ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Racing Blue Racer – Project Thread!

Got bored today so thought I would put this together. You can see my imagination working when I chose the thread name!

Really quick history of the car since I got it then I can do current updates in more detail.

Well I got the car in May 2007, nice and 100% Standard.

Clio182.gif

Clio1821.gif

I decided not to insure it until I was 21 at the beginning of June.

So I started to molester it before I could drive it on the road.

First set of 2118’s fitted –
2804072118s1.gif

Wet RS Day at Brands in May –
Brands15thMay.gif

Rear loop of the roll cage was fitted at Mark Fish Motorsport –
DSC_0067.gif

MarkFish1Large.gif

Cobra Suzuka seats and 197 cup harnesses –
DSC_0074Large.gif

MarkFish16Large.gif

197 Cup Steering wheel, momo boss and horn buttons –
DSC_0072.gif

MarkFish3Large.gif

Then went back to Mark Fish in the first week of July 07 to have the LEDA’s fitted and set up. Also Brembo Max, DS2500 and Braded Lines went on.
DSC_0046.gif

MarkFish10Large.gif

Trackday at Bedford end of July –
BedfordJuly.gif

RS Oulton Park Trackday – excellent day and I used some Dunlop E marked track tires which Mark Fish held on to for me.
OultonAugust.gif

October 2007 – BTB Exhaust from Mat (fmp)

Excellent exhaust system, really easy to fit because its so light and sounds amazing!

DSC_0010.gif

DSC_0009.gif

DSC_0007.gif

While the car was in the air I also fitted a Powerflex lower engine mount –
DSC_0019.gif

DSC_0022.gif

December 2007 – Make your own Maxogen Day!

Clio Race Car/Renault Espace V6 Air Box, ITG filer, Samco Bend and some ducting –

(full details can be found in the guides section)

CupCarAirBox.gif

AirBoxLarge.gif

AirBox2Large.gif

End of 2007 – larger accelerator pedal from Turner –
AcceleratorPedal1.gif

AcceleratorPedal.gif

Jan 2008 – My 3rd set of 2118’s fitted with 205/50/ZR15 86W PE2’s!
20082118s1.gif

20082118s2.gif

20082118s3.gif

20082118s4.gif

Just ordered a lot of the 2118’s in Anthracite so if you’re after a set PM me, there special order so will only be 6 sets coming into the UK! Can also supply the white ones or any speedlines!

So Feb/March 2008 –

Got a lot going on over the next few months not only with final year uni work but with work on the car …

Stiffer springs fitted with the Compbrake solid top mounts –

Went 100lb stiffer all round and it has made a great difference, even though it’s a lot stiffer its still 100% driveable on a daily basis, (ask my dad he goes from Essex to welling, kent in it!)
StiffSprings.gif

Mark Fish MotorSport Solid Top Mounts –

Decided to change from the Compbrake ones to Mark Fish ones. Was his last set at the time and he has been using them for the past 2 years. Fitted them on Friday afternoon, really easy to do, drill 4 holes and bolt them in… there not going anywhere!
Mark lent me his drilling template, 2 nuts and a 8.5mm drill piece, I cant recommend him enough, always happy to help and give advice.

MarkFishMotorsportSolidTopMount.gif

DSC_0004.gif

DSC_0006.gif

DSC_0008.gif

DSC_0010.gif

DSC_0011.gif

DSC_0012.gif

DSC_0015.gif

DSC_0019.gif

DSC_0022.gif

DSC_0023.gif

Saturday morning I started looking to do some DIY brake ducts, while I was at it I pulled all the arch liners out as I had destroyed them on track last summer. I found a massive amount of dirt behind them and even more behind the foam in the wing. All this is currently off the car while I wait for some better weather to jet wash the arches.

ArchDirt.gif

ArchDirt1.gif

All the dirt that came out of both sides –

ArchDirt2.gif

Will get some more pictures when I jet wash and clean the arches.

