ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power Tool Perverts

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the input, decided to bin off the SDS and 3rd battery for now as the first jobs I’ve got planned don’t need a huge amount of masonry drilling so I’ll add them on once things get a bit more exciting.
As much as I want the SDS, unless your outside or up a ladder a £30 corded s**t one is pretty hard the beat.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Don't be daft, trust me once you have one you will be glad you have it

I will buy it when I need it but at this stage I’ll be buying it and it won’t really be needed for maybe 3 months so not much point. I’m trying to be sensible.

Again you're welcome to come play with my red headed tool if you want to get a feel for how juicy they are.

What do you have to play with?!

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
I will buy it when I need it but at this stage I’ll be buying it and it won’t really be needed for maybe 3 months so not much point. I’m trying to be sensible.

What do you have to play with?!

As @Yorkshire Pudding says, I'm well invested in makita as a prosumer I think the term is. I have pretty much one of everything they offer across the 18v lxt tool and garden range and some plug in stuff.

I sense you've already bought Milwaukee, which I've never used myself. Seen a few people with it and heard it's very good but I'm too far down with makita to swap now.

As for the makita, it's all down to task and what you do with it. I'm a massive brand whore so once I start I stick with them even when I know it's not the 'best' tool per-se.

Eg the makita track saw is a little loose in the guides, I gather the festool or mafelle is more precise but the makita is more powerful. The 36v grinder a bit clunky and the 18v ratchet seems to numb to use I've not even bothered. But having said that I've put 20mm holes in old clay brick with my 36v sds up a ladder without breaking sweat and built several sheds with the battery tools.

The 240v stuff all has plenty of power and a couple of warranty claims I've had have been dealt with easily and without cost. I burnt out a 240v cheap 25 quid makita grinder years ago chasing back boxes into brick then dressing welds for hours without cleaning it so it had a hard life.

The stuff is good and the range is one of the best out there. It's not all industry leading in the class but no brand tops all categories. Batteries are decent and I've used some for 15 years without issue.

As Dan has offered, you're welcome to come and have a play with any of it if you want to get a feel for it against other stuff.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
As @Yorkshire Pudding says, I'm well invested in makita as a prosumer I think the term is. I have pretty much one of everything they offer across the 18v lxt tool and garden range and some plug in stuff.

I sense you've already bought Milwaukee, which I've never used myself. Seen a few people with it and heard it's very good but I'm too far down with makita to swap now.

As for the makita, it's all down to task and what you do with it. I'm a massive brand whore so once I start I stick with them even when I know it's not the 'best' tool per-se.

Eg the makita track saw is a little loose in the guides, I gather the festool or mafelle is more precise but the makita is more powerful. The 36v grinder a bit clunky and the 18v ratchet seems to numb to use I've not even bothered. But having said that I've put 20mm holes in old clay brick with my 36v sds up a ladder without breaking sweat and built several sheds with the battery tools.

The 240v stuff all has plenty of power and a couple of warranty claims I've had have been dealt with easily and without cost. I burnt out a 240v cheap 25 quid makita grinder years ago chasing back boxes into brick then dressing welds for hours without cleaning it so it had a hard life.

The stuff is good and the range is one of the best out there. It's not all industry leading in the class but no brand tops all categories. Batteries are decent and I've used some for 15 years without issue.

As Dan has offered, you're welcome to come and have a play with any of it if you want to get a feel for it against other stuff.

Thanks mate, good post. I haven’t quite hit buy yet on the Milwaukee kit but I think I’m going to..

I like the Makita stuff but I think I prefer the red stuff as an overall package for what I want it for.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Alternatively, like a true champion, you could buy some Ryobi stuff?

200.gif

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Whatever DIY you’re doing get a multi tool.

Ive already got a decent 240v one, but again when I start to need it more I’ll one to match the kit.
If I buy every tool I ever need right now I’m then going to struggle to buy the materials that I need to actually do the jobs!

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks mate, good post. I haven’t quite hit buy yet on the Milwaukee kit but I think I’m going to..

I like the Makita stuff but I think I prefer the red stuff as an overall package for what I want it for.

No problem, unlike the red army I'm not particularly moody when someone buys a different brand and won't go on slating your mum and sister 🤣.

I actually think for mechanical works Milwaukee is a better brand with better tools. The impact wrenches and ratchets look brilliant for their use and really ergonomic.

I can't see you'll go far wrong with them!

• Haha
Reactions: Pep

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Anybody got such a thing as a precise impact/screw driver for use with small screws in electronics and the like?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Used my new combi and impact for the first time today. Considering I used to work with power tools every day as a joiner I can’t believe how far they’ve come in the last 8 years. The impact has brutal power!

