ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RichjWilliams - Track Day Trophy #343

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Can the moderator who removed all the associated business contact me regarding the deletion of posts in MY build thread on a PUBLIC forum, I have not been notified regarding this.

I find this highly suspicious...

7. Please do not question or discuss moderation or administrative decisions on the forum. If you have a query, then please PM a moderator. Breaking this rule will result in a major infraction (2 points)

​Probably best off just sending a PM to a Mod or member of Admin.

Clio Trophy #343
Today the seats have been fitted to the clio in the expert hands of Dewis Motorsport :)

The car has just arrived home and the seats look mint, perfect driving position :)

A massive massive thank you to Dewis motorsprt for working on the car over the weekend

The frames he made:

F883FEA2-D3F9-410C-A0AB-76B582B9EAA4-287-000000184204AC13.jpg

27E79CA5-854C-4F42-9F9E-8162C1B2088E-287-000000184341DC2B.jpg

E9F27B7A-4F27-4166-A9F1-E55D0C2E8276-287-000000184572BEB0.jpg

Most of the tar/sound deadening removed

427B4EB6-5449-4FB5-BC3E-DC24C48DD7AC-287-000000184BA7A6B2.jpg

First seat in
0B38719E-AFE4-4128-820C-D85FEADEF548-287-000000184717702D.jpg

F3B16126-FE34-49D1-8AB2-E5D656E5C551-287-000000184E53AF85.jpg

68A6FBBE-C110-41FA-BE04-D6309D579697-287-000000184926F270.jpg

The two in together

737E6F9D-8871-4FC8-8D78-B0B80AB04C69-287-00000018520906AD.jpg

763D724E-9DD3-4310-9EA9-2A2C50907979-287-00000018505FA5FA.jpg

Other bits done by Matt

Exhaust rattle sorted
Carbon wrap effect bollox removed
New brake fluid collected

And after a good drive the eml has turned off what a bonus :)

To do list:

Bleed up brakes
Track day

Post track day to do
Paint inside
Maybe pms top mounts and brace

Clio Trophy #343
After a good session on the pikey which I will update soon... We gave the car a clean

Matt have it an the standard hose down and once over with the car shampoo :)

302E0933-AFE6-42AC-B90E-33C8E894080B-3577-000003295125F522.jpg

Then it received:
A clay
A polish
A waxing
Glass polish

But by that time it was totally dark lol

I woke up this morning to this

3B42FB51-8804-432A-8EEC-55D7EB82F108-3577-000003297934D9AE.jpg

I hope we have done Lesley proud lol, pics are car to follow tonight :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Looking nice and ready to use on Saturday at combe then mate :)

See you there.

Im going to take the mrs car out for the 9:15 session so we can have a decent tear up, your weight saving versus our slight power gains should be a pretty even match I reckon.

Clio Trophy #343
Brakes are all perfect now with the new fluid throughtout, brake test and they felt really solid, nice and even braking :)

Tonights Jobs:
New Oil & Filter
New Plugs and Leads
Nut and Bolt check on anything we have touched

then it will be ready for coombe, should have thought about setting a camera up but never mind

Clio Trophy #343
Looking nice and ready to use on Saturday at combe then mate :)

See you there.

Im going to take the mrs car out for the 9:15 session so we can have a decent tear up, your weight saving versus our slight power gains should be a pretty even match I reckon.

give us a couple of laps to get used to the car, so far i have driven it for maybe an hour..lol

I would like to see how they match up :) but i fear your experiance would make it a fairly unrealistic comparison anyway..lol

it should be a good little match up though if we can get, you, dewis, criag and tommy all lined up together to see how they all fair???

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
give us a couple of laps to get used to the car, so far i have driven it for maybe an hour..lol

I would like to see how they match up :) but i fear your experiance would make it a fairly unrealistic comparison anyway..lol

it should be a good little match up though if we can get, you, dewis, criag and tommy all lined up together to see how they all fair???

