ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project: BMW E21.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
He's coming next week, I'm taking the gamble he won't need to take the car apart again. Last thing I want to do is lose a weekend and not do anything, just for him to say he would have been fine to mask up and respray/whatever.

I'm not being funny, and you can tell me to mind my own business, but if i'd just spent all that money having a car fully repainted, i'd want the bloke there within 24 hours of me making that phone call. Why has he made you wait 2 weeks??

I'm not being funny, and you can tell me to mind my own business, but if i'd just spent all that money having a car fully repainted, i'd want the bloke there within 24 hours of me making that phone call. Why has he made you wait 2 weeks??

He's a busy guy, and I'm very easy going.

There's no rush, and I know him on a "mates" level, so I trust him. I'm trying not to get overly stressed by things like this, there's no point :)

I do understand where you're coming from, but I trust that he won't fob me off. If he does, I owe you a pint :)

Got started on the wheels today.

This will probably a fairly long job :(

This is how they started:

8845004449_b9afb002ce_c.jpg

8845621066_fac1432823_c.jpg

8845616994_890ed5a31c_c.jpg

8844993249_bf77245a26_c.jpg

Then, with the help of this:

8844987341_b83d04841e_c.jpg

8845605870_a629e77163_c.jpg

I did this:

8845601270_b4ae0d0819_c.jpg

Need to find somewhere that sells a decent primer and then get some paint on them. Judging by my 182 wheels on the RB, these should look good :)

Chrome trim fitted today, had a bit of a nightmare with the trim on the side glass, but we got there.

8914204413_9a37feaea6_c.jpg

8914818662_8b853ce327_c.jpg

Also, new rubber stop for the petrol cap:

8914195477_a410238b53_c.jpg

New pins for the door check arms:

8914809856_1177e49d0c_c.jpg

Should get a fair bit more done tomorrow.

:)

Did the sunroof today, sounds an easy job, but I wasn't the one who removed it, and it was pretty tricky to get it fitted. Two minds make light work of it though and Jon.G was round to help out :)

Needed to recover the underside of the sunroof before fitting it.

8926192012_842e704886_c.jpg

New headlining:

8925575937_c4aec2f406_c.jpg

8926184824_4855c80733_c.jpg

8925569833_f29da282cb_c.jpg

After some head scratching a bit of fiddling, we got there:

8926177160_4157e61532_c.jpg

8926172928_562eec8c4c_c.jpg

8926167952_f3a6b07a7a_c.jpg

8925549255_17052217b6_c.jpg

8925543837_614b4700cf_c.jpg

Need to order a new door window seal as the passenger one is a bit rubbish.

Very little left to do on the exterior now.

:)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Great progress, and I know you won't listen to me, but just take those wheels and have them acid dipped. You can rub them down afterwards, and paint them yourself, you'll just need high build primer for the first few coats is all.

It'll be a much better job taking off all that old paint!

What's going on with the paint?

The painter has gone on holiday, he spoke to me before he left and said even if he comes to look at it before he goes, he can't fix it until he's back, which is a fair comment.

He said he stands by his work and stands by his word, so I can't complain too much.

He's a sound enough guy, so I trust him to fix it.

Great progress, and I know you won't listen to me, but just take those wheels and have them acid dipped. You can rub them down afterwards, and paint them yourself, you'll just need high build primer for the first few coats is all.

It'll be a much better job taking off all that old paint!

Bingo ;)

I jest :) Yeah I know it would be easier, but tbh, the dremmel and flapwheels make it a pretty quick job. I'm not entirely sure I want to keep them, so a quick and simple refurb is all I'm after.

I also quite like the idea of doing as much as I can, myself.

There's another delivery coming from Germany as we speak, new door window seal and the clips for fastening the chrome trim.

Jobs left:

• Bolt up the control arms.
  • Fix the passenger side brake caliper
  • ​Sort the crossthreaded wheel bolt hole on the passenger hub
  • Sort the wing/valance join
  • Fit the speakers/wiring
  • Fit the carpet
  • Sort the dash
  • Fit the seats/interior
  • MOT
  • ​Tax

​Not too much then!

