ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rally Clio Winter Project Thread

So... decided to build a new rally car. Going to use the engine and gearbox from my Mk1 and put it into a Mk2 shell.

Not done much so far, but in no rush.

Got hold of this bargin; 1.2 16V 2001. Lightly rolled but more or less absolutely ok. Was going to use this as a base and put a new roof on it plus 172 suspension and gubbins.

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Went to Manchester to buy a 172 rear beam off Winston to put on it but ended up going back a few days later to pick up the whole remains of the 172. Took 2 hours to move it 10 yards and onto a trailer but got there in the end :)

Found a couple of spare Mk1 front struts and 'modified' them with a 2 meter bar to get them to fit on the 172 hubs. Put those on whilst still on the trailer to make it much easier to get it off.

Got the shell off the trailer and put the rear beam back on with a couple of nuts, no dampers and some broken springs from the skip just as a stop gap to get it back on its wheels.

IMAGEB_00048.jpg

Back on its wheels and check out that wheel arch clearance ;)

IMAGEB_00049.jpg

Thats all so far, but much more to come!

1.8 Civic EX
ooooh another project thread! good good!

so what you doing? putting a valver or williams engine in the 172 shell?

seems a bit backwards..surely it would be better in a light mk1 shell?

It's something to do, plus the torsion bars on the Mk1 are a PITA for the handling really for anything rough. Alistair Hutchinson who is on here occasionally has a Mk2 and leaves me for dust so it cant be that bad!

how come you got the mk1 for 200 quid? is it a cat b?

Its unrecorded believe it or not!! Lady I got it off just wanted a quick sale, her son had rolled it after 3 days of driving. Its done 120k miles and is tatty inside too. Still the bargin of a lifetime though. Its almost a shame to take it to bits, could of had some profit out of it, but more fun doing this.

www.renparts.co.uk
It's something to do, plus the torsion bars on the Mk1 are a PITA for the handling really for anything rough. Alistair Hutchinson who is on here occasionally has a Mk2 and leaves me for dust so it cant be that bad!

how come you got the mk1 for 200 quid? is it a cat b?

Its unrecorded believe it or not!! Lady I got it off just wanted a quick sale, her son had rolled it after 3 days of driving. Its done 120k miles and is tatty inside too. Still the bargin of a lifetime though. Its almost a shame to take it to bits, could of had some profit out of it, but more fun doing this.

major bargain..... looks like its gonna be good...

Bit more stripping out done....

Everything taken off to get at the front wings odd and expose inner wings etc

Picture004.jpg

Leaving...

Picture003.jpg

2 cars side by side, ready for their operations

Picture005.jpg

Stripping out the remains of the interior

Picture008.jpg

Dash supports, heater box and bulkhead lining out

Picture009.jpg

Just about bare engine bay, aircon stuff out of scuttle, ABS block out

Picture010.jpg

Thats all the easy stuff done, the interesting bits will get going soon ;)

53 Clio's & counting
fair play mate! been waiting for someone to try this lol
oh and how come you get such a big workshop to play with,no fair

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
looks awesome, but whats with the 2 clios, im confused :S

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
i mean are you merging them together to make one then dropping the engine in?

or 2 different projects?

Clio
looks like a good project, good luck with it, cant wait to see it finished, but can I ask why 2 hours to move it ten yards lol?

Spent the morning doing some more work.

First of all got the gaffer setup to make sure we wern't slacking

Picture011.jpg

Nearside inner wing area, bit of damage here. Techincally there isnt alot here that couldn't just be pushed out and covered up... but where would be the fun in that? So seam along turret cleaned up and spot welds drilled.

Picture012.jpg

So, spot welds drilled out, and a bit of work with lump hammer and chisel; then a fine application of hacksaw (and a nice grind to tidy up) got the following result

Picture013.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Now where could we get an undamaged inner wing from? No need to be quite so subtle this time...

Picture017.jpg

Again with some spot welds drilled out the and seams chiselled apart, other less needed parts taken off with the grinder and we got...

Picture019.jpg

A bit more tidying up to do, and its not bad fun either ;)

Picture028.jpg

Ready to just tack in place, before making sure everything is lined up properly for the full seam weld.

Picture031.jpg

Picture032.jpg

So; next job is to do the same on the other side. Will cut it off a bit further forward though to avoid the hassle of messing around with the top engine mount.

Only trouble we had today was putting the cars away at the end; must have wired something went wrong as got a bang when went to start it and must have blown a fuse. Towropes and pushing awaits!!

Picture034.jpg

alien green rs133
Alistair Hutchinson who is on here occasionally has a Mk2 and leaves me for dust so it cant be that bad!
quote]

thats cos we spend endless nights in our garage building engines for him to blow up lol, he is my uncle and next door nieghbour btw, that and throttle bodies off a fireblade help lol

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it is, its high mileage though, and have no idea what kind of work it has had done on it

im surprised the 1.2 16v got to 120k lol we had loads in running poor, and when i think about it i got a 1.4 16v with 28 k lying around anyway lol

mine took a complete fukin hammering till 140k and if the cambelt hadn't snapped at 80mph in 3rd gear it would still be running now haha

Trying to find places who can install a weld-in cage properly now...

motoscope in northallerton are doing mine in a few weeks bit of a trek for ya though

It's closer than South Wales :)

The person recommended to me and closest can't do it till march!!!

Custom Cages quoted me £1481 + vat for supply and fitting, which assuming their listed price for the cage is right works out at almost $1000 + vat for fitting.

Not alot to update, going to start to get the car ready to go away and get cage put in and some other work done on it.

In the meantime, just welded new inner wings on, sealed the seams and given a coat of primer.

IMAGEC_00048.jpg

IMAGEC_00049.jpg

how much they charging to weld the cage?

Many many pennies. Got a rough quote of £1500+vat for custom built cage + fitting + seat runners + sill jacking points. Not sure how much it will be in the end though, depends on how much we ask him to do (strut top changes / rear shock mounting strengthening etc)

Just FYI, the quote I had from Custom Cages was £1400+vat, so they were charging about £900+vat just for fitting.