ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault 5 gtt / 172 / 172 turbo Project

A

ashy_gtt

Can't believe you painted it Trophy Red..............

It's looking good mate, if you need a hand over the weekend give me a shout :)

Just spent ages posting a carcastic reply but then lost it somehow... In short it said "Its not F-IN trophy red!!!"

Trophy Turbo :)
Very good read Ashy lad, Looking well, i have some competition assembly lube here if you want it, im through Chester every day near enough so if u want me to drop it in i will, its the most goopy slippy stuff ive ever used :)

Keep up the good work :)

A

ashy_gtt

Very good read Ashy lad, Looking well, i have some competition assembly lube here if you want it, im through Chester every day near enough so if u want me to drop it in i will, its the most goopy slippy stuff ive ever used :)

Keep up the good work :)

Cheers andy, its OK thanks I've got plenty of lube ;)

David at Reno Durham was asking after you today, says you promised to drop a copy of your mag feature in as you'd given him and Malcom a mention :drunk:

A

ashy_gtt

Quick update, engines back together but I don't want to run VVT on the new engine so I needed a way to modify the standard inlet pulley so It doesn't develop the dreaded rattle.

So I've designed a solid version to replace the std item

Then made it at work...

DSC_0331.jpg

DSC_0332.jpg

DSC_0330.jpg

Just modified the design slightly with the lightening holes to ensure the solid version was the same weight as the std pulley.

Hopefully over the weekend I should be able to get the engine finished, back together and mated up to the VW box for fitting!
cool.gif

Cant wait to get it in the bay!

A

ashy_gtt

ashy why don't you just run two exhaust pulley's??

I would of still needed to VVT delete the std inlet cam, plus the exhaust pulley would of needed to be machined slightly anyway.

Plus I've got access to the kit to do it so why not :)

A

ashy_gtt

Heres a few pics of my VVT delete setup.

The oil ways in the end of the cam that feed the pulley measure 3.8mm dia. So I god some stainless pins ground to 3.83mm dia with a slight lead in. They were a nice tight fit and pressed nicely into position.

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0338.jpg

Then the pulley bolt needed to be plugged. The bore was 5mm dia, perfect for tapping M6. So once it was tapped a stainless steel grub screw was lock-tighted in place.

DSC_0339.jpg

Bolted up, just need to fit shorter M6 bolts.

DSC_0345.jpg

So now its time to get stuck into it in the garage. See how far we get today :)

A

ashy_gtt

Good days graft today, engines now in.

DSC_0367.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

Trouble is the old exhaust manifold now fouls the gear selector. Looks like I'm gona need to build a new exhaust manifold and downpipe... The question is do I update the turbo whilst I'm on?!?

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
can you make a more detailed pic of the gearbox mount for me?

very nice project! car looks mint too!

clio 172-?
just read all this at stupid o clock in the morning, amazing project you are a machine haha well done keep it up :)

A

ashy_gtt

Small update this week...

New brakes turned up :cool: Was supprised how big the calipers were... Just need to get the front end built up then I can try them on :D

DSC_0427.jpg

Also new turbo arrived... So I can start building my manifold, here it is in the bay on my fixture so I can get the position right then transfer it onto a spare head to build it up...

DSC_0435.jpg

DSC_0437.jpg

DSC_0436.jpg

Oh and fitted some new leather seats in my white R5...

DSC_0421.jpg

DSC_0422.jpg

DSC_0425.jpg

A

ashy_gtt

Had a few days off work so got to work building a new exhaust manifold.

Tacked Up

tacked_up.jpg

Welded up

welded_manifold.jpg

Test Fitted

mani_rear.jpg

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
nice work! very tight in there!
aren't you tall enough to make the pic standing on the ground? :p

A

ashy_gtt

Not done much recently as we just had our 2nd baby on Friday... However I've designed a new inlet manifold and I'm in the process of making it...

Heres a pic of the 3d CAD.

manifold.JPG

A

ashy_gtt

Started building the manifold, heres a few pics:

DSC_0763.jpg

DSC_0781.jpg

DSC_0756.jpg

DSC_0783.jpg

DSC_0784.jpg

Needs jigging up for fabrication next....