330i. E30 Touring.
Is it wise to be fitting all of the stuff if it's going to have to come out to re-paint?

Unless they're not in the same areas?

Is it wise to be fitting all of the stuff if it's going to have to come out to re-paint? Unless they're not in the same areas?

The damage I have seen is in areas that won't require parts to be removed.

If the whole thing needs doing, I'll build it up and sell it.

I cannot take it all apart again, it's taken so long and so much effort to get it to this stage, I can't do it all again.

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
The damage I have seen is in areas that won't require parts to be removed.

If the whole thing needs doing, I'll build it up and sell it.

I cannot take it all apart again, it's taken so long and so much effort to get it to this stage, I can't do it all again.

While I appreciate the stress it'll cause having to do it again I think that's madness.
Surely your painter as it's his **** up can do something to help stripping and rebuilding if that is the case.

Otherwise you're going to sell it at a loss, get no enjoyment from it and the painter who made the mistake gets away scott free.

I don't know what the done thing is with problems like this but I think if I'd just sprayed the car for you only for it to react when you'd got half of it back together I'd offer to strip/respray/rebuild to keep my reputation intact and if not at least help you out with it in my spare time.

What are the problems with the paint? Skim read the last few pages and I couldn't actually see anyone say specifically?

Most spray jobs have imperfections unfortunately.

Getting high on paint and thinners all day makes some people go blind ;)

I'll take things one step at a time.

I desperately want to keep it and turn it into the car I have in my mind. Just getting it driveable is the first step. After that, I have some awesome plans for it :)

Baby steps for now :)

Time for some decent progress updates.

Did the dash and heater system tonight.

Dash with vents all fitted:

9026896417_cf5844996d_c.jpg

Heater matrix fitted (car is crying for a clean!):

9029123200_826ce2ef26_c.jpg

Dash & heater matrix fitted:

9026889903_f50674e7d0_c.jpg

9026886849_a932c11eca_c.jpg

Been a while since I've had the lamps out!

9026883185_05ae6644af_c.jpg

Holiday next week, then I'll hammer it when I come back.

Got some work done recently:

Manky wiper arms painted black and fitted to the car, along with the scuttle panel and washer jets:

9151785572_02540a3d3e_c.jpg

9149557789_90f390602f_c.jpg

Also purchased some vehicle dollies. They're really good quality from the looks of it, and make moving the car a lot easier, although the movement is a little hard to master!

9149554031_ccee9861bf_c.jpg

9149543957_fbf43ea87c_c.jpg

I've also sorted most of the poor fitment of the wing too. It was sticking out a long way at the base, I'm attributing this to the fact the wings are non OEM.

9149551663_a8779e22e2_c.jpg

Anyway, I drilled a 6mm hole in the wing, and the side of the jacking point, then put a bolt through it and a nut on the back, and voila, it worked perfectly.

The bolt is tucked away under the sill too, so you can barely see it.

9149549663_110b14da27_c.jpg

The passengar side was a little trickier, the wing was sitting lower down and wouldn't bolt straight into the jacking point.

This may look quite rig up, but it's done as neatly as possible.

I made a bracket, and drilled it so it could be bolted to the jacking point, I then drilled it again lower down to allow the wing to bolt up to it.

Worked a treat :)

9149543881_662745094c_c.jpg

9149543817_0e0b5f88a1_c.jpg

That's all for now, and pretty much all the exterior done, bar the rear bumper and a few bits that need sorting in the wheelarch.

Speaker wiring should be going in very soon, then I can finish the dash and get cracking with the carpet :)

Paint is still pending, my fingers are still crossed and I'm still optimistic about the outcome.

In the meantime, I have made some good progress, no photos at the moment, but I did sort the leaking sunroof out, was a very simple fix in the end:

The sunroof seal is only really a weather seal and is designed to allow water in, once in the car, it should be caught by the drains and then it can run out onto the floor.

