ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Black Thread

visualize whirled pe
You'll start watching what you eat now! Ooooh better not have that extra chip, it might weigh 0.01 gram.

Good luck with it though, should be fun when you've finished.

80MPG BEEZA
i was actually gonna put some pics up saying how im on a strict diet, i just had 2 hamburgers and 20 chicken nuggets from md's and a large strawberry milkshake lmao but i am working 12 hour night shift so its f**king my eating behaviour up i'll burn it all off tonight

visualize whirled pe
It'll be a whole new eating dissorder,

Nurse: Batman you must eat!

Batman: I caaaaaant!!! more weight equals losses through Power to Weight ratios don't you seeeeeeeee!!!!!

80MPG BEEZA
i'll end up like that lass off hollyoaks with anerexia! its made a real difference losing all the weight though im gonna get myself a lycra dancing costume to keep clothing weight down, who cares if the car catches fire burns me encasing me in a funky dancing outfit forever

80MPG BEEZA
lol nah just nice black lycra and sequins plastic sequins though keep weight down to a minimum

Lionel Richie
dude get the flush fit aerocatches, they look SO much better, those ones you have sit proud of the surface

flush fit (with custom carbon surround)
DSC00899.jpg

opencatch.jpg

80MPG BEEZA
lol i thought u may sudjest them fred :)

i was gonna go for flush fit but i thought it would be easier fixing them to a carbon bonnet if they were just top mounted, and they dont sit that proud there about 2-3mm thick

im after some black pop rivets to but cant seem to source any uk suppliers was gonna buy around 100 to do all door cards and cup brake ducts

80MPG BEEZA
ok little update after this weekends work! I set away with cleaning all the tar off the floor after i had removed the bulk of it from the floor, now make sure when you do try and remove it you try and get as much as possible.

I first started by throwing a load of intesive tar remover down and swishing it about with my hand, my hand looking like i had no bog roll left i went to go wash my hands (which was pointless) and let it soak.

use one old cloth to remove the bulk then go over again with another cloth repeateldly and be prepared to scrape up any tar bits that have been left (even the tiniest of bits). You will have to clean several times to get it clean.

here's a pic with an area cleaned and you can see an area that hasnt been cleaned

floor1.jpg

i carried on with this process on the rest of this side, cant recall how long it took but my hands were a mess so remember to leave some tar remover left to use on your hands before washing them (id say wear gloves but you will need your nails to scrape some of the tar up). By the end it should be nice and clean like this

floor2.jpg

after this i then removed the dash with some help from my brother in law then took the bulk head lining away,removed head unit,tweeters and unneccesary air heating piping,clock display and some other bits n pieces.

I would have taken some photos but we were losing light and i didnt have my halogen light setup with me so we put the dash back in the dark really

all in all not bad for an afternoons work :)

80MPG BEEZA
looking good mate, interesting thread to keep checking up on too!!

whats the next plans for it?

erm next bits of work keep on changing gotta remove tar down my side, gotta get bolts removed and other bits of metal which are plainly just of no use, re position seats making them lower with anodised black bolts, subframes to be re painted, and cage fitting probably next aswell as windows then have the whole thing painted inside before the fun begins :)

alien green rs133
have you seen all the tar inside of the rear quarter panel??? thats gotta be weight high up = worse handling ;) also with pointless bits of metal, you gotta consider all the mounting points for rear seats, like the reinforcement for the rear seat belt mounts!!! it all counts doesnt it

80MPG BEEZA
just wait till the whole inside's been painted gloss black! trying to replace everything so its black or as near as, and the metal i have removed in pic 1 hold no structural value to car's chassis so dont worry about it i mean i managed to impress a new scooby yesterday car feels great at the mo

80MPG BEEZA
have you seen all the tar inside of the rear quarter panel??? thats gotta be weight high up = worse handling ;) also with pointless bits of metal, you gotta consider all the mounting points for rear seats, like the reinforcement for the rear seat belt mounts!!! it all counts doesnt it

yea tar on the rear quarters are going to be removed this week along with all the drivers side, and i know about the rear seat mounts and seat belt mounts it it aint used it aint staying in!

what bits of metal are you cutting out? i wouldnt get too trigger happy with that angle grinder lol, most of the metal is there for a reason lol

M2 Competition
Lol.

