ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rally Clio Winter Project Thread

No more pictures, because I dont think photos of a day drilling out spot welds and scraping off seam sealer is very interesting.

Got some welding on the subframe done, and cleaned it up ready for painting.

Seam sealer off the front bulkhead so it can be seam welded; and the same for the rear turrets.

Drilled the spotwelds out on all the remaining brackets and took them off, including the reinforcement on the drivers side foot well.

Have been reinforcing any areas that might be weak when the car is subjected to a battering.

This meant doing some seam welding, plating and gusseting in various places.

First of all gave the already reinforced front subframe and rear beam a coat of Red Oxide ready for painting.

DSCF0975.jpg

DSCF0985.jpg

The mounts for the front of the subframe were plated and gusseted for strength, and again given a coat of red oxide

DSCF0971.jpg

DSCF0983.jpg

Seam welds on the inner wing and top of the front turret

DSCF0969.jpg

DSCF0988.jpg

Heres 2 photos showing both sides of the bulkhead with the extra seam welding

DSCF0984.jpg

DSCF0972.jpg

The corner of the chassis legs was stengthened with a bit of plating as you can see here

DSCF0986.jpg

Here you can see most of where the seam welds and other stengthening have been done at the front, with it all given a coat of red oxide again

DSCF0987.jpg

Inside the car, aswell as on the front bulkhead more was done on the floor and rear wheel arches. Will do some underneath at some point along the chassis rails.

DSCF0973.jpg

DSCF0974.jpg

DSCF0976.jpg

DSCF0989.jpg

Back at the front, the rear mounts for the subframe were plated. The plates were cut to size, tacked on in one place, heated up and bent to fit then finally welded on completely.

DSCF0991.jpg

DSCF0990.jpg

DSCF0994.jpg

Now that is all done, next job is to get under the wheel arches and in the engine bay cleaned and primed so it can get painted.

Clio 220 lpg
You have mentioned that you have the rear axle out. Make sure you weld some steel on to where the shocker bolts on, takes ten mins and will save you having to pull out of a rally. Also we made the front subframe stronger by welding 10mm box section down each side where the bottom wishbone fastens on, it meant drilling the spot welds out of the brackets, and then re weld them back on to the box but. I,m sure it has helped by making the car 20mm wider track. and the sadev drive shafts have handled it fine. Mined my shafts are from a 172 cup car where yours may be diff with being from a 16v. What front hubs are you using? as the 172 ones are very heavy I would be tempted to stick with 16v ones to save wait.
Looks good :lolup:

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Looking stunning, we love seeing other peoples projects and this is really interesting! Silly question, is that our old front subframe being put to dam good use?

You have mentioned that you have the rear axle out. Make sure you weld some steel on to where the shocker bolts on, takes ten mins and will save you having to pull out of a rally. Also we made the front subframe stronger by welding 10mm box section down each side where the bottom wishbone fastens on, it meant drilling the spot welds out of the brackets, and then re weld them back on to the box but. I,m sure it has helped by making the car 20mm wider track. and the sadev drive shafts have handled it fine. Mined my shafts are from a 172 cup car where yours may be diff with being from a 16v. What front hubs are you using? as the 172 ones are very heavy I would be tempted to stick with 16v ones to save wait.
Looks good :lolup:

Thats a good idea about the rear beam thanks, was wondering how the standard fixing would cope with the new strut setup.

Not sure what we are doing about the front at the moment, the 16V driveshafts are too short I think so were going to either see if we could get some made up or get some 172 cup ones that fit the box.

The old car has modified hubs to take Laguna drive shaft ends so again not sure what we will end up with on this one. To start with at least will probably stick with the standard 172 hubs but will have to see.

Clio 220 lpg
Thats a good idea about the rear beam thanks, was wondering how the standard fixing would cope with the new strut setup. Quote
ours didn't cope

During the week, the subframe and rear beam have been primed, and the engine bay and under the front arches have had their first coat of primer.

Picture038.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Picture037.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Hopefully the front will get another coar of primer next week, and a coat of colour back.

The subframe and rear beam given a coat of chassis black, and can then go back on the car after the front has been sprayed again.

