Chip tried and so have I with dismal results.

Stick with 1*2 cams

clio 182
I used yhe gt2560r turbo - mapping I'd tomorrow but it needs exhaust housing drilling to fit m10 studs and nuts to manifold I got mine professionally done and andy g does this too the housing will need rotating too and mine didn't come with a turbo resistor so had to order one... I will let you know how it goes after mapping !

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Hmmm I wouldn't drill your turbine T25 flange out to M10, you will struggle with the nuts. Your better off using stepped m8/m10 studs.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
You'll need to swap out the 197 cams, they don't work well on boost.

As above lovely seats, I've got the CS Sportsters in leather/alcantara but keep my eyes peeled for these.

As Dan mentioned the cams need swapping out, they have huge duration and massive overlap so they will never work with a Turbo. Chip tried and so have I with dismal results.

Stick with 1*2 cams

Yeah i thought they would be an issue so have brought the engine from Dr Jekyll which will be fitted when the turbo bits go on

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Thought I would do a little update to this:

So the cars basically been sat for the last few months, got the engine and brakes from Mark along with a few other bits (much appreciated!) Ive pretty much got the brakes fitted now, just need to make two new brake lines up at work as one needs a different fitting to fit the 197 the master cylinder and the drivers side line was stuck onto my old braided line so had to cut that.

Got a safety devices cage on order from Mark Fish so i can fit the harnesses properly and not just to where the old seatbelts mount. Looking to paint the floor in the back when i fit this as well to tidy it up abit.

Got the money sorted to start buying some bits for the turbo build now, going to get the expensive bits out the way so will get the turbo and adaptronic ecu this month hopefully. Plan now is to fit a thicker headgasket to the other engine while it is out of the car so i can run a little more boost in the meantime (looking for around 240-250bhp) Has anyone done this and has it worked well?

The car should be back on the road middle of this month as long as i can finish off the brakes and will be driving it until i've got all the bits ready. This should be around march/april time so plenty of time to make sure the cars spot on before turbo'n it! Anyway a few pictures of the brakes;
20151129_125153000_iOS.jpg
20151205_120153972_iOS.jpg
20151231_134551271_iOS.jpg

172 Turbo
@robmuns - For the boost pipes and turbo bits, check out TRWperformance.

If your cage is on the group buy, would you like me to collect it and bring it to Flitwick as I'm picking my own up?

I believe engine dynamics tun their exclusive at 280bhp with just a thicker head gasket - that cars been done for years also so im assuming pretty reliable

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
@robmuns - For the boost pipes and turbo bits, check out TRWperformance.

If your cage is on the group buy, would you like me to collect it and bring it to Flitwick as I'm picking my own up?

Cheers for the offer but my brother and mate are getting cages from the group by too so think we're all going down to collect them anyway

Nice :wink:

Will need regular updates/pics now :wink:
Defiantly! things should start moving a little quicker once its back on the road

This is gonna be sweet. Please tell me your college paid for it to be done too :wink:

Cheers, and haha unfortunately not!

I believe engine dynamics tun their exclusive at 280bhp with just a thicker head gasket - that cars been done for years also so im assuming pretty reliable

Thats good to know, 240-250 shouldn't be to much of an issue then hopefully! Do you know what thickness head gasket is good to use, just megane thickness or thicker still?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
@AlexW Should be able to help.

It was him that was helping me with the breaking of mine who you spoke to then and before when you picked up the gearbox, who works for engine dynamics.

So is that 250 with just a thicker head gasket but standard internals?
Sounds good
Pretty sure Mike at MWM got close to 300 with that set up i think...

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
@AlexW Should be able to help.