Also need to buy some ducting, smaller horn, remove the carbon canister to get the brake ducts in. Mark Fish is making me some diffusers when he has got some spare time, im in no rush at the moment.

Fitting very soon –

Black Powerflex Suspension bushes, ordered these from Julian at Balance Motorsport, highly recommended!

Powerflex.gif

Powerflex1.gif

Just waiting on the Outer ARB bushes to arrive …

Stud conversion kit - Currently got the front ones fitted, will get proper pictures of these soon –
WheelStuds.gif

AP Racing 4 pots, hopefully will be fully fitted very soon –
APRacing1824PotKit1.gif

APRacing1824PotKit2.gif

Bells4.gif

New rear discs, pads and nuts to go on when I fit the AP Racing 4 pots.

APRacing1824PotKit4.gif

Some ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid for when the AP’s are running fine on cheap 5.1 fluid!
ATESuperBlue.gif

Might use this for a cold air feed, need to get some ducting, still not sure on the idea tho …
AirFeed.gif

Gunna fit the black boot lock surround and maybe some other black parts like the new 197 cup’s …
Bootlocksurround.gif

Plans are to strip the car, fit the rest of the cage, some carbon door cars.

Will keep updating this as I do bits and pieces but progress will be slow until the 21st of May… that’s my last exam! Then it will be full on and ill hopefully be attending FCS.

same price as they are in white, PM me if your interested in a set, theres about a 4 week wait from today as there made in the factory in Italy. Should be sweet when there ready! I cant wait!

M

mini-valver

Looks amazing fella! Good to see people doing it properly and innovating :D

Why have you got the CAF for the Air Filter facing upwards not down?

Just did it for the picture is faces accross normally.

Cheers guys! :eek:

Will do turner! Ill be able to make the template soon, when i get round to pulling the carpet out!

Coiley'd Clio PH2
I never knew there was supposed to be foam in the wing behind the wheel arch!
I certainly didnt have any when i took my arch liners out....

A

ashy_gtt

Looking good :)

Hope you protected the bare metal after you drilled the holes for the top mounts!!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
amazing!

perfect track/road balance... without needing to re-mortage!!

can't fault it matey, hats off

Thanks guys, Im back in the game few weeks ago I wanted to get rid of it!

nice stuff Dave.

as said, perfect mix of road and track car.

now get FCS booked!! :D

I would Mat but I owe you the same £££'s ammount that tracktime costs! Gunna try and sort something!

6/468 17poo
Amazing work mate!

Can you tell me where mark fish is located, ill need a service/mot and maybe coilovers in July and want it done properly lol

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Stunning...... Wish I had the Kmnowledge and Money to do what you have done, Leda's are Lush,

Would love a Set of those 15" 2118's but I'm Skint at the moment :(

www.cliocupexperience.com
I went the ex-Clio Cup route rather than the modified road car at the begining of last year, and (to a larger extent) I am glad that I did.

However, due to a change of job I am going to have to swap to a road going car and currently weighing up a new(ish?) 197 Cup or going the modified route on an older 182 maybe.

Whatever I decide, this thread has been useful to see what would make a good road/track car - you certainly appear to have done the job right.

Any advice on what made the biggest differences/what was not worth the money/what would you do given a few more grand to play with?

I wanted to go down the race car route, I was close to buying Mark Hunts one but thought the expense of storage, trailer, tow car, gear box maintance, tyres etc etc just wouldnt work out.

Suspension makes a big difference, mainly the set up. The brakes hopefully will aswell when i get them sorted.

Thinking back the one thing that might not be worth the money is the cage, but when fully fitted the car will be a lost stiffer, and with seats and harnesses it does make a difference on track to normal seats.

With a few more grand id get a full 36k service, cam belt, new helix clutch, sports cat, matched inlets, maybe cams and a remap - i think that little list is going to have to wait for a while tho as id like some buckets ...

Wanna swap cars!!?? PM me!