ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power Tool Perverts

infiniti m35h
Is that what you do restore lathes? I have an issue with mine so might throw a question or two in here if that’s ok 😂

hopefully will start stripping mine later, but basically it’s a holbrook lathe and to operate you lift the handle for forward and push it down for reverse.
Now it has a mind of its own and won’t be in the middle so it’s constantly spinning.

not sure what’s on the back of the handle u til I strip it, could be a cam system or some sort of clutch maybe? I can still use it but it’s a bit w**k! View attachment 1612997
The handle operates the forward - reverse- stop via engaging contactors in the electrical panel which is at the tailstock end of the lathe. There's an end panel that has four allen bolts and inside the cover is the majority of the electrical system for the lathe. Could be mechanical ie. the handle isn't moving the shaft because the keyway is too worn etc, but more likely to be electrical.
Best get someone to look at it. If original that will have a 10hp motor at 415v which is pretty much instant death in the wrong circumstances.

infiniti m35h
Nah, just tinkering in the garage.

@Beauvais Motorsport looks like he knows what he's doing!
Is that what you do restore lathes? I have an issue with mine so might throw a question or two in here if that’s ok 😂

hopefully will start stripping mine later, but basically it’s a holbrook lathe and to operate you lift the handle for forward and push it down for reverse.
Now it has a mind of its own and won’t be in the middle so it’s constantly spinning.

not sure what’s on the back of the handle u til I strip it, could be a cam system or some sort of clutch maybe? I can still use it but it’s a bit w**k! View attachment 1612997
Sorry ignore my last post regarding your Holbrook. The later H series lathes had electrical forward/reverse switching and this was reflected on the control buttons on the headstock buttons which had forward/reverse. Yours is earlier and the forward/reverse is mechanical. When you move the handle this moves a lever on the other side of the headstock that operates clutches within the headstock itself. You can check the operation of these by removing the side panel on the headstock which exposes these clutches. If you look at the photo attached it's the straight upright bar at the front end of the headstock and it runs under the side panel I mentioned.

Attachments

• s-l500 (1).jpg
    s-l500 (1).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 39

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I really like Jun-Air and Hydrovane compressors.

I have a Hydrovane 501:

And at work have a Jun Air 25l they also do a 50l.

However these days Hyundai seem easier to buy:

Either way if you can get a quiet one!

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry ignore my last post regarding your Holbrook. The later H series lathes had electrical forward/reverse switching and this was reflected on the control buttons on the headstock buttons which had forward/reverse. Yours is earlier and the forward/reverse is mechanical. When you move the handle this moves a lever on the other side of the headstock that operates clutches within the headstock itself. You can check the operation of these by removing the side panel on the headstock which exposes these clutches. If you look at the photo attached it's the straight upright bar at the front end of the headstock and it runs under the side panel I mentioned.
Sorry hadn’t seen your replies, I will have a look at this as soon as I get the chance! Thank you

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Aye was looking to get a quieter one as it'll be in our staging room @Touring_Rob
The Jun-Air/Hyundai ones are properly quiet, advertised as silent. Just remembered we also have one of these at work which I bought about 5 years ago:

Its a little louder than a fridge (so quiet) and its been under a work bench in production for 5 years and those c***s won't have EVER switched it off or checked the oil and its still going strong.

Hydrovane is more industrial but no where near as quiet, you can still hold a conversation with it on so its not loud but isn't near silent like the others. I have the Hydrovane in the garage because is has decent CFM, enough for my spray gun.

What will it be used for?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
The Jun-Air/Hyundai ones are properly quiet, advertised as silent. Just remembered we also have one of these at work which I bought about 5 years ago:

Its a little louder than a fridge (so quiet) and its been under a work bench in production for 5 years and those c***s won't have EVER switched it off or checked the oil and its still going strong.

Hydrovane is more industrial but no where near as quiet, you can still hold a conversation with it on so its not loud but isn't near silent like the others. I have the Hydrovane in the garage because is has decent CFM, enough for my spray gun.

What will it be used for?
Tbh mate it'll only be used here and there for blowing out machines and s**t, mostly for the blowgun but I'll deffo be buying air tools as well because why the f**k not🫣🤣

MK2 PH2 1.2 16V
Tbh mate it'll only be used here and there for blowing out machines and s**t, mostly for the blowgun but I'll deffo be buying air tools as well because why the f**k not🫣🤣

we’ve got a couple of SIP ones at our work for cleaning filters and s**t. But if work are paying go for an almig bigboi. Prices flying up though.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Is this the panel you meant? Trying to have a look at it now as it’s losing its speed with every cut

B59354FC-0168-4AE8-9F21-EDB34011508A.jpeg

infiniti m35h
Is this the panel you meant? Trying to have a look at it now as it’s losing its speed with every cut

View attachment 1618054
No it's not these they are just the drive for the threads/feeds. On the other side of the lathe you'll see a lever that runs up to and then into the headstock itself, That lever is operated by the forward - stop-reverse lever on the shaft that you use to operate the lathe. The lever operates rods that run through the machine and up into the headstock. If you remove the side plate on the headstock - it's a metal cover with several allen bolts - you will see that that lever engages and disengages a couple of clutches. it's not definite but it sounds like the lever just isn't disengaging the clutches completely hence the fact that the lathe keeps running If you can get someone to move the lever while you watch the operation of the clutches then you may be able to solve your problem. Obviously don't do any of this with the lathe under power.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
No it's not these they are just the drive for the threads/feeds. On the other side of the lathe you'll see a lever that runs up to and then into the headstock itself, That lever is operated by the forward - stop-reverse lever on the shaft that you use to operate the lathe. The lever operates rods that run through the machine and up into the headstock. If you remove the side plate on the headstock - it's a metal cover with several allen bolts - you will see that that lever engages and disengages a couple of clutches. it's not definite but it sounds like the lever just isn't disengaging the clutches completely hence the fact that the lathe keeps running If you can get someone to move the lever while you watch the operation of the clutches then you may be able to solve your problem. Obviously don't do any of this with the lathe under power.

