ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RIP Trophy 433/500

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
I've been chatting to my Dad about the incident this evening and he's raised a fairly good point. Now, I'm not one to lay blame elsewhere but the reason I hit the rear of someone else was due to a lorry reversing into a driveway; the person I hit was stationary waiting for the lorry to complete the manoeuvre. I went round the blind bend, saw the car, slammed on but it was too late.

Would a lorry driver not have any responsibility whatsoever to warn oncoming traffic that they were creating a potential obstacle? You do normally see passengers/collegues slowing the traffic, and I'd imagine that they'd be obliged to do so. Today, there was no one other than the driver. Not that it matters, I didn't get the company/reg anyway. Just trying to clear my conscience, I guess.

Thanks for your comments/PM's/texts all, means a lot. It's amazing what a silly French piece of metal can do to you emotially, I genuinely feel like I've killed my little red car :dapprove:

Aren't sure if actually SRS?

Would you warn other road users (that may or may not be driving too fast to safely stop in time, around visually obscured bends) when you reverse onto a drive?

Self own tbh-time to build a bridge imo.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Feel for u mate, but as others have said your ok and nobody was hurt, imagine if it had been a young child round that corner. Cars are replaceable. Hope u get it all sorted with insurance

F*ck! You doughnut. Live and learn the golden rule - stop in the distance you can see...

But anyway, glad you're ok and no one was seriously hurt or worse. What page are the pics of the wreck on? T-cut?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Aren't sure if actually SRS?

Would you warn other road users (that may or may not be driving too fast to safely stop in time, around visually obscured bends) when you reverse onto a drive?

Self own tbh-time to build a bridge imo.

Was just a thought. Strangely enough, when I picked up my valuables yesterday the recovery guy asked me the same thing; if anyone was guiding traffic. But then again he looked like Verbal out of The Usual Suspects, so I doubt he had a law degree. But anyway, you'll be happy to hear that I admitted complete liability at the scene to help speed up the claims process. I'm not an arsehole, nor am I looking for an excuse for crashing, but I genuinely didn't know if lorry drivers/their companies had a legal liability to slow down traffic in the event that they become essentially a blockade around a blind bend.

But, yeah, I'm ok thanks.

Fair play mate. Sounds to me like it was 100% your own fault, but at least you're man enough to accept it.

Again - no one was hurt. Another day, it could have been a lot worse. We learn from these things. I know I did!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Oh it was Roy. It's weird really, when you drive a road for so long you almost become completely oblivious to it. I'm sure we all do it; the kind of road you're driving along that you think 'Jesus, I can't remember the past two minutes'. So as soon as something along there changes, it completely throws you.

I'm feeling extremely lucky that it wasn't a lot worse, believe me.

For sure. I was driving a local cuntry road the other morning at 1.5 bar. Clearly sighted and good forward visibility. Then I came across some road kill being eaten by a 'flock' of birds. Luckily I was well within limits, and managed to slow down enough for it to not be a problem. A few years ago, I would probably have ended up ploughing through them and/or barrel rolling into the nearest hedge.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
All that matters is that you are ok Luke, you pay insurance to worry about liability etc and cars are ten a penny.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Thanks Ian.

Don't think I'll be doing any form of upgrading now Roy, my premiums are going to be a bit steep. I'm trying my best to turn it into a good thing (stay with me, lol), that car was a bit of an obsession; every time I heard a new rattle/creak I'd spend a fortune getting it sorted, likewise with stonechips. Turned into an expensive hobby, for a 7 year old Clio with 90k on the clock.

I'll be doing my best to purchase a shed that I don't care about. Something that's just a car rather than a hobby.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
0NCB now. I'm not paying silly insurance on a clio, lol.

Clio RS200 FF
As has already been said before, cars can be replaced, people cannot. So as long as everybody is ok that's the main thing.

Blame is a hard thing to proportion esp in something like this. I'm guessing the police were called. Did they not comment on the lorry? Their definition states that 'owing to the presence of a motor vehicle a collision occurs where by damage is caused....' at the very least they should have noted its details as it's presence was fundamental to the collision occurring.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Police were there mate, they didn't really speak to me or the other party though. Just guided traffic until the recovery trucks turned up and went on their way. The lorry had long gone by that time though, he drove off pretty much straight away. Didn't leave the cabn AFAIK.

Clio 172
Just on the point of NCB - if you had 4 or more you will lose 3 for a claim with most companies :) I binned off my first 172 and lost 3 years NCB but still had 1, I'm back up to 4 now and insurance is around the 550 mark! First year after was a bit painful though.

RB 182 FF
Thanks Ian.

Don't think I'll be doing any form of upgrading now Roy, my premiums are going to be a bit steep. I'm trying my best to turn it into a good thing (stay with me, lol), that car was a bit of an obsession; every time I heard a new rattle/creak I'd spend a fortune getting it sorted, likewise with stonechips. Turned into an expensive hobby, for a 7 year old Clio with 90k on the clock.

I'll be doing my best to purchase a shed that I don't care about. Something that's just a car rather than a hobby.

Sorry to hear this mate. I can guarantee this philosophy won't last long, I've been there and bought a shed and you'll enjoy the feeling of not caring for 6 months then the itch for another minter will have to be scratched.... :D

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Sorry to hear this mate. I can guarantee this philosophy won't last long, I've been there and bought a shed and you'll enjoy the feeling of not caring for 6 months then the itch for another minter will have to be scratched.... :D

+1

It simply doesnt work for a car nut ;)

Just on the point of NCB - if you had 4 or more you will lose 3 for a claim with most companies :) I binned off my first 172 and lost 3 years NCB but still had 1, I'm back up to 4 now and insurance is around the 550 mark! First year after was a bit painful though.

You lose 2 and then the year you are currently working on (just to clear it up for people who think you may lose 3 and then the current year :) )

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Thanks all.

Mike/Dave, I'm sure I'll be in touch guys, appreciated. :)

I had a lovely letter this morning regarding fee's for picking up the vehicle and storing it. Bugger.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The insurance company pay that mate, that's what insurance is for. The garage who picked the car up should have paid the fees and reclaimed from the insurance not you.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member

So true I have done this and cant wait to get a minter again now lol.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
The insurance company pay that mate, that's what insurance is for. The garage who picked the car up should have paid the fees and reclaimed from the insurance not you.

That's what I was banking on, but I though that ULR will only cover the person not at fault?

I've never worked in claims, literally have no idea how any of it works :eek:

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
That's what I was banking on, but I though that ULR will only cover the person not at fault?

I've never worked in claims, literally have no idea how any of it works :eek:

Mine was similar to your accident and my insurance covered everything mate.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Good to hear Adam, I'm going to be giving them a call at lunch.

I'm fine thanks JD, just a sore neck and that's it. Lucky.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Just thought I'd give you all a little update, I've been offered £2300. No thankyou.

Very impressed with Admiral otherwise though, they've been spot on.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Jesus that's a low offer, should be fairly simple to prove its value and get a better offer though surely?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Well, £2800 really minus my excess. Red Clio with 90k init.

This is way too stressful. I've told them that I want at least £4k. Fun fun fun. :dapprove: