ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

replaced cat to manifold gasket...

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Hey

so I replaced the gasket between cat and manifold due to loud boom from that area.

now the drone did die Down, but I can smell exhaust through the vents and will bonnet up I can smell it coming from the back of engine.

The gasket is visible and I can see a good 5 mm gap between maifold and the cat flanges with gasket visible.

What can I do now?

I'm tempted to slacken the nuts, undo cat back exhaust and jiggle it about then do up the nuts then reconnect cat back... but that's a good hour plus in the cold lol

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Ok an update for anyone who has an issue

I Undid the Cat -> Exhaust olive joint.
Loosend the Backbox hanger (was pulling the exhaust back)
Wiggled and pushed Cat towards engine (moved about 1-2mm at most)
Then sealed it all back up, and tightend the back box hanger in correct place.

This seems to have stopped it smelling, Unless i have just Pulled away hard and then stopped, a wiff does come through the vents. But the noise is reduced.

Even when fitted well exhausts are under huge stress they seem to move from cat and middle section on 182s.
Obviously make sure you use a genuine cat to manifold kit

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Good on you, thats a pain in the ass replacing the cat to manifold gasket on your own. Its one of those jobs that is so much easier with 2 people - did you do the nuts and bolts from the engine side or from under the car. Are you on ocuk btw.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I am on ocuk yes mate.

I had my mate locate a spanner on the engine side bolts and hold whilst I did the work under the car.

I did try it on my own but was impossible in 3c with wind blowing :(

I will be doing it all again when my silenced decat comes along with new exhaust.