ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault oil filter Different?

CLIO Iceberg 172
Hi guys just got a quick question regarding the Renault part oil filter.
now iv been told by an AA man at the start of the year that the Renault filter is different to the pat part generic filter from halfords or opie...
something to do with an oil pressure regulator or oil valve or something...what ever its ment to have the generic ones arn't...

now was he talking out his arse or is there some truth to this?

No he is right the renault filter is different to the non genuine parts about.. Hence why you should use genuine oil filter

CLIO Iceberg 172
cool figured there might be somthing to this... im guessing its to help the dephaser pully

172 PH1
I think you will find FRAM are actually o.e. on these filters, so go and see your local motor factor who does FRAM, and you will be getting the same filter.

Yes I have cut them open to have a look too lol

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Actually he's partially correct, but he's refering to the williams/valver

Renault discontinued the correct genuine filter for the williams, and made the filters one size fits all. The only filter with the correct non return valve in it for a williams is made by Champion.

Doesn't effect the F4R at all

Lionel Richie
I think you will find FRAM are actually o.e. on these filters, so go and see your local motor factor who does FRAM, and you will be getting the same filter.

Yes I have cut them open to have a look too lol

Purflux actually ;) (same parent company but meh!)

don't use cheap non genuine s**t, i've seen a few with broken valves - all non genuine (causes low oil pressure)

172 PH1
This.

Even though I work at a factors and can pick up these filters for less than a pound, I still use Renault oil filters.

On your everyday 1.6 Ford Focus non genuine I would say yes, but on a highly strung clio doing over 7000rpm regularly, and which is obviously going to get driven hard - worth the extra mere pounds every day of the week.

clio diesel
Just found this thread on google.

Quick bump to point out that renault do not necessarily produce the correct filters for your car.

The williams filter should be a mann w75/2. Renault discontinued this part and now sell a mann 75/3. It physically fits, but has different relief valve pressure, different pore size and different filtering capacity.

They did this for cost reasons. Sometimes it is far better to do your research and find a non-Renault filter that actually works how it was designed to work on you engine.

The mann 75/3 fits neary every single renault. So are the 'genuine result' supporters actually saying that an f4r or f7r needs the same filter as a 1.2 petrol or a 1.9 diesel van or a truck?

Because that is how renault sell their filters.

And as for quality. LOL @ anyone who thinks renault OEM stuff isnt the cheapest crap they can buy in bulk. Who do you think they buy this stuff from? The magic fairy? Its made in the same factories as all the other filters.

HBT 172 Cup
I had oil pressure problems with the Genuine Filter on an old F7R engine of mine, 2 bar max when hot. Used a Champion F136 filter (That the williamsclio people used to swear by), straight up to ~5 bar, renault arent the holy grail for oil filters. Dont think you can get your hands on the champion filters anymore though.

225 Cup & Williams
I had oil pressure problems with the Genuine Filter on an old F7R engine of mine, 2 bar max when hot. Used a Champion F136 filter (That the williamsclio people used to swear by), straight up to ~5 bar, renault arent the holy grail for oil filters. Dont think you can get your hands on the champion filters anymore though.

I've got 6 on the shelf in my garage ;)

clio diesel
OE on the F4R is Purflux, i wouldn't fit anything else!

Can you tell me the relief valve pressure, the filter size and the flow rate for this filter?

If not, why do you think it is suitable?

Renault sell a filter for the williams that physically fits. Mann have confirmed in an email to me that the filter now sold by Renault does not match the original spec the williams required for filtration and flow.

But it is OE so will work ok yeah?

Sorry, your logic does not compute.

clio diesel
By the way, i was the one who did the original research on the champion filter. I have found a better alternative that almost exactly matches the original Mann 75/2 filter sold by renault as the original spec filter.

It is better than the Champion one as it is slightly closer to the correct spec. It hold better pressure and is larger too so holds more debris.

The filter is also very cheap (i paid £2.70) and is readily available.

I will post the name of the filter on www.williamsclio when northy promises to un-ban me.

225 Cup & Williams
By the way, i was the one who did the original research on the champion filter. I have found a better alternative that almost exactly matches the original Mann 75/2 filter sold by renault as the original spec filter.

It is better than the Champion one as it is slightly closer to the correct spec. It hold better pressure and is larger too so holds more debris.

The filter is also very cheap (i paid £2.70) and is readily available.

I will post the name of the filter on www.williamsclio when northy promises to un-ban me.

What filter is it?

Lionel Richie
Can you tell me the relief valve pressure, the filter size and the flow rate for this filter?

If not, why do you think it is suitable?

Renault sell a filter for the williams that physically fits. Mann have confirmed in an email to me that the filter now sold by Renault does not match the original spec the williams required for filtration and flow.

But it is OE so will work ok yeah?

Sorry, your logic does not compute.

I don't give a toss what the F7R or F7P engine uses, i'm on about the F4R as stated, and that's what the OP's car has as an engine

clio diesel
I don't give a toss what the F7R or F7P engine uses, i'm on about the F4R as stated, and that's what the OP's car has as an engine

So tell me what filtration the F4R needs then. How close is Renault to this value? Why does renault provide a generic filter that fits an F4R and a 1.2 petrol and a diesel van.

