ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rob's F4R'd Dynamique Track Car

Sunflower Ph1 172
Re: 1.2 Track car Conversion

Me and Adam have had a few days off from it, Robs soundtrack of - 'Cant do it' - is still ringing fresh in our ears. You CAN do it. Lol.

Waterboy_2.jpg

Evo 8 MR

Nice one Rob I was considering this when I had my 1.4 but decided to get the cup in the end as I've not got the garage space and all the tools needed but great work so far, will be good to see it once it's done.

JDM Dc2

haha, looking good so far got quite alot done since i was last down!

best job has to be the removel of the sound deadening inside the car of course :p

wish i lived closer to lend a hand more often!

BMW E36 328

Haha lol, 5 mins of a job, i still have to wipe all the brown stuff off that was left behind so you only did half a jobn lol ;)

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184

amazing progress, i was only chatting to jord a few weeks ago about this and when you were going to start, and now your nearly done. puts mine and adams time scale to shame:eek:

Cool project.

Aren't you going to need a pressure limiter in the lines to the rear brakes otherwise it'll swap ends whenever you step on the brakes? I'm sure the cups use a valve on the rear beam.

clio 1.8 8v

good work man! i wish i knew enough to start a wee project like that! takes a lot of dedication good work bud!!!

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182

Cool project.

Aren't you going to need a pressure limiter in the lines to the rear brakes otherwise it'll swap ends whenever you step on the brakes? I'm sure the cups use a valve on the rear beam.

Im pretty sure they know what there doing considering the two lads who are helping have done all this already and jords a perfectionist.

I was impressed tonight bud when i came round, btw kids he doesnt have as much space as you think lol about a foot each side of the car and about 5ft infornt n behind it. Anyway Rob dont forget im happy to help when ever me-lado

Cool project.

Nothing extra on the rear beam on a Cup for bias, its in the master cylinder as far as I know/going from people Ive spoken to. I run a 172 cup master cylinder on a modified 172 servo on my Mk1 with direct lines to the back and its spot on :)

Lionel Richie

^wrong youth, cups have a bias valve

if you run without one you will die! (hence you spinning ALL the time ;))

copper grease on the pads, TUT!

Nothing extra on the rear beam on a Cup for bias, its in the master cylinder as far as I know/going from people Ive spoken to. I run a 172 cup master cylinder on a modified 172 servo on my Mk1 with direct lines to the back and its spot on :)

He's referring to the fixed load valve that the MOT stations often piss about with - you should have one of those puppies otherwise you will have massive rear braking effort if you are running the lines straight out of the master cylinder to the rear calipers!

Last edited:

Yeah I know hes on about a load valve, but I cant say ive ever seen one on a cup. Never seen anything located towards the back, where abouts is it?

Funnily enough Fred since fitting it last winter I hadn't spun in 2010, explain that one ;) Thinking about it the only off ive had this year was where the erm.... fronts locked up and I went into the gravel. The fronts lock up way way way before the rears, I've never had an issue - bear in mind I've removed the shitty rear beam bias valve on the Mk1 too, so its direct.

Last edited:
  BMW E36 328

I also thought that the 172 cups just go straight from the master cylinder to the callipers?

Well abit of an update, Agency Transmissions have just rang me back as i sent the gearbox off to get rebuilt but its going to cost way too much to get it fixed as it needs loads of work doing to it......... just another setback lol...

Well, according to the person it originally belonged to on here in the first place it was 'rebuilt' not long ago, but reverse wasn't working. Although that hardly explains f*cked syncros and components on lots of the gears!

BMW E36 328

Just got off the phone again with agency transmissions and there is a huge list wrong with the box lol....

• 3rd and 4th selector plates are broke
  • 3rd and 4th hubs are broke
  • 3rd and 4th gears are BADLY worn
  • syncro rings are all badly worn
  • 3rd and 4th syncro hubs are broken
  • 1st and 2nd speed syncro rings are broke
  • All gear set id caped in oil that has actually set hard
  • Selector forks are all bent
  • Selector shaft is unusable
  • And it req's all new seals, bearings and gaskets
And this gearbox was app rebuilt about 6 months ago..... joke

welshname

ClioSport Club Member

Im pretty sure they know what there doing considering the two lads who are helping have done all this already and jords a perfectionist.

I was impressed tonight bud when i came round, btw kids he doesnt have as much space as you think lol about a foot each side of the car and about 5ft infornt n behind it. Anyway Rob dont forget im happy to help when ever me-lado

get mike to detail it when done ;) saw the last thread on his dads car.

and this is lacking turini's, cup spoiler etc etc etc (joke obviously)

340i

Just got off the phone again with agency transmissions and there is a huge list wrong with the box lol....

• 3rd and 4th selector plates are broke
  • 3rd and 4th hubs are broke
  • 3rd and 4th gears are BADLY worn
  • syncro rings are all badly worn
  • 3rd and 4th syncro hubs are broken
  • 1st and 2nd speed syncro rings are broke
  • All gear set id caped in oil that has actually set hard
  • Selector forks are all bent
  • Selector shaft is unusable
  • And it req's all new seals, bearings and gaskets
And this gearbox was app rebuilt about 6 months ago..... joke

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK.... I would be asking from a refund who ever you purchased that from?

Name and shame ;)

Was purchased from a lad we know on here who had originally bought it off someone else on here.

He was told it had been rebuilt etc, so had it fitted to his car. Only to find reverse didn't work so had it taken back out. Don't think he got as far as driving it properly so wouldn't know about the other gears. Obviously Rob knew reverse did not work but Agency said it would be easy to fix if that was the case, so went for it and sent it off to find this...

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member

Reverse not selecting is usually a bent selector arm, easyish fix as I've just fixed my spare box with parts from agency, shitter about the rest of it tho.

BMW E36 328

The whole box is fooked, have posted up in the wanted section for another box so with a bit of luck someone will help me out... then can crack on with the conversion

BMW E36 328

Cheers

Ive decided im going to get the gearbox rebuilt with agency as then it will virtually be a brand new box as nearly all of the parts need to be replaced, even some of the gears themselves lol... costly but well worth it.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member

if youre going to do it, may aswell do it right first time. no doubt if you got a different box you would have problems with it anyway

Very weird how mine works fine then... I guess he will have to suck it and see.

Possibly as you are used to it, however by the sounds of it have you 50/50 brake balance at the moment which I wouldn't fancy driving with! What's your mid bend braking character like? Do you ever trail brake into bends - how does it behave?

IIRC it would a similar effect achieved by pulling out the ABS fuse suggested many years ago in PFC - bloody dangerous!!!!

Could well be used to it, whenever it locks up it just seems to be the fronts too. Although another thought the rear calipers could be dodgy, they are original after all - still, I get plenty of brake dust on the back. Never really trail brake to be honest, so wouldn't know about that!

BMW E36 328

Cheers matt, hope so, sorted a few bits out tonight and should have the gearbox back friday

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182

What a shitter about the box! I say we bury the gearbox in Mr its been rebuilts arse!