I can’t see anything obvious, where are you based? Anywhere near Rotherham.

the clutch isn’t engaging fully.
First picture is engaged in reverse, which works fine. Second picture show it not full engaged going forward.

C95F4647-26DC-4174-8864-2C1B73C9E6AA.jpeg

246A8B25-47D2-4014-A064-AE4A3620A26E.jpeg

infiniti m35h
Unfortunately not near you no. You said the machine continues to run when you put the lever in the middle position? You need to check that the middle position has disengaged the clutch fully, otherwise you'll still get some movement?

infiniti m35h
Yes those are the clutch plates. I doubt a single damaged one would stop it working, although it could possibly. Check the lever movement first before doing anything else.

infiniti m35h
Also, simple thing, check the play on the handle that attaches to the shaft. It's normally set on a keyway with a clamp and this keyway can wear, the effect being that you don't move the shaft round as far as it should, if that makes sense.

infiniti m35h
That oil tray is a complete and utter fiddly b*****d to get back on. All the speed selector arms just fall away as well because they are held on by the long bolts that feed up through the arms and bolt to the tray. I did this recently on an H15 which is just a smaller version of yours. You need to take lots of photos of exactly where everything was if you're going to remove it. Personally I would exhaust all lines of enquiry with the clutch lever etc. before I touched that. It doesn't actually give you that much more access. here's mine with the tray off

Attachments

• IMG_2643.JPG
    IMG_2643.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 22

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
It did look a right sod,

these little pieces of steel look like they should move over to allow the clutch to push all the way over. That isn’t happening though. Thanks for your help by the way, bolted the top part back together before doing any damage 😳

A1400E51-63BD-4139-8AF8-0A13E970D435.jpeg

18B421AA-5495-4BB8-96ED-542E4A65EA2E.jpeg

infiniti m35h
it took me hours to get back together, clamps magnets etc etc. At times I felt like crying or alternatively just setting fire to the whole thing.

Have a look at what the working clutch does when engaging/disengaging as opposed to the defective one. Check the actual lever is dragging the clutch plate back as far as it should when it's disengaging. Just follow the course of the rods from he shaft through the machine to the clutch and check as the joints etc are ok. Could be something really simple. its an old lathe it'll be mid 60's. check the little pin that you can see sits in the mechanism at the end of the lever arm in your picture isn't worn as again this could lead to the lever not moving the clutch back as far as it needs to o. it definitely looks like it simply isn't disengaging properly. if the broken clutch plate was a big issue you probably wouldn't get any drive out of it so i don't think it's that.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
The big red truck is coming to visit

Some local dates for you @Tubbs Vice @dann2707

November 8th - Euro Car Parts | Fourth Ave, Trafford Park, Stretford, Manchester M17 1DB
November 9th - PowerToolsGB | Unit 5B, Fox Way, Trinity Business Park, Wakefield WF2 8EE
November 11th - Protrade Tools & Fixings | Sidney Robinson Business Park, Ascot Dr, Derby DE24 8EH

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
The big red truck is coming to visit

Some local dates for you @Tubbs Vice @dann2707

November 8th - Euro Car Parts | Fourth Ave, Trafford Park, Stretford, Manchester M17 1DB
November 9th - PowerToolsGB | Unit 5B, Fox Way, Trinity Business Park, Wakefield WF2 8EE
November 11th - Protrade Tools & Fixings | Sidney Robinson Business Park, Ascot Dr, Derby DE24 8EH
What's most offensive is they classed Wakefield as the midlands

Stupid c***s

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I really like mine but didn't get the 4.0 battery as part of the bundle at the time. It needs it really so you've done well there
That's good to know, I already have 2 x 2.0 and a 4.0 so will have plenty to go around now.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Ive got someone I know that does clearance/removal work a lot. He does all sorts and picks up all sorts.

He recently cleared a works unit belonging to a carpenter. Was meant to be clean and tidy - it wasnt. So he took a lot of the tools as payment (all agreed before hand) and I caught wind he had a few tools for sale.

I popped down with an open mind and a few things I wanted, didnt find anything I needed but then I spotted this big boy at the back

1670072313611.jpeg

As you can see its now next to my smoker. Its the higher 240v one (with standard UK plug which seems a bit sketchy). I asked how much he wanted for this (it has legs also) and for an old press drill.

"Hows £50 sound for both?"

OLD AATT YOURR AAAAAAND

The best part is, I have an entire metal biscuit tin rammed full of drill bits thrown in too. Everything from small to large and the wood working ones too.

Cant wait to find out how long it is till I become an amputee.