ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear exhaust hanger , bolt size ?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Mine are rusted to fcuk , gonna have butcher them somehow to get them out and change the hangers . I know they're a T40 Torx head , i just wondered if anyone knows the size M6 , M8 etc ..... length ... ? Gonna keep soaking them in WD40 this week , hopefully that'll help as access is pretty restricted so can't get an impact gun in there , just a Torx socket . Maybe someone has dialogys on their pc and can have a look if it says the size ? I have a copy but can't find mine and don't have it installed on the pc . Or if someone has some knocking about ? Failing that if/when i get them out i'll replace them with some stainless bolts .

Any help would be much appreciated :D

"Navy" N17 TWO
Just seen this now, 2 of mine wouldn't come out of the bracket today, and part of the bracket sheered off in the process :(

Not a lot of room around it to get tools in there either

T21PHY

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault clio182 TROPHY
I have replaced the rear hangers this weekend. The bolts are tight. I used a breaker bar to get them out. One sheared so I removed the mounting that holds the exhaust hangers and put the whole lot in a vice. The nuts holding the bracket are easier to remove hope that makes sense.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Just seen this now, 2 of mine wouldn't come out of the bracket today, and part of the bracket sheered off in the process :(

Not a lot of room around it to get tools in there either

Hi . They're a pain in the arse to get out eh ? Last time i change the brackets about 2 years ago i never had a problem getting the bolts out , this time they've really rusted in though . That's why i wanted to know the size of the bolts in the likely event they'd be no use once i got em out . I never got round to doing it in the end , but will do quite soon . I was soaking them everyday in WD40 hoping that would give me a fighting chance . Have you managed it ? I was just gonna replace the torx head bolts with hex heads if i knew the size .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I have replaced the rear hangers this weekend. The bolts are tight. I used a breaker bar to get them out. One sheared so I removed the mounting that holds the exhaust hangers and put the whole lot in a vice. The nuts holding the bracket are easier to remove hope that makes sense.

Nice one . I think i'll have to go down that route too , removing the whole lot not just the brackets . Is the mounting that holds the brackets easy to remove ?

T21PHY

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault clio182 TROPHY
On mine it was a lot easier to remove the top mount that holds the hangers. Once off u can always heat the bracket and try removing the bolts when you've got it in a vice. I used penetrating oil and wd40 still hard work. Once off replace the bolts anyway so that future adjustment and replacement can be done I've just niped mine up until I can get some new ones tomorrow. Oh and copper slip the treads when reassembling. Oh use a 13mm socket the torx will be rusted and nakered.

T21PHY

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault clio182 TROPHY
image.jpg

"Navy" N17 TWO
Have you removed your arch liner to get access to that?

I had my n/s/r wheel off and still couldn't see a way in to the top of the mount :S

T21PHY

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault clio182 TROPHY
It's tight but lie on your back shimmy in from the rear and there right above u I used a 13mm with a extension on it and ratchet. There's 4 of them to remove the bracket if u look at the pic u can see there's copper slip on it. Maybe you've got a different exhaust?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It's tight but lie on your back shimmy in from the rear and there right above u I used a 13mm with a extension on it and ratchet. There's 4 of them to remove the bracket if u look at the pic u can see there's copper slip on it. Maybe you've got a different exhaust?

Top idea . Just went out to have a look , cracked all 8 nuts on both brackets . I used an 11mm socket though lol ? :S 2 were a bit rusty the other 6 were ok but i'll replace them with stainless nuts and copper slip em ya said .

The torx bolt and nut just come off then i take it ? I'll replace them with stainless nuts n bolts :D

T21PHY

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault clio182 TROPHY
Stainless would be good like or maybe just replace like for like and use copper slip for the treads also when you've taken the top bracket of and the exhaust hanger is still attached use a wire brush on the threads that protrude so that when you star to remove the hanger the threads are cleaner going through the nut. You'll know what I mean when you've got it in your hand.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Stainless would be good like or maybe just replace like for like and use copper slip for the treads also when you've taken the top bracket of and the exhaust hanger is still attached use a wire brush on the threads that protrude so that when you star to remove the hanger the threads are cleaner going through the nut. You'll know what I mean when you've got it in your hand.
I know what you mean , i'll give them a good clean up . Cheers for that mate :drunk:

"Navy" N17 TWO
I'm attacking mine again today

Looks like it's a backbox-off job to get better access to the mount

FF 182
Gonna do mine this weekend after doin the tiger seal job on some new hangers. Top forum this, has everything you need to know :)