ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RIP Trophy 433/500

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Thanks for the kind words/PM's people. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm not going to be able to get anything from it (depending on CAT status) but I'll PM anyone that's interested in the parts the address of the salvage yard as soon as I find out.

I'm just gutted. It's weird, I was only telling a few people at CSS that since I've put it up for sale, I've had a few mental dreams about crashing it/it setting on fire. Feels really surreal now, like deja vous but not.

A lesson to us all.

Slow down people!

Since you were there, fancy being an independant witness? I need one.

I jest. I wasn't doing over the speed limit but in hindsight, took the corner too quickly. Lesson learnt, that's all that needs to be said on the matter. Thanks.

s**t happens.. you can replace a car but carn't replace a life so the main thing is your ok.. any pics of how the trophy is now?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
SNA2004CAR---19_05_1512248a.jpg

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Yeah, it was a good'un. Anyone who's ever driven/seen it could tell you that.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Easily the most well together Clio i've driven and i've had the misfortune of driving many lol

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Are the members on the Trophy Forum crying like they did when Dave joined?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I agree with this 100%.

The only lesson that I'd give out is that no matter how well you think you know a road, you really can't predict what's around a corner. No one can.

Anyway, I'm ok, the other driver's ok and car's can be replaced. Fin.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Cheers Danny.

I've not logged on Kev, not done for a year or so now. I can hear them sharpening their pitchforks though.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Are people really PMing you for parts already? The wheels have barely stopped spinning.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hear this, glad you're OK.

To pick up on your point above, we should all drive to our limit points i.e. how far we can see the road to be clear. It does mean that you have to crawl around corners that otherwise invite pace, but the plus side is that you've always enough time to react.

Hope the ensuing insurance claim goes smoothly for you.

RX7 FD
Are people really PMing you for parts already? The wheels have barely stopped spinning.

Why would they not considering it was mentioned in Lukes first post?

I am sure he would rather know that he could turn this sad day into a semi silver lining by selling the bits to fund the next 4 wheeled dream.

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
Unlucky mate, i had a moment the other day when i always binned mine into the back of another car, speed was not a factor just the case of me being stressed out at work and not concentrating on my driving..

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Emailed mate. Hopefully we can get it sorted out!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Thanks for the email Kev, will text you tonight.

I've been chatting to my Dad about the incident this evening and he's raised a fairly good point. Now, I'm not one to lay blame elsewhere but the reason I hit the rear of someone else was due to a lorry reversing into a driveway; the person I hit was stationary waiting for the lorry to complete the manoeuvre. I went round the blind bend, saw the car, slammed on but it was too late.

Would a lorry driver not have any responsibility whatsoever to warn oncoming traffic that they were creating a potential obstacle? You do normally see passengers/collegues slowing the traffic, and I'd imagine that they'd be obliged to do so. Today, there was no one other than the driver. Not that it matters, I didn't get the company/reg anyway. Just trying to clear my conscience, I guess.

Thanks for your comments/PM's/texts all, means a lot. It's amazing what a silly French piece of metal can do to you emotially, I genuinely feel like I've killed my little red car :dapprove:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Unfortunately I think you've only yourself to blame.

You should always expect the unexpected, and be travelling with enough time to stop.

The corner from the railway crossing at Ants for instance. The railway aren't going to send a man out every time the barriers are down incase someone plows round the corner into the cars waiting there just incase....

Chin up, move on, learn from it ;)

You'll be reet, sailorman.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Unfortunately I think you've only yourself to blame.

You should always expect the unexpected, and be travelling with enough time to stop.

The corner from the railway crossing at Ants for instance. The railway aren't going to send a man out every time the barriers are down incase someone plows round the corner into the cars waiting there just incase....

Chin up, move on, learn from it ;)

You'll be reet, sailorman.

I always worry when I'm waiting on that side tbh.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Cheers Clart. You're welcome to it if I get it back mate.

Yeah Rob, you have a warning that there's train tracks though, don't you? Meh, like I say, I'm not looking for an excuse, just closure for myself really. No scoob for me now, btw.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I see where you're coming from regards the warning from the lorry driver/passenger etc.

Unfortunately all you'll get from the insurance is you were travelling too fast for the visibility you had of the road. As Giraffe says, you should really travel at a speed safe enough to stop, or expect the unexpected.

I nearly totalled my 182 the other day, took a corner on a road I'd been driving on for many years now. Took it at my usual speed, however just around the corner waiting for me was a que of traffic waiting behind a tractor, a spot of opposite lock to correct the squirmy clio's rear end and everything was fine, could've been a lot worse though had I been driving 'briskly' .

I guess in these cases you've got to live and learn, take the insurance hit on the chin and try and get the car back to sell for bits.

Can I ask what actual damage has been caused? I'd imagine after your pay out and buying the car back and selling it for parts, you could probably come out with 7.5k

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Jesus Luke. Glad to hear your okay!

Seems mad because, like you said, you were jesting about it at CSS. Atleast we got 1 picture of old and new car together though.

UR R26

I've been chatting to my Dad about the incident this evening and he's raised a fairly good point. Now, I'm not one to lay blame elsewhere but the reason I hit the rear of someone else was due to a lorry reversing into a driveway; the person I hit was stationary waiting for the lorry to complete the manoeuvre. I went round the blind bend, saw the car, slammed on but it was too late.

Would a lorry driver not have any responsibility whatsoever to warn oncoming traffic that they were creating a potential obstacle? You do normally see passengers/collegues slowing the traffic, and I'd imagine that they'd be obliged to do so. Today, there was no one other than the driver. Not that it matters, I didn't get the company/reg anyway. Just trying to clear my conscience, I guess.

Thanks for your comments/PM's/texts all, means a lot. It's amazing what a silly French piece of metal can do to you emotially, I genuinely feel like I've killed my little red car :dapprove:

You can always jump in my red car for meets and stuff :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Not being judgmental, could easily happy to any of us, no one really drives like they are meant to, especially not car nuts.

But the reality is, no they have no responsibility to inform anyone when they are going to reverse into a gateway etc, its up to you to take EVERY corner you ever go round for your entire as if there is a stationary car just round it.

Just be greatful it wasnt a child stood in the middle of the road having just fallen off their bike or something.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
well thats s**t

on the question of blame, techically you should always be able to stop in the distance that is visible to you

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Yeah. Clutching at straws comes to mind I guess.

Jesus Luke. Glad to hear your okay!

Seems mad because, like you said, you were jesting about it at CSS. Atleast we got 1 picture of old and new car together though.

Cheers mate. Yeah, crazy as we were joking about 'crashing being easier than selling' the other day!

027ca48f-49df-49b4.jpg

:(

Hope your alright dude, feeling properly gutted for you as that Trophy was a goodun!

Indeed mate, one of the best left IMO. Who'd have thought that Dave's shed has outlived it?!