ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Piper Cams VS Cat Cam 428 (RESULTS)

Ph1
Heres a comparison. Blue lines are the cat cams which a marked onto the Piper graph to show the difference.

Top 2 lines are torque, bottom pair are BHP. Losses are massive up to 4.5 thou rpm especially the torque.

186a.jpg

Torque directly affects your power output, the simple equation is rpm x ftlb's / 5252 = bhp

That's why a graph will always cross at 5252rpm, when they use the same scale for ftlb's and bhp

Your lack of Torque low down is the reason you're experiencing the kick, before you made good torque and now you not :dapprove:

Chris

Artic 182
Thats a bumpy looking power curve you've got there, A few factors to consider are ambient temperature and and / or map. Am i right in thinking you said there was 11months between tests? My old 106 track car use to vary by 5-7bhp throughout the year

RS RIP
Torque directly affects your power output, the simple equation is rpm x ftlb's / 5252 = bhp

That's why a graph will always cross at 5252rpm, when they use the same scale for ftlb's and bhp

Your lack of Torque low down is the reason you're experiencing the kick, before you made good torque and now you not :dapprove:

Chris

Chris, did you get in contact with Mauro yet ? For the italian metal ?

ITB'd MK1
nothing wrong with shrick performance wise. Dont like the insert in the exhaust cam though, if it moves it throws the timing out, fail. (seen it happen, 4 other techs/garages tried to find the running fault) Not worth the extra though.

ITB'd MK1
se7en172 had it happen on his cup when his uncle did the cambelt, turned the cam with the locking tool and the insert span. Yoz's old ones didn't have the insert and were about an inch shorter as a result. Did have pictures but dont have them now

Ph1
Bought a compression tester so will see what this shows if anything.

Wonder if its also worth replacing the HT leads? The ones im running are knocking on 8 years old and were used after a unrelated missfire 3 weeks ago on the old leads.

Ph1
Wonder if the miss-fire i had less than 30 miles after the cams were fitted could have something to do with it?

Just been searching and someone listed ''missfire'' as one of the symptoms of incorrect timing....Hmmmm

Ph1
Had it up at Crail today.

My best time with the 428's (14.9 @ 97) couldnt even beat my worst time with the Pipers (14.745) plus im running a lot lighter now + lighter wheels.

Gonna have to seriously look into this now its been confirmed as pants

Ph1
I asked them that, well, if they'd changed to new gear but they said no its the same. Other FWD car times have been poor iv noticed although theyve changed the sequence of the lights so this could be the reason?

My other times where pretty consistant low 15's :dead: , far cry from its hay day of 14.4

60ft is a real problem, best 2.4, worst 2.8 with the average being 2.7

Edited, you mean timing on the car lol - Everyone reckons it looks ok going by the graph on page 1 but its one of the things im going to have to check. Im not convinced like. Strange how it goes in for its belts doing, gets better cams (on paper) yet looses a barrow load of bottom end torque and overall the cars a hell of a lot slower.

Last edited:
  Ph1
Was that with road tyres Fred?

How do i check the timing? Can i do it without the locking tools by say lining up the crank pulley to its marking, TDC and then seeing how the cams line up at the top? Is there markings on the cam pulleys?

Lionel Richie
it was on stone cold R888 with -3.5deg camber, so not ideal for 1/4miling, couldn't warm the tyres due to the broken box mount :(

need the tools really mate, who fitted them? just some random garage?

Ph1
Nah Renault did it.

After getting the RR result i got them to double check the timing but the lad who originally did the fitting was the one who checked it which i thought was a bit stupid as he's hardly going to own up if they werent done right..

Yeah i had the same problem a few years back with the 888's. Found the Yoko Parada's to give more off the line grip