ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing front springs 172 help!

VaVa
Just done the nearside. Had an absolute b*****d getting to two lower bolts back in!

What was I doing wrong?!!! I thought it was the easiest job on earth! :eek:

Really struggled to get the holes to line up.

And the two bolts were 21mm not 17/18 as described in the guide. Stoopid French sizes FTL

Also, should there be a rubber cup that the bottom of the spring seats into? There's one pictured in the guide section but no sign of one on mine!

TIA

Last edited:
  VaVa
Yeah I'd seen that.... When I fitted the new spring and then put it all back together the bolt holes at the bottom of the damper were about an inch out and there was no give in the spring/damper. Tried pushing the hub down too but didn't get much give out of that either!

I had to put spring clamps on with the damper in place and then push the damper up to get the holes lined up. Was a f**king ball ache on my own, but people seem to find this an easy job so I guess I've been doing something wrong!

I think I should stick to wires tbh lol

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Did you have both wheels off the ground when doing it or just one side at a time?

VaVa
One side at a time.... I fear you may have uncovered my failing lol. :eek:

I was a bit nervous about moving the hub around too much in case the drive shaft popped out lol :eek:

VaVa
Found out from elsewhere, but thanks muchly for the reply edde!

Ooh edde while you're here - Any idea why the two bolts at the bottom of the damper were a 21mm socket and not 18mm and 17mm like other 172's?!

Last edited:
  C63 AMG, F430 & 172
you just use a breaker bar or the likes between the wishbone and subframe to push down while you line the shock bolts up, the ARB pulls the wishbone up hence it being out of place.

dummo ;)

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

Ooh edde while you're here - Any idea why the two bolts at the bottom of the damper were a 21mm socket and not 18mm and 17mm like other 172's?!

there all 21mm. only non sports are 18mm and 17mm

Just the way they are

M

mini-valver

Edde, ever descriptive, lol.

Anti-roll bar pushes the lower arm up when the weight is on the wheels dude, so you have a b*****d getting the hub bolts lined up ;)

VaVa
Edde, ever descriptive, lol.

Anti-roll bar pushes the lower arm up when the weight is on the wheels dude, so you have a b*****d getting the hub bolts lined up ;)

Yup. As soon as I realised what I'd done wrong, I thought "Anti f**king roll bar".:banghead:

I should stick to electrics tbh lol.

Thanks for replies anywho.

And as a side note I'm massively impressed with the Eibach Pro's. Got them of here for £70 pretty much as new.

Turn in feels better and body roll is slightly reduced without losing the nice progressive feel.

Not much harsher ride either!