Yeah at combe I must confess even in equal cars Id bet on me against you probably just cause ive spent so long there, but on the other hand you have the advantage that you arent driving your mrs daily and thats going to cancel out a big chunk of my normal bravery on camp corner for example, so it might be more even than you think.

Should think Tommy will just be totally gone with the extra power he has, but yeah I reckon it will be great between you, me, craig and dewis (assuming Dewis is in the NA corsa not the turbo one? which Im guessing he is as Ive not heard from him for mapping on the turbo one recently like I would have expected if he was using it)

Clio Trophy #343
Yeah at combe I must confess even in equal cars Id bet on me against you probably just cause ive spent so long there, but on the other hand you have the advantage that you arent driving your mrs daily and thats going to cancel out a big chunk of my normal bravery on camp corner for example, so it might be more even than you think.

Should think Tommy will just be totally gone with the extra power he has, but yeah I reckon it will be great between you, me, craig and dewis (assuming Dewis is in the NA corsa not the turbo one? which Im guessing he is as Ive not heard from him for mapping on the turbo one recently like I would have expected if he was using it)

Tbh it will be good fun trying to keep up anyway :)

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Good to meet you (and your bro) today Rich, albeit briefly. Looked like it was a successful day on track - you were going well out there when I saw you!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Rich, got this picture for you, it seems to involve both commitment AND a modicum of talent so I assume it was Matt driving not you?

springaction1292_zps7a9db72e.jpg

Also got this one of your track car just before I overtook it in my mrs daily driver, so I assume that was you driving for that one?

springaction133_zpsffa0eac3.jpg

Clio Trophy #343
Good to meet you (and your bro) today Rich, albeit briefly. Looked like it was a successful day on track - you were going well out there when I saw you!

Good to meet you too mate, thanks for coming to say hi, we were really really pleased with the car and how it went :) totally enjoyed ourselves today, couple of bits that the day brought to our attention but only minor things :)

We came over to have a chat but i could not see you, I did see your car though, looked ubber clean :)

Clio Trophy #343
Rich, got this picture for you, it seems to involve both commitment AND a modicum of talent so I assume it was Matt driving not you?

springaction1292_zps7a9db72e.jpg

Also got this one of your track car just before I overtook it in my mrs daily driver, so I assume that was you driving for that one?

springaction133_zpsffa0eac3.jpg

Both are me driving :)

I'm happy to admit you beat me :) I had a great day anyway, I really enjoyed the ride in yours and it showed me a few tricks lol

And tbh when we turned down the rarb the car was reAlly good :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Both are me driving :)

Ah, apologies, it looked like talent not luck so I thought it was Matt, I stand corrected.

I'm happy to admit you beat me :)

Only teasing mate, you were going pretty well I thought :)

I had a great day anyway, I really enjoyed the ride in yours and it showed me a few tricks lol

Glad you both had a good day mate, the trophy really is ideal for you guys, and im not just saying that cause I made you buy it, lol.

And tbh when we turned down the rarb the car was reAlly good :)

You're welcome ;)
Was quite literally visibly the problem, lol. turn it back up when you do llandow though, you will love it through the bus stop when its on full!

Clio Trophy #343
We are both really eager for the next day now :)

Going to make a todo list and look at our next day, be good to have along I really enjoyed the first session chasing eachother :)

It was quite fun in oversteer mode as the car is just so controllable :) the pic you have I think is when I took 8v Craig out and said "I'm pleased we have turned down the rarb as it was so rear happy before" 10 seconds later we are both looking out the passenger window as above lol

I must admit though the car made it feel easy, made us feel like I could drive all of a sudden lol

We all had a brilliant day though, felt a bit like the original vs days with the mega friendly feel to all jumping in each others cars etc

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
We are both really eager for the next day now :)
Good stuff :)

Going to make a todo list and look at our next day, be good to have along I really enjoyed the first session chasing eachother :)

Yes mate, when you guys are a little bit quicker it will be epic fun, TBH at the moment its a bit too one sided so was probably more fun for you than me just like when I was failing to keep with Nick it was probably more fun for me trying than it was for him marching off into the distance, lol.

