ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RichjWilliams - Track Day Trophy #343

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
LOL, who needs enemies when you have chip..all good banter to be honest, next time we go i would like chip to come out for a few pointers :)

No problem at all mate, can give you a few pointers but like I said im pretty average and tony is the man you want.

Chip also mentioned Tony may be able to help for a small Fee, so I need to find out what track days he is on and attempt to introduce myself..lol

We normally just chuck him some petrol money for the race car as a thankyou, he doesnt specifically charge as such.

Best possible time to get his with you would be the llandow day, and on that occasion you dont even need to chuck him some fuel money as advice is included in the price of the day.

Clio Trophy #343
No problem at all mate, can give you a few pointers but like I said im pretty average and tony is the man you want.

We normally just chuck him some petrol money for the race car as a thankyou, he doesnt specifically charge as such.

Best possible time to get his with you would be the llandow day, and on that occasion you dont even need to chuck him some fuel money as advice is included in the price of the day.

sounds like we best get booked on that day then :) I will sort this as soon as i get abck from holiday ;)

Clio Trophy #343
lol at the sideways pic, full committment!!

Glad to see its being used properly though ;)

I was saying to matt on teh drive home, for all its potential history.... It's mint :)

had to turn the RARB down though, it was way to twitchy for my liking/experiance..lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
lol, not surprising, think i had it on 'full stiff' - would certainly have made it ummm, interesting with so much weight removed ...

Which judging by the pictures, you quickly found out ;)

Was bizarre following him, could see him doing all this work trying to get it round the bend, and in ours with lesser spec tyres and lesser spec shocks and more weight, we were just pottering around effortlessly at the same speed with no drama and could have easily gone quicker, shows how bad those ARB's can be for a cars handling if not set right.

Clio Trophy #343
I booked it :D you should too!!! :D

100% - I now need to put some attention towards the family, as between me and matt we have had two cars to get ready and its meant never being home before 9pm.

however, quick family holiday and that will be remedied and we will be booking some days and back to work :)

Clio Trophy #343
Was bizarre following him, could see him doing all this work trying to get it round the bend, and in ours with lesser spec tyres and lesser spec shocks and more weight, we were just pottering around effortlessly at the same speed with no drama and could have easily gone quicker, shows how bad those ARB's can be for a cars handling if not set right.

i was driving it thinking exactly the same... Lesleys car just stuck, in ours I had the wheel in all directions trying to get round the corner without a spin..lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i was driving it thinking exactly the same... Lesleys car just stuck, in ours I had the wheel in all directions trying to get round the corner without a spin..lol

Would love to carry on the banter and say it was my talent and smooth lines and inch perfect control, but thats just nonsense clearly it was just lesley's really does handle absolutely spot on where as yours isnt there yet.

Quite tempted to keep hers as a cheap track hack as it just works SO well, and get a tidier shell to start again with as she does like a bit of detailing etc and a car with scratches and chips all over it and laquer peel etc isnt really the ideal target for her skills!

Clio Trophy #343
Only a total idiot would drive around in a car moaning the wheel was at the wrong height and not notice there was an adjuster till someone told them...

I told matt the story and he laughed as we both have the same adjustment on our daily drivers.... lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I get blamed for lots of things Chippy, so you never know.;)

TBH I blame you for my aggressive overtake into the chicane when I was following Rich, you gave me some tuition afterall and IMHO there are no such thing as bad students only bad teachers (thats what they said on karate kid IIRC) so it must have been your fault.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I told matt the story and he laughed as we both have the same adjustment on our daily drivers.... lol

Yeah I was pretty embarassed when I was moaning to the mrs about the wheel position and she pointed out it was adjustable, lol.
Had happily just removed rebuilt and refitted and mapped a new turbo engine for it, but the steering wheel adjustment was beyond me figuring out on my own. :(

182cup & 172 racecar
TBH I blame you for my aggressive overtake into the chicane when I was following Rich, you gave me some tuition afterall and IMHO there are no such thing as bad students only bad teachers (thats what they said on karate kid IIRC) so it must have been your fault.