At the rear of the sunroof, there is a drip tray, which slides with the sunroof itself, number 12 on this drawing:

9268671488_883da893cc_z.jpg

That piece looks like this:

9265894299_ebef19e0c2_c.jpg

When we were taking the sunroof out, all those months ago, the drip tray was removed and somehow got slid back into the roof void where the sunroof goes, like this:

9268671442_90eeea538e_z.jpg

My mates spotted it last night while we were trying to figure out where the tray was.

Some wire and a little fiddling later, we had it out and lined up, and the sunroof doesn't leak water in any more, happy days!

I'll get some more photos up soon :)

Nice work dude, why is the paint taking so long to sort though? I realise the guy's a friend of sorts, but you should be pushing that!

Long story short, he doesn't want to come after work, I don't want to take time off work to see him.

Push will have to come to shove soon.

More worryingly, he's recently resprayed my mates M3, and that's had an even worse reaction on numerous panels of the car.

That said, I still stand by his work, and he's a top guy, so I'm not getting into slander any time soon.

​Certainly watch this space.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Hmmmm, it sounds to me like something is going drastically wrong in his prep, or there's high humidity in his workshop :S

Hopefully he'll resolve it though, and this will be finished and totes amazing as you're doing a cracking job mate.

Hmmmm, it sounds to me like something is going drastically wrong in his prep, or there's high humidity in his workshop :S

Hopefully he'll resolve it though, and this will be finished and totes amazing as you're doing a cracking job mate.

Quite probably, he's very keen to sort my mates car out, and when thinking about it, he can't do mine yet anyway, as it's not driveable.

Next weekend see's a load of my mates and I hitting the car with as many hands and man hours as possible. All hands on deck to give it a big push forward, so hopefully on the Monday, I should have a good update to bring to you all :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Sorry mate but I just couldn't help myself.
Are you f**king mad????

The guys messed you're car up and now one of your mate's.
His done nothing to sort yours out and his stupid excuse is he doesn't want to come after work. What a f**king ass hole.!!

I bet he wanted paying though, I bet he wouldn't have had you tell him you couldn't pay because it ment putting yourself out.

Your being taken for a ride fella and you are defending him, f**king nuts!!!!

Sorry mate but I just couldn't help myself.
Are you f**king mad????

The guys messed you're car up and now one of your mate's.
His done nothing to sort yours out and his stupid excuse is he doesn't want to come after work. What a f**king ass hole.!!

I bet he wanted paying though, I bet he wouldn't have had you tell him you couldn't pay because it ment putting yourself out.

Your being taken for a ride fella and you are defending him, f**king nuts!!!!

All due respect here, but please, grow up.

I'm not going into details, but he's a busy guy, as am I.

My mate can drive down to the spray booth during working hours, so it's easier for him.

I often find that working with someone, gets you a lot farther in life than fighting with them.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
His work is s**t tbh, 2 cars with the same problem.
And if he was such a top guy then it would have been sorted by now, he would have made you top of his list because that's what proper people do when they mess up.

His mugging you off.

What makes me mad is the bloody hard work, time and money that you have put into this super car.

This is not a dig at you mate, but I hate seeing people being mugged off.

His work is s**t tbh, 2 cars with the same problem.
And if he was such a top guy then it would have been sorted by now, he would have made you top of his list because that's what proper people do when they mess up.

His mugging you off.

What makes me mad is the bloody hard work, time and money that you have put into this super car.

This is not a dig at you mate, but I hate seeing people being mugged off.

I'm not being mugged off, I can handle myself and I know when to draw the line.

He was on holiday for 2 weeks (out of the country) I then went to Spain for a week when he got back, so there's 3 weeks lost through nobody's fault.

The issue on the M3 is different, but granted, it's an issue none the less.

Got a fair bit done tonight:

9308678023_be192980ac_c.jpg

Heater control panel, clocks, and lower control panel all fitted and wired in.

Just need a battery now to check it all works!

Should see some good progress this weekend.