It was quite fun in oversteer mode as the car is just so controllable :)

Get it booked on the burpspeed llandow day mate, you will love it there.

the pic you have I think is when I took 8v Craig out and said "I'm pleased we have turned down the rarb as it was so rear happy before" 10 seconds later we are both looking out the passenger window as above lol

I must admit though the car made it feel easy, made us feel like I could drive all of a sudden lol

yeah they are a pretty easy car to catch (although I still did a 180 when I backed off for that evo which caught me out, in fact if Ive got video of it you will probably hear me saying "what the hell happened there" lol)

We all had a brilliant day though, felt a bit like the original vs days with the mega friendly feel to all jumping in each others cars etc
Yeah man, we definitely need to get the OPD crew out at the same time on some more trackdays!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ah you mean high res, in which case yes, just need to dig the original back out and email it to you, nag me as I will forget!

Lionel Richie
Is that the turbo or non turbo car Chip? If that went past you (non turbo) Rich i declare you a soft lad that needs more brave pills! Oh and polishing your car for a trackday is 300% gay

Clio Trophy #343
Is that the turbo or non turbo car Chip? If that went past you (non turbo) Rich i declare you a soft lad that needs more brave pills! Oh and polishing your car for a trackday is 300% gay

Ha ha ha ha thanks fred :)

It was non turbo :( but experience showed and that is something i still only had a moderate amount of by comparison to chip lol

in the beginning it was really stiff at the rear making it great fun but something I'm not used to and certainly not daring enough to be really throwing it through camp.... But don't worry it was really only chip that showed us up, we were making most other things look relatively slow lol later in the day with the rarb turned down we went a lot better :)

And as for polishing it... What can I say the trophy has rubbed off on me I guess lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I was in my mrs daily on road tyres, he was in his stripped trophy on a048. ;)

Was visibly the arb that was the problem though, as he was fighting trying to control it and the rear was all over the place. Was a lot better when I got him to turn it down.

Like rich says though it was their first time ever out in the car and he's not done Combe many times where as I'm used to both my mrs daily and the track so it was never really going to be a fair fight, im only teasing him, plus even with the weight difference in his favour ours was a little quicker but we do have an rs2 and 197 cams so again not really any indication of a problem with the Williams trophy.

Clio Trophy #343
I'm not in anyway disappointed though :) me and Matt had a fantastic day, the car performed superbly and was great fun. The way I see it now we just need more seat time :) and as Fred is so local, hopefully he would jump in with us on a local trackday and teach us some racing skills ha ha ha

That first session was brilliant though, I think the only car to overtake me was chip, we just monstered past everyone else it was brilliant fun and very flattering.

Sorry for polishing I agree its not the usual track car thing to do but its a trophy and looks so good in photos lol, the reason I had it sideways was to hide the scuff lol

Clio Trophy #343
Chip-mk1 said:
Car specs:

Camera car:
Lesley's RS2 daily driver, RS2 inlet, 197 cams, mapped by me, cup shocks, cooksport springs, cup wishbones.
Full road weight, RSR tyres

Matt and Rich Williams from ClubOPD.com in their Clio Trophy that we are following:
Standard trophy other than stripped out to save weight, lightweight buckets, whiteline rear ARB, A048 tyres

Such good fun playing around with relatively even cars, and when they get a bit quicker it will be even more fun :)

(and they WILL get quicker as it was their first track outing and they arent used to combe really, where as Ive been going to combe a long time and am experienced in our car)

sorry about the sound being a bit distorted, our newer gopros were on my car and the older one is a bit knackered I think.

As per chips post.. Tonnes of room for improvement but had a great session :) I feel I vastly improved on the second session but no video evidence :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio Trophy #343
LOL talk about rubbing it in!

LOL, who needs enemies when you have chip..all good banter to be honest, next time we go i would like chip to come out for a few pointers :)

Chip also mentioned Tony may be able to help for a small Fee, so I need to find out what track days he is on and attempt to introduce myself..lol