ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Riggers' Track Fiesta ZS...

JDM Dc2
Just bought myself a set OMP subframes off YBracing after seeing some lads ZS in person yesterday and how much better/lower/stronger they are compared to the shi**y fiesta mk3.5 ones, hopefully they'll be here by weekend :D.

only 36hrs to go :evil:

JDM Dc2
cool lets hope it doesnt rain for you

Want to buy my black side skirts, the pic jord did looks really good

yeh as far as i know its meant to be dry morning, rain in the afternoon.

ermmm... will have to try one on the weekend or summat see what it looks like in person.

JDM Dc2
basically...

well first session went fine from what i remember but track was very damp/slippery.

second session managed to get one lap in before there was a red flag and on that lap thats when all of a sudden it started tapping its head off.

3rd session i went out for one lap to see how it drove, power felt exactly the same but tappin was worse as youll hear in the vids, so i did one lap didnt go over 6k, still fine then didnt go over 7k for the rest of the 10min session...

came in checked oil, still on max, so out again for the next 2 sessions when it was totally dry, soo much fun, car handled great tbh...

at the end of that session iirc was going around hizzy's chicane went to power it up the hill and there was nothing, sounded like a major misfire/tapping was worse/possibly bottom end.

RAC guy pulled all 4 wire connecters where they go on the injectors, 2 of them cut the car out, the other 2 nearest to the flywheel didnt, so then he said could possibly be headgasked on that side...

fk knows what next, think f0xys gonna help us do a compression test, then gonna take the engione out over the weekend, take the sump off check the bottom end, if thats fked its bye bye for that one.

Overall not happy at all tbh considering it was all built back up 3k ago and bottom end only had 10k on it!!

Video of the engine :dead:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5GONiYzxIw

video drive-bys -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Wm-M-EUQo&feature=player_embedded

in-car vids to follow.

Mk1 F4R
As you know jamie i just kept having the same problem with those engines 3 fiestas and 5 engines lol, so decided to get the clio new start (the bottom end problem on this one was so i could put 172 in) but saying that ive had 3 172 bottom ends now and as they say 3rd time lucky woop

Session 1

[youtube]vedEDqzwlYU[/youtube]

Session 2

[youtube]LT0kWQspJzo[/youtube]

Session 3

[youtube]41hEX9z5KFU[/youtube]

Session 4 -
5 min 50 sec is where the engine gives up...

[youtube]_xmS6C_5wTI[/youtube]

Mk1 F4R
session 4 was the best one on track id have to say upto were the knocking starts, good job, really am gutted for you after all the money and time you have put into it

Black Clio GT
hopfully nothing too bad, hopfully just shells but hard to tell if its even bottom end cause your exhaust is so loud lol

did aa man say if the oil pick up was working??

it was only a matter of time.

looked like you got most of your moneies worth out of the day though :)

what time did the AA show up?

Nice to meet a few of the lads off here too :)

172 sport
Good to meet you Jamie,real shame about the engine as it was sounding and going so well,hope its a cheap fix for you,and you get it back on track soon:cool:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Aw gutted for you mate, take risks with engine work like that tho surely.

JDM Dc2
f**k SAKE.

+1!!!!!!!!!!

session 4 was the best one on track id have to say upto were the knocking starts, good job, really am gutted for you after all the money and time you have put into it

yeh was going well.

hopfully nothing too bad, hopfully just shells but hard to tell if its even bottom end cause your exhaust is so loud lol

did aa man say if the oil pick up was working??

didnt mention anything to do with oil, he just recons its the headgasket lol

Good to meet you Jamie,real shame about the engine as it was sounding and going so well,hope its a cheap fix for you,and you get it back on track soon:cool:

yeh nice to meet you too mate, hope to be back out soon, was defo the best day for me in them sessions, specially 3 and 4 until it went :dapprove:

Aw gutted for you mate, take risks with engine work like that tho surely.

well hardly risks tbh as these engines are in quite a few kitcars, darrians etc etc and are 'proven' to be solid and reliable lol, just not for me it seems :dapprove:

Thinking now, gonna whip the engine out on the weekend, find a low milage ph2 1600se, stick that in along with my HD rod bolts, baffled sump and the bodies then get it mapped (iirc jon said on a standard 1600 with just twin 45s and exhaust on a kitcar it made summat like 148-149ish so dont see why it wouldnt make around 140ish with my bodies and the fiesta exhaust as no doubt its alot more restruictive than a kitcars). Then sell the SS4 cams, piper valve springs and enlarged exhaust valves if there not bent, if the bottom end is fine ill just keep it a spare cos no doubt itll happen again.

See what happens over the next few days anyways, need to get my tools off f0xy later as i left them in his car so the RAC guy didnt see them lol.