Money very well spent!

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
Used my new combi and impact for the first time today. Considering I used to work with power tools every day as a joiner I can’t believe how far they’ve come in the last 8 years. The impact has brutal power!

Money very well spent!
How many screws did you snap?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member

Money very well spent!
Glad you like it! I've only used the impact a fair few times but it's mental how it just keeps screwing the screw in relentlessly.

I like the balance in the hand too, despite it having a 5amp battery fitted, the weight is quite low so it feels really nimble. Quite hard to explain but I'm sure you'll know what I mean.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Money very well spent!
I recently went from a bosch piece of s**t to a nice 18v dewalt set, I can’t believe how much time I wasted drilling holes in walls and screwing in big ass screws with that s**t thing.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Milwaukee big boy impact randomly stopped working the other day. Mode button dead and the took would only work shortly after putting a battery on, if for any reason you left it for 2 seconds it just went into a coma

Filed a warranty repair, sent it on Monday and recieved it back Friday morning all fixed and working again. Belter

Always good service with their warranty.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Glad you like it! I've only used the impact a fair few times but it's mental how it just keeps screwing the screw in relentlessly.

I like the balance in the hand too, despite it having a 5amp battery fitted, the weight is quite low so it feels really nimble. Quite hard to explain but I'm sure you'll know what I mean.

Properly impressed with it, I was only screwing into timber today but it takes no effort at all. Some masonry stuff tomorrow.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
No I haven't, personally I wouldn't touch any refurbished units. Prices don't seem to be that great too.

I'd use powertoolmate.co.uk

Yeah powertoolmate was where I got my previous stuff from. I was just shown this site this evening and get where you are coming from in regards to refurbed units. However I am lead to believe that some of the stuff are returns with just the packaging damaged.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah powertoolmate was where I got my previous stuff from. I was just shown this site this evening and get where you are coming from in regards to refurbed units. However I am lead to believe that some of the stuff are returns with just the packaging damaged.
Registering anything second hand is w**k for warranties. Typically Milwaukee will only repair s**t if you've got valid proof of purchase from a reputable seller

Clio 2.0 138hp
Help me decide which cordless ratchet to buy
ive been looking a the 3/8 fuel high speed version
but then i saw the long reach versions and the 1/4 versions and now im stuck with 4 of the things in my basket with no idea which i actually need.
Will be used for general car work, (calipers, engine bay, interior etc)
I was thinking about getting the 3/8 and using an adapter for 1/4, but most of my bit tools are 1/4 so id be forever looking for the adapter.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Help me decide which cordless ratchet to buy
ive been looking a the 3/8 fuel high speed version
but then i saw the long reach versions and the 1/4 versions and now im stuck with 4 of the things in my basket with no idea which i actually need.
Will be used for general car work, (calipers, engine bay, interior etc)
I was thinking about getting the 3/8 and using an adapter for 1/4, but most of my bit tools are 1/4 so id be forever looking for the adapter.

Power wise the 1/4 and 3/8 are the same.

Long reach 3/8 for me.

Clio 2.0 138hp
Power wise the 1/4 and 3/8 are the same.

Long reach 3/8 for me.
Im being swayed towards 3/8 based on most peoples reviews. I really want the long reach too, but not sure if i can justify the extra price.
Thanks for your input, make that 1 vote for 3/8 long

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I have the normal 3/8th one and although I want the long reach as well I think it would be a bit bulky for most of the stuff I've used it for so far, I'm also happy with the normal speed one, the new faster one comes at the price of reduced torque and for most normal length bolts you would be saving seconds which doesn't really feel worth it.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve got a long one and I do think it’s more useful on the job. Great for poking into tight areas but obvious downside is sometimes being unable to crack stuff free with the length becoming a hindrance in that respect.

The way I justified the long neck was thinking worse case you have to crack a tight one off with a short ratchet but you can still save time and whizz it off after with the electric one . But if you’ve just got the short one you may not be able to get it on some fasteners.

Just done a starter motor earlier and the long neck would have won there too. Up from underneath past driveshaft and zip one bolt, then from above long neck goes down past wiring loom, coolant hose and whizz that off.

I think I’ll prob get a 1/4” short one at some point too just for the crack off access. But the perfect ‘one only’ would be 1/4” long neck with a 3/8” anvil (they got straight on the 1/4” ratchet). I would have gone that route but couldn’t find a 3/8” a bill in U.K.