And how much faster do you think cutting out pieces of metal from the structure of the car is going to make you?

80MPG BEEZA
what bits of metal are you cutting out? i wouldnt get too trigger happy with that angle grinder lol, most of the metal is there for a reason lol

aii there for a reason if you have all the trim in, most of the metal cutting is whats there to fix in the interior to all thats gonna be left is seats,gear lever,handbrake,dash n pedals

80MPG BEEZA
Lol.

And how much faster do you think cutting out pieces of metal from the structure of the car is going to make you?

well when your aiming for 850kg's every little bit helps i bet if i gathered everything i've taken out so far you couldnt hold it even with magic beans

and as per how much faster here's an example

310bhp and 1000kg's = 310bhp/tonne

310bhp and 850kgs = 370bhp/tonne

and extra 60bhp in fact maybe around 1/4 to 1/2 a second off 0-60 time :clown:

Last edited:
  80MPG BEEZA
well gives you a rough idea wether it will work or not i'll find out, the car feels alot more responsive at the moment, acceleration pickup is alot quicker and feels better entering corners, just have to hope the goodness continues

Astra VXD xp with DTUK
well gives you a rough idea wether it will work or not i'll find out, the car feels alot more responsive at the moment, acceleration pickup is alot quicker and feels better entering corners, just have to hope the goodness continues

trust me on this wen i say its bloody quick! mark took me out in it wen it had the passenger seat a fair few weeks ago and it was pretty mental

Turbo Beige

i was gonna go for flush fit but i thought it would be easier fixing them to a carbon bonnet if they were just top mounted, and they dont sit that proud there about 2-3mm thick

im after some black pop rivets to but cant seem to source any uk suppliers was gonna buy around 100 to do all door cards and cup brake ducts

Buy all your rivets and get somebody to chemically black them or buy a kit yourself. Its a 4 (if i remember right) stage process and can be done on any clean metal, looks loads better than anodised.

80MPG BEEZA

Buy all your rivets and get somebody to chemically black them or buy a kit yourself. Its a 4 (if i remember right) stage process and can be done on any clean metal, looks loads better than anodised.

where do i get this kit? just there are other metal objects that want doing that i was going to have anodised any help would be great

two things.

That second pic is my mate Simons cup racer, hes from near where i live. His user name on here is Hillclimber, they do the Harewood Hill climb here in Leeds quite a bit, thats a serious car btw.

And drilling holes in your chassis is dangerous and pointless surely, how much weight are you hoping to save doing that Batman?

Have you weighed each disc yet?

Wouldnt removing the dash and fitting a custom dash and other [SIZE=-1]unnecessary[/SIZE] parts save as much weight if not more and be safer.

Not having a go i just dont see what benefit it would do really in terms of performance. Car looks spot on usually, ill be interested to see how it turns out

Last edited:
  ITB BG 182
Nice matey looks like its going to be a good one.
on the other hand save your self some more weight an sell me your dash inserts?

80MPG BEEZA
two things.

That second pic is my mate Simons cup racer, hes from near where i live. His user name on here is Hillclimber, they do the Harewood Hill climb here in Leeds quite a bit, thats a serious car btw.

And drilling holes in your chassis is dangerous and pointless surely, how much weight are you hoping to save doing that Batman?

Have you weighed each disc yet?

Wouldnt removing the dash and fitting a custom dash and other [SIZE=-1]unnecessary[/SIZE] parts save as much weight if not more and be safer.

Not having a go i just dont see what benefit it would do really in terms of performance. Car looks spot on usually, ill be interested to see how it turns out

aii russ its fine where i've taken it out, arent your door cards removed? just try and find someone's who's is and feel how thin that part is, it holds no stutural value to the car basically there to support the door card really, and i never bothered weighing it but all the discs together weighed quite abit and it looks cool :)