ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 exhaust fitting kit (manifold to cat)- DIY?

Andyl20

ClioSport Club Member
Is this a job that can be done solo without anything as drastic (to me) as dropping the subframe, or am I better taking it to an exhaust garage? Just done steering rack bushes and they were horrendous, so not fancying epic battle 😊 if a garage is my best bet does anyone have recommendations in the West Midlands? Thanks again all.

btw reason I’m thinking to do it is because I am getting a smell of fumes in the car and sure I can hear a blow. There was one on the cat to midpipe but I’ve had that welded and repaired so again process of elimination has me thinking the manifold to cat join is the next target

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
172 cat to manifold joint is a massive MASSIVE pain in the ass. Do not want.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I made my own fitting kit 3 1/2 years ago and still going strong .

Andyl20

ClioSport Club Member
I made my own fitting kit 3 1/2 years ago and still going strong .

Thanks very much for this. Would you be able to advise if the end cups are available anywhere or could I come to arrangement to purchase some from yourself?

Thinking to have a crack at fitting this myself now after a nights sleep post steering rack bushes torture [emoji23]

...Just checking is the fitting the same for 172 and 182?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Thanks very much for this. Would you be able to advise if the end cups are available anywhere or could I come to arrangement to purchase some from yourself?

Thinking to have a crack at fitting this myself now after a nights sleep post steering rack bushes torture [emoji23]

...Just checking is the fitting the same for 172 and 182?
I don't have any of those stainless end caps left i had made and I don't work there anymore.
All the other parts can be bought from eBay from the links I posted. You should be able to re-use the springs as they seem to be the part that don't rust.

Andyl20

ClioSport Club Member
I don't have any of those stainless end caps left i had made and I don't work there anymore.
All the other parts can be bought from eBay from the links I posted. You should be able to re-use the springs as they seem to be the part that don't rust.

Great. I’ll buy an original parts set to get the fibre donut, end caps & springs and upgrade all the other parts for those you listed [emoji1303] will be a job for next weekend.

monaco 172
It's easy.

I found it useful to have somebody in the engine bay with a socket on the other side of the bolt as it's quite awkward from underneath.

Other than that it's no problem

I found a universal joint attachment and a load of extensions worthwhile

Andyl20

ClioSport Club Member

Nice one! I did have the official Renault fitting kit in basket as read some threads suggesting third party ones could be a bit iffy? This one do the job? Tbh I only need the springs, gasket and end pieces as I’ll replace the other bits with stainless as suggested by mrbillyuk.

Andyl20

ClioSport Club Member
Got one of the sides off on a solo attempt tonight, but couldn’t get the spanner to hold on at the engine side whilst trying to remove the other so will rope in a mate to shove his hand down there next weekend. Ordered all the new bits today. Seems a lot less hassle than the steering bushes so far [emoji23]

Andyl20

ClioSport Club Member
[mention]MRBILLYUK [/mention] - just checking, will the cups that come with the standard kit fit the stainless M8 bolt from the kit you posted up or will they need drilling? If so what size drill bit would be required? Cheers

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
[mention]MRBILLYUK [/mention] - just checking, will the cups that come with the standard kit fit the stainless M8 bolt from the kit you posted up or will they need drilling? If so what size drill bit would be required? Cheers
The standard cups will definitely need drilling to make the holes a bit bigger. I'm not sure off the top of my head what size.
If you have any small engineering firm locally it might be worth asking if they could make you a couple out of stainless.
I'm sure they wouldn't charge you much.

Andyl20

ClioSport Club Member
Don't recommend the 65mm one as the pipe diameter measured 65.75mm when I measured. 66mm is the safer bet. @Andyl20

I’ve gone for the kit you referenced:

Assuming the gasket from the is the right size.

I will (attempt) to retrofit the better stainless nuts, bolts and washers along with opening up the standard cups with a drill (will practise on my old ones first!).

So plan is to use the gasket and springs from the kit, modify the cups and replace everything else for stainless items.

Andyl20

ClioSport Club Member
I got it’s on both sides off tonight which was a good start but now having an issue getting the existing fibre gasket off. It’s really wedges onto the down pipe from the manifold. Starting pulling at it with pliers and it’s slowly breaking down, but had to abandon works tonight to go have dinner [emoji4] another observation I made though was that there isn’t much wiggle room between the cat and the down pipe, so not sure how tricky it will be fitting the new gasket. Would I need to unbolt the cat from the midpipe in the worst case? How have others got on with this bit? Am I missing a trick? Cheers all.

Andyl20

ClioSport Club Member
Any pearls of wisdom before I head back out to try and rip this fibre gasket apart? [emoji1]

monaco 172
Can't help with the fibre washer other than just keep chipping away at it, I never had that issue, maybe a drip of wd40 might help free it.

The entire exhaust is hung on rubber so there should be plenty of movement to get the new dohnut in, but if you really do struggle then the cat to centre section joint is only 2 bolts, easy enough to undoo.

Andyl20

ClioSport Club Member
Can't help with the fibre washer other than just keep chipping away at it, I never had that issue, maybe a drip of wd40 might help free it.

The entire exhaust is hung on rubber so there should be plenty of movement to get the new dohnut in, but if you really do struggle then the cat to centre section joint is only 2 bolts, easy enough to undoo.

Thanks mate. You’re right about the cat bolts it’s just they look a bit of a state. Might prime with some WD40 in case they need to come off[emoji1303]

Andyl20

ClioSport Club Member
43d286113692a7f16c8f1d71aeeeddc1.jpg

Got the old cr4p off after a lot of messing about and swearing. Had to unbolt the cat from the midpipe to get the gasket back on then fitted the new kit. Blow is completely gone so fixed a treat. Didn’t get after photos as I forgot. Not nearly as fiddly as the steering rack bushes but still not fun [emoji4] now onto more (hopefully) more enjoyable tasks of stripping the interior to further ready for a maiden track day outing if we ever get back to normality! Thanks again to all for the advice with this one[emoji1303]

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Perhaps I was doing something wrong but trying to fit my decat and new fitting kit I found I couldn’t get the pipe on enough over the fire ring. Once the bolt was through with gasket / spring it was at the end of the bolt. There was no way I was getting any compression to then fit the washer / end cap & nut.

If I’m missing a trick here the. Please someone advise me??