It was him that was helping me with the breaking of mine who you spoke to then and before when you picked up the gearbox, who works for engine dynamics.
ahh cool, yeah will pm him to see what he reckons
So is that 250 with just a thicker head gasket but standard internals?
Sounds good
Pretty sure Mike at MWM got close to 300 with that set up i think...
I think they had it at 260, then took it up to 300 where it then bent a rod
Nice build, will be following with interest :smile:

when you say the current/old engine is awkward with the 197 cams what do you mean?
basically the cams dont work well with boost so need to be swapped for standard ones but as there was a standard engine for sale at the time figured it would be easier to just swap the engines

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Small update:

Cars pretty much ready for its mot, just got to bleed the brakes through and put the car back on and should be good to go!

Been busy spending lots of money though, I've now got the ecu, turbo, 1.6mm head gasket and some nice black coolant hoses. Going to be ordering the rest of what I need this week, so should have all the parts ready by the end of the month when the build can begin!

I've also now got some genuine Renault timing tools, so can make a start fitting the head gasket.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

rsdan

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph2 182
Car looks smart , it's going to be really nice when it's done :up:

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Another update,

Got the car insured again and back on the road, was hoping to have the conversion well underway by now but still waiting on the rest of the bits I need from Andy at clio turbo so just been enjoying actually having the car back for now.

Got the brakes fully bled up with clip now and they're a massive improvement on my nackered old calipers, love the look of them behind the f1's too literally just fit!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Now got a safety devices rear cage in so I can mount my harnesses better rather than straight to the floor but don't really have any pictures of that atm.
image.jpeg

And quick picture with my brothers ph1
image.jpeg

Also trail mounted my intercooler and then realized after the photo I'd bolted it in the wrong way up! I'm undecided as to weather I'm going to spray it black to hide it or not.

image.jpeg

Had a go a little go at timing up the other engine while it was on the stand as I've never done a belt on these before and it seemed to all be fine after I'd done it (tool fitted in ect) so going to take the head off this week probably as I've now got all the bits for the engine at least.

Thanks for reading!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Ah man, when I see the update, I though we'd have boost 😧

Glad your happy with the brakes. The do look awesome behind the wheels and I'm glad your happy with the improvement on them too.

It's funny how the same cars can look so different side by side in the pic above with different color wheels and side strips.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Ah man, when I see the update, I though we'd have boost 😧

Glad your happy with the brakes. The do look awesome behind the wheels and I'm glad your happy with the improvement on them too.

It's funny how the same cars can look so different side by side in the pic above with different color wheels and side strips.
Yeah unfortunately been waiting for ages for the rest of the parts to arrive! Yeah they're awesome mate,pedal is much more progressive now!

I know they look very different next to eachother, and with the different mods they sound/ drive very different too!

Hopefully the next update will include some better progress with the boost.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
image.jpg
Well I now have boost!

Brought this last Friday its 280bhp and goes like stink! Can't believe how well these cars put the power down, barely wheelspins, doesn't really torque steer, just goes! The map from efi is absolutely perfect, car doesn't have a great deal of mid-range but pulls very strong from 5k all the way to 7k so still needs to revved out to get it to go which I like.

Engine bay and other bits need tidying up a little and I'll be swapping the good bits over from my old one then breaking that for parts, so another iceberg ph1 bites the dust unfortunately.

Going to be fitting the turbo kit I've been putting together onto my brothers car so still get to say I've fitted a turbo kit to a clio at least and will help me if I get any issues with this one

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Thought I'd better get round to putting a thread up seeing as i've owned the car for over 3 years now and this winter Ill be turbo charging it for my HND project at college.

See - that's where I'm going wrong. The last college work I did centred around the project management implementation of a company-wide time & attendance system. Not a hint of turbo or even Clio was mentioned...... :(

Forgive my ignorance (and it's probably been mentioned loads of times) - but isn't dropping a Meg 225 lump into these and easier way to get mid-200s in BHP? Or are there lots of fabrication/fitting and other fettlings that need to be done?

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Y
See - that's where I'm going wrong. The last college work I did centred around the project management implementation of a company-wide time & attendance system. Not a hint of turbo or even Clio was mentioned...... 😧

Forgive my ignorance (and it's probably been mentioned loads of times) - but isn't dropping a Meg 225 lump into these and easier way to get mid-200s in BHP? Or are there lots of fabrication/fitting and other fettlings that need to be done?
yeah was quite fortunate that they let me do it, although due to a delay in getting parts it turned out to be theoretical project rather than actually doing which was unfortunate.