​Shame you didn't listen to me at Llandow then. Or did you like me slapping your leg.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
​Shame you didn't listen to me at Llandow then. ]/quote]

Lol, was only joking mate.
But anyway I dont think you told me anything about not overtaking people in bends at llandow TBH for me to listen to in the first place as it is such a well behaved day in the first place and I tend to adapt my driving to be similar to those around me so Im sure I was on best behavior the whole time, the action days are just a crazy free for all though so I (wrongly i admit!) do tend to join in a bit.

Or did you like me slapping your leg.

I still dream about it TBH

Clio Trophy #343
  182cup & 172 racecar
​Shame you didn't listen to me at Llandow then. ]/quote]

Lol, was only joking mate.
But anyway I dont think you told me anything about not overtaking people in bends at llandow TBH for me to listen to in the first place as it is such a well behaved day in the first place and I tend to adapt my driving to be similar to those around me so Im sure I was on best behavior the whole time, the action days are just a crazy free for all though so I (wrongly i admit!) do tend to join in a bit.

I still dream about it TBH

​I was only joking.

Clio Trophy #343
Plans for next trackday:

Tidy up interior with paint and removal of remaining sound deadening

Investigate suspected steering rack knock and bushes

Replace disks and pads on the front

Replace exhaust mounts on back box :)

Return seat to Fred @btm

These turned up today :)
null-1.png

Clio Trophy #343
New front disks and pads fitted

null-11.png

Old exhaust mounts

null-10.png

Nice new ones fitted

null-9.png

Ready for the next track day I reckon :)

May do some tidying of the inside but nothing that will stop the car from moving :)

Clio Trophy #343
i hope you filed down the back plates on those pads!

Cam racing told me that these fitted straight on, they also sold a version that needed fettling with to fit.

Should we have filled these down anyway? I will have to check with Matt as he did this on his day off yesterday

Thanks for the reply though Fred, very much appreciated :)

Lionel Richie
100% need to file them down or when they get hot, they expand, bind on and destroy the frition material trust me, i sell s**t loads of these (kam will have sent you the 406H pad, it should be the 565H for future reference, both fit just the 565H has a larger pad area and are thicker, same price or a tad cheaper = win win win)

Clio Trophy #343
100% need to file them down or when they get hot, they expand, bind on and destroy the frition material trust me, i sell s**t loads of these (kam will have sent you the 406H pad, it should be the 565H for future reference, both fit just the 565H has a larger pad area and are thicker, same price or a tad cheaper = win win win)

Sorry for the delay, been away for the week with only limited access to wifi :)

Matt said he filed down the top and bottom of the backing plate and made sure they felt free enough in the caliper, is this what you are referring to? If so its the same as in my leon :)

Clio Trophy #343
Only recent progress is around working through all the little rattles and knocking noises we have noticed, the worst being the exhaust and exhaust heat shield...

Or so we thought... Went to see Fred at BTM to return the seat and he took it for a spin, confirming something up with the rear one side is rattling its tits off suspected shagged rear shocks :(

Turned out to be this
null-12.jpg

Still need the rear shocks looking over but hopefully this was causing the noises and shocks are all ok:) not sure of it just worked its way loose or what but its a bit worrying lol

Only other noises now are to do with the steering, suspected bushes or the rack its self, going to see Fred soon to get it in the ramp :)

Clio Trophy #343
Today's few hours consisted of:
Replacing the rear shock bolts due to damaged one from it bring loose
Fit new tax disk and holder
Try to fit resistors to turn off airbag and serv light... FAILED
replace steering rack bushes to cure knock and steering play
Old vs new
null-29.jpg

Old ones were totally soft and s**t
Good news is they fixes the steering sloppiness but we still have a knock :(
Still its perfectly good enough for a track day :)

Clio Trophy #343
its making it quite regular now, but not always when steering as such as on the spot it wont make the clunk, it does it every time you turn right with any force, it seems more like something that is moving under the weight than the actual steering motion.

we are going to go over all the bolts on the front next weekend, check that nothing is moving, may see if i can go see fred to get his expert opinion :)

Clio Trophy #343
In prep for Bedford we are part way through tarting up the inside

null-34.jpg

null-32.jpg

null-35.jpg

null-33.jpg

Its actually a bit further and the sound deadening removed etc but forgot to take pics, not sure about the back yet but its hard to say half done

And today fitted the decat... No pics on vids

http://youtu.be/k-wpV8-ngVA

Had a tiny exhaust blow on this vid which we have pasted up now, measured at 96db on the I phone app which I hear reads over :)