Picture039.jpg

Picture040.jpg

These were on my desk when I got to work this morning.

IMAGEB_00091.jpg

So tonight gave the wishbones a quick clean, knocked out the old bushes and put the Powerflex ones on. Easy job. Didn't have a welder to hand tonight so they will be tacked in tomorrow.

IMAGEB_00092.jpg

Just gave the wishbones a quick coat of paint tonight so they would be dry tomorrow to get the car back on its wheels. Also a sneak peak of the freshly painted engine bay and front and rear arches.

IMAGEB_00093.jpg

Exige S1 + Honda S1
making good progress!
are you going to compete with this car?
also what make are the coilovers?

what you doing with the mk1 you took the engine out of

will have to decide what to do when we see how much is left over after building this one.

Probably either sell it as a rolling shell or put an engine in it as a track car.

It's a pretty tidy shell, started life at Mark Fish's i think

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
what you doing with the mk1 you took the engine out of

will have to decide what to do when we see how much is left over after building this one.

Probably either sell it as a rolling shell or put an engine in it as a track car.

you got anymore pics of it mate?is it a normal shell or a motorsport shell?

you got anymore pics of it mate?is it a normal shell or a motorsport shell?

I can get some more pics no problem.

It's an ex clio cup shell from Mark Fish i think. Can dig out some paperwork probably

Ok, during the week it had a coat of racing blue in the engine bay, front and rear wheel arches and tops of the rear strut mounts.

Some better pictures of the paint work

DSCF1003.jpg

DSCF1004.jpg

Next job was to get it back on its wheels, so the front subframe had to be put back on. First the steering rack was bolted back on.

DSCF1002.jpg

Then the wishbones put back on and just nipped up

DSCF1005.jpg

Then just lifted up and the whole thing bolted back into place.

DSCF1006.jpg

Next the struts were put back on, with the top plate being bolted into place. Looking nice!

DSCF1007.jpg

Hubs needed to go back on next. They were taken off with the bottom ball joint still attached, so this was just bolted back onto the wishbone and the strut bolted on.

DSCF1009.jpg

A lick of paint for the hub and the tie bar put back on and it was all done. Will tighten it all up fully after the engine and gearbox goes in.

DSCF1010.jpg

Next the rear beam went back on; just 3 nuts each side, a bolt for each strut and it was done.

DSCF1011.jpg

Wheels back on and it's mobile again, ready for whatever it is we get done next :)

DSCF1013.jpg

Spent the morning rubbing down and preparing the inside, and then it got a coat of white primer.

IMAGEB_00094.jpg

IMAGEB_00095.jpg

Started to strip down the doors aswell. Removed the glass and electric window mechanisms, then set about it with the grinder.

SP_A0158.jpg

Took the middle of the inner skin off, and the other plastic bits inside.

IMAGEB_00097.jpg

Then used the grinder to cut the door bar stengthening bit in half, and drilled the spot welds out out each end to get it out.

IMAGEB_00098.jpg

172 Race Car
This is one great project.

I would love to do a bare shell Clio build. Built two kit cars and reshelled a Ford Puma before but dont have the space/garage anymore.

Are u having fixed/non-opening windows?

This is one great project.

I would love to do a bare shell Clio build. Built two kit cars and reshelled a Ford Puma before but dont have the space/garage anymore.

Are u having fixed/non-opening windows?

Yeah, got some plastic ones that will be fixed

Got a couple of boxes from Demon Tweeks (sorry for the rubbish pics)

IMAGEB_00099.jpg

A couple of Cobra Imola S seats

IMAGEB_00101.jpg

Brake bias valve

IMAGEB_00102.jpg

Roof vent

IMAGEB_00103.jpg

Bracket and master cylinder for the hydraulic handbrake

IMAGEB_00104.jpg

Aerocatches for the bonnet

IMAGEB_00105.jpg

Battery box

IMAGEB_00106.jpg

Lifeline plumbed in and handheld AFFF fire extinguisher kit

IMAGEB_00107.jpg

High intensity horn

IMAGEB_00108.jpg

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
When does the rally season begin? Or when have you got to get this done by? really looking forward to seeing the finished article