Big thanks for the help yesterday jord (using the vid camera, setting it up for us, all the videos and editing etc and taking my stuff home so the RAC guy didnt see).

Thinking now, gonna whip the engine out on the weekend, find a low milage ph2 1600se, stick that in along with my HD rod bolts, baffled sump and the bodies then get it mapped (iirc jon said on a standard 1600 with just twin 45s and exhaust on a kitcar it made summat like 148-149ish so dont see why it wouldnt make around 140ish with my bodies and the fiesta exhaust as no doubt its alot more restruictive than a kitcars). Then sell the SS4 cams, piper valve springs and enlarged exhaust valves if there not bent, if the bottom end is fine ill just keep it a spare cos no doubt itll happen again.

See what happens over the next few days anyways, need to get my tools off f0xy later as i left them in his car so the RAC guy didnt see them lol.

Big thanks for the help yesterday jord (using the vid camera, setting it up for us, all the videos and editing etc and taking my stuff home so the RAC guy didnt see).

thought you were going to go for the 1.7pooma? would that not be better power?

JDM Dc2
let the games begin...

removed the rocker ocver -

DSC00769.jpg

to find, 2 loose carriers and one snapped cam -

DSC00770.jpg

DSC00771.jpg

DSC00773.jpg

DSC00775.jpg

DSC00776.jpg

then took the filter off and seen this -

DSC00777.jpg

the other 2 were as bling as the other day when i took the bonnet and filter off...

then drained the coolant, disonnected the loom on the bodies, fuel lines, throttle cable etc etc (this pic wasnt talkin after all this was done) -

DSC00781.jpg

I checked the oil again beforeand its still on max so now 99% sure its not the bottom end as it wasnt smoking or anything just knocking and surely the knocking was the cam hitting that carrier above as you can hear towards the end of that engine video, probably a few hours work for jon now that everythings disconnected ready to whip the head off, just need to disconnect the exhaust manifold and the aux. belt now, just hope he will do it alot cheaper than normal consideing as now its looking like its all down the the carrier not being tight enough set to the right torque setting, that probably explains the very loud tapping when on idle as its been working sits way loose ever so slightly probably.

think now im defo not going back to standard engine.

H

Huffski

Love these little cars dont suppose you know a lad called 3cxjay off the fiesta forums do you he has a 1.7 puma in his black fezbomb sure i have heard him mention your name at a meet before

JDM Dc2
Love these little cars dont suppose you know a lad called 3cxjay off the fiesta forums do you he has a 1.7 puma in his black fezbomb sure i have heard him mention your name at a meet before

yeh met him at RSOC national day at donnington back in september.

Wel while im waiting on a message form jon now as the heads pretty much ready to come out thought id fit my new seat subframes -

DSC00785.jpg

then placed the seat on, the rersult -

DSC00786.jpg

DSC00787.jpg

1. the seats sitting far too forward (like 90mm further than it was)
2. the holes dont line up, width wise poerfect, lenght not!

some modifying needed!!

JDM Dc2
some pics from wednesday...

DSC00739-1.jpg

DSC00753-1.jpg

DSC00755-1.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576 and weights 180KB.
025.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576 and weights 220KB.
080.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576 and weights 205KB.
103.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576 and weights 233KB.
112.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576 and weights 225KB.
118.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576 and weights 235KB.
127.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576 and weights 184KB.
150.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x576 and weights 186KB.
151.jpg

shame the day had to end like this :dapprove:

4384835163_28a552abe61.jpg

DSC00768-1.jpg

as jons said he'll pop round this afternoon, yesterday i thought id get as much out the way as possible...

so removed exhaust manifold (millteks such a ball ache!), freed the cambelt cover and just general tidying up making as much room as possible form what i didnt do yesterday.

2 more bits of bad luck...

One the rocker covers 'smashed' inside where the carriers been hitting it -

DSC00788.jpg

and also when i was disconnecting the wire for the alternator it sheared the threda off so now i need a new one of them too (FFS).

heres how the bays looking now, all thats left is to remove the rest of the carreirs and the cams, slide the cambelt off, then just undo the head bolts, shouldnt take too long....

DSC00791.jpg

DSC00790.jpg

JDM Dc2
Jon and Dan came a couple of hours ago, got the head off, valves have made contact with piston 4 slightly but the bottom ends fine, turns over perfectly
smile.gif

So jons took the head away with him to sort where the carrier bolts enlarged one of the holes and the others sheared off, valves seem to be fine.

When they left i just drained the oil out of the block and the oil cooler and replaced the filter with one for my 1.25 which i had hanging around.

DSC00793.jpg

DSC00794.jpg

DSC00795.jpg

so so far i think all that needs replaced is 2 carriers and bolts to go with them and another SS4 cam for the inlet, jon said he'll let me know when the heads sorted then he'll sort a date out with me when they can pop back and re-fit it for me.