People have put the 225 engines in but it's not a straight fit and requires modification on the chassis leg and engine mounts, custom driveshafts ect and I think you'd need the clocks and loom too unless you run aftermarket management.

Mines got megane internals fitted so isn't too different anyway, just don't get the 6 speed gearbox

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
update time..

The cars been running okay, been enjoying the extra power and surprising quite a few high end cars, still can't believe how well the car handles the extra power though, almost like it needs more lol

The cars had some issues though,

The turbo inlet hose wasn't really attached lol
image.jpeg

So that's now all jubile clipped on properly and the car is now fluttering much more! Dread to think what would have happened if this had come off!

The oil return is touching the downpipe currently and starting to melt through..
image.jpeg

Unfortunately the pipe is too short to keep away from the down pipe so I'm going to order a longer one and make something up to keep it away from the downpipe.

The turbo has been rubbing though the heatshield and seems to have different washers fitted which doesn't help..
image.jpeg

Doesn't look too bad in the picture but it's gone right through the heatshield and is rubbing on the clutch cable.. Not the brake line though luckily!

The heatshield was just inadequate and didn't cover the master cylinder or resivor at all, I've now fitted a better one and the car doesn't cook the brakes without even braking now which is a bonus, going to be fitting my 4 pots with braided lines and super blue fluid as everything is standard atm ( bit lethal really)
image.jpeg

New vs old

The whole intake pipe work was a mess so I've sorted this out, but I'm going to be relocating the battery in the back so will re do all the pipe work when I do this as the whole lot is not very good.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Also from what I can see the wiring is abit of a mess for the ecu and I'm not a fan of the gauges the previous owner fitted.
I'm going to be putting a ph2 dash in so will sort all this when I get around to doing this.

image.jpeg

I really like having the gauges where the head unit would be so I've decided to keep that and buy this for music instead..
image.jpg

Alpine dab radio thing which can connect to an iPod and aux too with a line out which I'll connect to the amp which will then power the speakers.. All of this is will be hidden away with just the little display mounted on the dash somewhere.

For the gauges I've decided to do a little project for this.. I'm going to be using an arduino micro controller with pressure transducers for oil pressure and boost pressure, k-type thermocouples for egt and oil temp and I've just brought an innovate lc-2 wideband controller which has an analogue output so hopefully can be connected to the arduino too!

This will all be out putted to two 16x2 lcd screens which I'll mount where the head unit would be, hopefully the finall install will look quite neat and oem looking and will be able to add many more sensors without having loads of horrible gauges everywhere! (The arduino has like 16 analogue inputs) I should be able to program in warning buzzers ect too, it will all be a learning curve but if it goes well I'll have multiple pressure and temp sensors and an afr readout all for under £300

Other things I've done is fitted the bilstiens as I didn't like the gaz coilovers, fitted the recaros and got the tracking done with -1.2 camber on the front.. The rear beam is pretty straight too which is a bonus!

Plans include:

Ph2 dash
Fit rear cage
Paint rear black (it's fully stripped at the back)
Fit carbon rear door cards
Arduino gauge project
New rear beam bushes(power flex)
Pure Motorsport RARB
Pure Motorsport top mounts with brace
Stud conversion
Battery relocation
Re- boost pipes
Paint intercooler black
Front end respray with ally bonnet to go on
Air con delete
Get my cup spoiler painted
Pure motorsport exhaust as I hate the current one
Get the map redone once the pipe work is done and check its running 100%

That should all hopefully be done this year all things going well!

Eventually I'd like a diff.. The car puts the power down quite well already so I'm going to hold out as its a big expensive and the gearbox is holding up well atm so just going to run it till the gearbox s***s it's self.

Turned out to be a very long update so we'll done if you've made it this far lol here's a few crap phone pics of the car..

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 125