ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R27 #177

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Seen them fail on track. Well, in the pits anyway. Which was a pain in the arse for the guy. Honestly if you want spacers for the looks then feel free but personally I'd be taking them off for track use, less potential failure points the better.

Mainly for looks. But wouldn't the increased track help on track?

My plan was to do a few laps without them then a few with them to see if I could

Enough dicking about.. drop the 1.6 K4M engine in it for instant 220bhp.

Should we do a group buy on them?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
If you notice a difference in handling you're a better man than I.
My thinking is how many racers use spacers? If they worked well they would but instead they increase track width using other methods.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
So, after the last few messages, I bought spacers.

20mm hubcentric bolt through types. Not what I wanted exactly but hey ho.

Obligatory pics

IMG_1387.JPG
IMG_1397.JPG
IMG_1393.JPG
IMG_1401.JPG
IMG_1394.JPG
IMG_1403.JPG

I think it could do with another 5-10mm but it's a subtle improvement.

It should look mega with the speed lines and chunky tyres one.

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
e20b767753a7a6179f1fcde45e221641.jpg

25mm changes the whole look of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't say you needed any more than 20mm. I ran ktec 19mm ones and they were perfect. Loved the stance and never had a single moment of rubbing or anything.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Yeah, I like it

It looks just the right amount of wide without being full blown racecar/scene stance.

IMG_1428.JPG
IMG_1429.JPG

Seems to tramline on bad roads and it feels a bit wider on the road, but otherwise it's no different handling wise. Its probably a placebo but an extra width is noticeable from the drivers seat.

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yeah, I like it

It looks just the right amount of wide without being full blown racecar/scene stance.

View attachment 187604 View attachment 187605

Seems to tramline on bad roads and it feels a bit wider on the road, but otherwise it's no different. Its probably a placebo but there's something different from the drivers seat.

I felt it tramlined and felt nurvous under braking

Hacked mine off after a day 😂

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
So I bought some yellow paint yesterday.

A stone chip turned to peeling paint on my spoiler, so I thought I'd make a test piece to see how many pear layers I need to match my car

Base coat

IMG_1490.JPG

It's a nasty mustard colour when it's dry
IMG_1496.JPG

Mmmmmmmm
IMG_1499.JPG

First coat
IMG_1500.JPG

Second coat
IMG_1503.JPG

Third coat
IMG_1507.JPG

Fourth coat
IMG_1514.JPG

For those that don't know. The idea is to apply a coat, remove a strip of tape, add another coat, remove another strip and so on until you've built up the desired amount of layers.

The different amount of layers on pear coats changes the colour of the finish as you can see below.

IMG_1515.JPG

I'll let this dry and clear coat it on the weekend to properly match the finish then offer it up to the car to see which is the best match.

And I made too much paint so now I have a liquid yellow Stanley knife.

IMG_1519.JPG

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
[emoji23] I want a ly stanley knife now. Wherw did you get the paint from mate?

Lol! It's not actually proper liquid yellow as I sprayed the pearl coat over what looks like a focus st orange base.

It does look cool though

I got the paint from a supplier near my work. Buckley coatings

IMG_1568.JPG
IMG_1569.JPG
IMG_1575.JPG

Anywho, the colour match looks good. It looks better in the sun, I'll try and catch it later if it comes back out.
IMG_1581.JPG

It looks like only one pearl coat will be the best match. I didn't expect that to be honest
IMG_1584.JPG

That probably explains why my car looks different to other yellow clios/meganes.

Ah well. Now to clean the car, get the spoiler off and paint it.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
That is a good match. I'm trying to find a nice sparkly grey for my wheels and some other bits. Not found anything I really like yet though.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Got some pictures in the sun. What a pita it is to picture the test panel at the same angle as the car!

But yeah, one coat of pearl is the best match (one coat is the lightest one)
IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1597.JPG
IMG_1608.JPG
IMG_1612.JPG

One coat at the top, against the bottom of the window
IMG_1624.JPG

Four coats at the top, against the bottom of the window.
IMG_1625.JPG

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
It just seems like I'm throwing money at the car lately.

I've got the belts, insurance, tyres and something else I'm sure due soon.

Tyres are going on on Tuesday. I've chosen continental premiumcontact 6s. They're meant to combine the premium and sport tyre ranges, so fingers crossed they're as good as the reviews say.

I left for csf at Blyton on Thursday at dinner time. At 10am, my car was on the ramps in the garage opposite work with the rear wheels, calipers, pads and handbrake cables on the floor. Joy.

I asked the garage to strip, grease and refit my rear calipers, because they started binding a couple of days before I was due to leave.

They came back and said the calipers were fubar'd and I needed new ones. Joy.

So a lot of money later, I had mismatched calipers. To add insult to injury, the garage didn't bleed them properly so me, @MartinL1993 and @Gus bled my brakes with @Alistair14 s jack and stand (thank you all) by the track the night before csf while @.Joe fucked around in my cars brain.

So now I have another job to do on the car, colour coding these 😧

IMG_3356.JPG

Apart from that, the car was flawless again at Blyton, I finally managed to get it to not push wide, feeling like a proper rally driver by keeping the throttle open and keeping the nose under control with the brake. All while getting passed by faster drivers lol

IMG_0615.JPG

Aaand I Drove home from work the other day and found a massive crack down my windscreen, so had a new one fitted today. It'd be rude not to get new wipers to go with it.

IMG_3353.JPG

Bloody cars

MartinL1993

ClioSport Moderator
Oh god that's poor luck with the windscreen mate! Did that start as the little chop or another one appear?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Small update. The sport contact 3s were coming to the end of their life so after a bit of reading I settled on continental premium contact 6. They supersede the premium contact 5 and sport contact 5, merging to two to sit at the top of the range continental up to 18" the sport contact 6 starts at 19" :(

Nice chunky shoulders
IMG_3393.JPG

I do love chunky tyres. I went for 225 over the standard 215 to fill the arch better and get a slightly bigger footprint
IMG_3394.JPG
IMG_3395.JPG
IMG_3398.JPG

I took them for a quick drive to scrub them in and first impressions are very good... in the dry. They seem to bite well on turn it and skip around in quick direction changes just the right amount.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
So, little update.

Had the belts, water pump, dephaser pulley, crankshaft pulley, oil, coolant and a puncture repair over the past couple of days. So the car should be happy for another five years now.

Can’t believe I’ve had it five years now!