Are you telling me the filtration requirment of these three engines is the same? Do they have the same oil pumps? I dont think so.

What if the purflux filter is a good fit to the diesel van's requirements but a poor fit to the 182's requirement?

The advantage of the williams is that is has an oil gauge, and so you can physically see the renault filters restricting flow to the top of the engine.

Have you checked the pressure of the oil with different filters?

Because i have.

Lionel Richie
your argument is both strange and odd, if the genuine renault filter for the F4R engine was no good then surely every single F4R engine in existence would've gone bang by now?

and FYI the diesel engines use the same oil pump as the F4 ;)

clio diesel
your argument is both strange and odd, if the genuine renault filter for the F4R engine was no good then surely every single F4R engine in existence would've gone bang by now?

and FYI the diesel engines use the same oil pump as the F4 ;)

No, your argument is a strawman.

The filter will obviously do no harm to the engine in the short term. But if it reduces the oil pressure (actually a measure of oil flow) then logically the amount of oil arriving at the top of the engine will be reduced.

I have measured these filters on a F7R and i know for a fact that the genuine Renault filter (mann 75/3) now supplied for the williams restricts the flow (reduced pressure) compared to the original filter (mann 75/2) that has now been discontinued. After discovering this i wrote to mann and asked about the difference in the filters and they told me that the pore size, by-pass valve release pressure and flow rate are different. They said this is very likely the reason for the pressure changes. They even advised me not to use it (the 75/3).

After this i researched filters with the same or similar spec to the original mann filter and found the champion f136 is a better match. Nearly all the wc lot now use this filter, because it works and gives correct book oil pressure. I have since found another filter that is also more suitable.

The reason renault supply 1 filter for most cars is because of cost saving.

Now i have no idea about oil pressure in the f4r. But i would be willing to bet that the purflux filter restricts the pressure as it does in the f7r.

Using words like 'surely' intimate that you have not investigated this matter and therefore are in no real position to make an informed judgement.

People with low oil pressure and apparent pressure problems have fitted the champion filter to a williams and returned the pressure to the normal range.

Last edited:
  FF Clio 182
I just go down to my local Renault dealership and say "Can I have an oil filter for my 182" then he gives me the one I need..... Simple really

clio diesel
I just go down to my local Renault dealership and say "Can I have an oil filter for my 182" then he gives me the one I need..... Simple really

And then a guy comes down and asks for a filter for his truck and they give him the same filter.

But glad you are happy.

I guess the lack of an oil pressure gauge gives you cognitive dissonance.

clio diesel
How did you measure them then?

Oil pressure test with a mechanical gauge front and rear of block.

Also took them apart and measured the filtration of the media with an oil drip test.

But i didnt really have to measure them, as Mann sent me their lab data. They had them on a rig to test them.

But their data just confirmed what i had already worked out. The renault filter is b****cks (if you have a willaims or 16v)

FF Clio 182
And then a guy comes down and asks for a filter for his truck and they give him the same filter.

But glad you are happy.

I guess the lack of an oil pressure gauge gives you cognitive dissonance.

Clio Sports do have an oil pressure gauge.

I know what they look like and the part number so I just ask.

clio diesel
Fred, i dare you to try it. Get a purflux on a williams and note the pressure, then fit a champion and note the improved flow.

Dozens of people on wc have done this and its a fact. Sorry.

Lionel Richie
it probably is, but i'm on about an F4R, i still don't get why you keep harping on about it??

I HAVE to use genuine because if a customer car leaves my workshop with anything else and it goes bang (due to a part failure) then good luck getting it repaired by whoever you purchased your non genuine part from! Renault cover it in my case!

seeing as you're on a mission with this, why not contact purflux and get their data on their genuine filter??

clio diesel
Well that is a different argument. Originally you said you used genuine renault because 'surely' Renault know what they are doing. Now you say it is because of customer expectation, and that is a different matter.

Try it on an f4r and report back. Use a mechanical gauge.

Purflux v Champion f136.

I know purflux will return a low flow rate because that was the filter i first had the problem with. When gsf sold them in a renault box with a renault stamp on them.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
is anyone else bemused by chris lewis and his very odd argument with fred about a different engines oil filter?! :S

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Its only here because he is banned from the other more relevant forum. It is quite an interesting read though.

Lionel Richie
if anyone cares

i spoke to Sogefi who make the OE filters for the following
http://www.sogefigroup.com/en/sogefi-group/our-clients.html

they very kindly sent me the tech spec of the genuine OE filter as fitted by Renault
filter_zps95d6d76c.png

feel free to comment Chris, i can pass on the details of the tech people i spoke to no bother

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
is anyone else bemused by chris lewis and his very odd argument with fred about a different engines oil filter?! :S

No. Im very interested. If im putting filters on my engine that could be potentially causing oil pressure issues and there are better variants available then i want to know about it.

Lionel Richie
i stick to and swear buy genuine, anything else belongs in the bin, but that's my opinion!! Fell free to ring John at SOGEFI!