ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph2 Clio 172 vs. Super/Turbocharged MINI Cooper S

MCS R56
So a JMS remap is not worth it? Yeah I will defo try practising a few times...determined not to lose to a MINI :)

Depends what you are looking for. I reckon you'll notice an improved throttle response but as for performance...? Maybe a slightly better pull lower down.

I reckon if you know how to get the best start and don't muck up any gears, you'll be quicker. Just don't break your car trying!!

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Mini imo.. if the mini's been slightly breathed on then it'll piss you

ph1 sunflower
i raced a supercharged cooper s last week and beat him by about 3 car lenths, the sunflower is standard and has a crappy ph2 airbox on it...

clio 172 phase 2
My wife owns a 08 plate Cooper s. Well built car imo.

........you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever against the cooper s. If you do, it's your driving or your cars F****D.

clio 172 iceburg silver
LOL - This was where i got confused as the S stood for Supercharged or so i have always been lead to believe!

Taking the Supercharger away but still calling it the same thing doesnt make sense to me.

It was called the S standing for sport like in the old mini, they changed over to the turbo as it ran more fuel efficiently and dropped the road tax from £220 a year to £145 on the emissions... they also put in an overdrive button on the turbo to give you and extra 10bhp kick to aid overtaking and also a took away the turbo lag..

MCS R56
It was called the S standing for sport like in the old mini, they changed over to the turbo as it ran more fuel efficiently and dropped the road tax from £220 a year to £145 on the emissions... they also put in an overdrive button on the turbo to give you and extra 10bhp kick to aid overtaking and also a took away the turbo lag..

Was it not a shot of torque, like 30lbs/ft?

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
Having just sold a Cooper S (supercharged R53 model), if the mini is completely standard and you pull away ok you should beat it. If it's had a smaller supercharger pulley put on it, but no other mods then you could be in trouble - as the supercharger pulley mod made mine so much quicker.

I was pretty much bang on the same performance as my mate's 172 cup, and that had exhaust/decat/airbox mod/remap and was part stripped out.

You may find a load of other minis at the strip that are blindingly fast - a lot of the lads over on Mini Torque are putting out between 250 - 300bhp from their minis.

Tangoed Works
I had a go with a standard mcs years back in my 182 and was pulling on him in 4th gear quite easily. He commented that the 182 was pretty quick.

I know from experience with my mcs jcw (11% reduced pulley, slightly ported head, exhaust) that I am even / slightly quicker than a MK4 R32. Had couple of goes.

Std for standard 172 will have a bog standard R53 MCS pre faclift. The Facelift ones have shorter ratios so are a bit nippier and slightly more powerful.

However some standard Mcs have RR'd with 190bhp plus. As said, all you need is a 15% reduction pulley on the MCS and you will gain at least 20 bhp, for around £250 fitted.

glanza
the "S" in cooper S stands for "sport", considering most cooper sport drivers ive seen are middle aged women if it was called a cooper supercharged i think they would be like wtf is supercharged! lol

my old 172 was near identical to my mates supercharged cooper s, top end i felt he had more oomf with the 6th gear though.

1.4 phase 1
The JCW GP2 is a different kettle of fish (although my old polo made one look very silly - the driver and the passenger were laughing at me thinking they'd leave me - they didn't realise it had a 20vt lump in it with just shy of 300bhp!!! SHOCK!)

I think the 172 vs old / new cooper s will be fairly even - but atleast you won't look like a total gay boy in the clio sport!

lol the power of a sleeper.

clio 172 phase 2
the "S" in cooper S stands for "sport", considering most cooper sport drivers ive seen are middle aged women if it was called a cooper supercharged i think they would be like wtf is supercharged! lol

my old 172 was near identical to my mates supercharged cooper s, top end i felt he had more oomf with the 6th gear though.
LMFAO! Must have been something wrong with your 172 then, no wonder you sold it;)

Last edited:
  clio 172 phase 2
The 172 is a fair bit quicker in a straight line than the "earlier supercharged" Cooper s(both standard).
It's more comparable in straight line performance with the "later turbocharged" Cooper s, (wife owns a 08 one) .
Having driven both, I would have to say that her car has better in gear responses although the 172 is still fractionaly quicker from a standstill till about a ton. The Mini however is a much more relaxing & refined drive.

Black Ph2 172
The 172 is a fair bit quicker in a straight line than the "earlier supercharged" Cooper s(both standard).
It's more comparable in straight line performance with the "later turbocharged" Cooper s, (wife owns a 08 one) .
Having driven both, I would have to say that her car has better in gear responses although the 172 is still fractionaly quicker from a standstill till about a ton. The Mini however is a much more relaxing & refined drive.

Good to hear :) - read that Evo article and was good to read that comfortably quicker than s'charged version. What differences did you notice when removing acoustic valve???

clio 172 phase 2
Good to hear :) - read that Evo article and was good to read that comfortably quicker than s'charged version. What differences did you notice when removing acoustic valve???
The car felt more responsive, seemed to pull harder across the rev range. Worth doing imo as it's FREE. Some people notice a difference, some don't. I did though.

clio 172 phase 2
How easy is it to do? Plus can it be put back on easily??
There is a guide on here somewhere about how to do it. That's what I followed. Easy enough to do 1hr tops, can easily be put back also. Make sure you find the guide with the pic's, makes life a lot easier.

Iceberg 172
I had a play with a turbocharged cooper s on the way back from Eastbourne yesterday. I was really amazed by how well the 172 did. Was one of the first proper plays I've had. My 172 is bog STD and it was slightly quicker.

The mini seemed like it was having to change gears much earlier and I was pulling away once I got to about 5500rpm.

They're nice cars though.

clio 172 phase 2
I had a play with a turbocharged cooper s on the way back from Eastbourne yesterday. I was really amazed by how well the 172 did. Was one of the first proper plays I've had. My 172 is bog STD and it was slightly quicker.

The mini seemed like it was having to change gears much earlier and I was pulling away once I got to about 5500rpm.

They're nice cars though.
Agreed.

Monaco 172
There is a guide on here somewhere about how to do it. That's what I followed. Easy enough to do 1hr tops, can easily be put back also. Make sure you find the guide with the pic's, makes life a lot easier.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but so I don't get told off for starting a new one, where is the guide for acoustic valve removal? I have looked in all the guides in the guides section and can't find it, could someone please link me? :)

For the OP, I had a 'spirited drive' up to 70 with a Cooper S R56 (convertible) a while back, he was alone, i had a passenger and the noise coming from it was immense but I was about 2 car lengths ahead when we got to around 70 and then he proceeded to drive stupidly so I remained at 70, doesn't make me a hero before I get slated, it was on a dual carriageway at 11pm.

Please don't shoot me firing squad of CS :)