ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rob's Supercharged Trophy

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Sorry Rob didn't get a notification you had replied. The phase one has been spot on this year so far. It's off to the Surrey rolling road day this weeked to see how the engine is doing since a couple of changes. I'll see if I can get there on the 21st..I've never been round thruxton even thou it is the nearest track! Who have you booked it with ?

Renault Clio 172 Cup
It looks like the coolant tank that I have in mine and I got it from AH Fabrication. Not cheap though!

20141128_teaser03.jpg

20141128_teaser04.jpg

Ok thanks i'll have a look

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Real nice Trophy mate

Cheers mate! :blush:

Sorry Rob didn't get a notification you had replied. The phase one has been spot on this year so far. It's off to the Surrey rolling road day this weeked to see how the engine is doing since a couple of changes. I'll see if I can get there on the 21st..I've never been round thruxton even thou it is the nearest track! Who have you booked it with ?

No worries bud. I've booked it through Motorsport Events: https://www.motorsport-events.com/products/21-october-2016-thruxton-track-day

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Credit where credits due!
Have you done Thruxton before? I've heard its a real fast circuit.
Yes mate,

just the once mind, but I was there last September and it's brilliant track!

As you mentioned it's a very fast circuit. Going flat out through 'church' is a lot of fun!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Clio 197 BMW Msport
Once you get a taste of 'proper' circuits, airfields and non 'race' circuits just won't cut the mustard! lol

I've done a lot of the race circuits throughout the country like Donnington, Mallory, Combe, Cadwell etc and a load of Hillclimb venues too. I'm currently trying to get through loads of other ones to tick them off the list. I fancy Spa next year.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I've done a lot of the race circuits throughout the country like Donnington, Mallory, Combe, Cadwell etc and a load of Hillclimb venues too. I'm currently trying to get through loads of other ones to tick them off the list. I fancy Spa next year.
Sounds familiar. I have donnington oulton and spa on my to do list. Silverstone last year was a great experience.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Headlamp update:

I've wanted a pair of xenon headlamps for a while now. I lucked out and picked up a bargain pair from @Budgie for £40! Cheers mate! [emoji4]

Admittedly they needed some TLC...

received_10157501243430029.jpeg
received_10157501243230029.jpeg

After a good session with one of 3M's headlight restoration kit's plus some other products I had kicking about I'm pleased with the finished result.

IMAG0564.jpg
IMAG0565.jpg
IMAG0566.jpg

Initially I thought they had the grey inserts, but after the cloudiness had gone it turns out they're the darker almost black inserts. Which has worked out for the better IMO as its goes really well with the red!

Before fitting I renewed the xenon bulbs with these:

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/D2S-Philips-WhiteVision-35W-6000K-Xenon-HID-Bulb.html

They say they have a blue hint, but to my eye they are just a pure white light which is what I was after.

The indicator bulbs were renewed with the obligatory 'Silver Visions' and my full beams with a pair of 'Osram Nightbreakers' I lastly changed the dingy sidelight bulbs with these also from Osram:

IMAG0562.jpg

Here's the finished result with side and dipped beams on.

IMAG0563.jpg

One happy chappy! [emoji1]

Just looking forward to my next track day at Thruxton on the 21st!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers bud!

Haha really!? 😂

What did we do? I'm intrigued... :wink:
I dreamt that you had your car back from mapping and it made around 363bhp or around that (I woke up and was two seconds from facebooking you asking if it was real or a dream?!). Some other things happened too but it was a while back

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
I dreamt that you had your car back from mapping and it made around 363bhp or around that (I woke up and was two seconds from facebooking you asking if it was real or a dream?!). Some other things happened too but it was a while back

Jesus! I wish it was true! 😂

That certainly would be a handful out on track!

I am still planning to go up and see Chris at EFI Parts, probably beginning of next year now. I know he's good at his job, but I doubt he could coax that from my poor engine! Not without it turning into a fireball moments later. :weary:

Might just have to source another engine, and forge it... :wink:

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good mate. I think there are a few Trophy owners on the lookout for Xenons with the black inserts... myself included! :)
Cheers Andy!

Yeah it certainly makes a nice little upgrade. I just put up a wanted thread on here. As there's plenty about, but they're just a risky item to post!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Black xenons are much better than grey ones. They just look more aggressive.

Definitely a good buy, especially at that price.

Now you've cleaned them up, is the output much better than the originals? From a looks point of view, they look much better.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Black xenons are much better than grey ones. They just look more aggressive.

Definitely a good buy, especially at that price.

Now you've cleaned them up, is the output much better than the originals? From a looks point of view, they look much better.

Yeah I agree mate. I lucked out on the price even if I had to put in some effort to bring them back up!

Originally I wanted the grey inserts to match what I had fitted originally, but now I've seen the difference I'm really glad I've got these instead!

As for xenon performance over the original halogen, in all honesty there's not a huge difference in night time visibility. The xenon gives a much more crisper light output, but the osram nightbreakers I had did a bloody good job!

Xenon's just look purdy! [emoji6]
Such as an awesome car!
Cheers mate, it's coming along nicely! [emoji4]
I recall when me Rob, Kris and Mike came home down dark lanes quite some time ago the 2 trophy owners were very Jel of our HIDs!!
Xenon envy... It's a tragic problem. [emoji30]

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Lol xenon envy, bloody paupers!
Car looks much better with them though, but the white light at the front won't match the flame yellow at the back!

Cheers bud I'm really pleased with them, and glad I finally got round to changing the headlamps!

As for the colour not matching... It's an issue I will just have to deal with! :wink:

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Update:

Nothing major just some little addition's!

When we fitted the supercharger this also removes the air-con compressor which makes the 'AC' button on my heater controls redundant, which annoyed me!

So I replaced this with a unit from a non AC Clio. On top of that it's in mint condition compared to my old unit!

9830b7e9e65da19cfa74ddc12b55764f.jpg

(sorry no before picture as I replaced this a while ago)

Next on the list was my traction control button panel...

Since fitting an OMP steering wheel this has removed my cruise control function, and my replacement xenon headlamps have also removed the need to adjust the beam height from this panel.

02e64c2b4e3cbf3cb6259ebc10cbb080.jpg

So I've replaced the panel with a unit from an older 172 which only has the traction control button, and the instrument cluster dimmer dial.

2a9023c8c797291975e51b9b4365ea6a.jpg

Looks much neater IMO, and again removes redundant buttons!

Another bonus is that I intend to install water methanol kit next year, and the extra space on this panel will allow me to neatly fit the relevant switch etc into that space.

Lastly when I fitted my OMP steering wheel I decided to also remove my audio control stalk as yet again it was redundant due to the fact I've fitted an Alpine headunit, with no intention of using it.

I bodged the hole that was left with all matching piece of rubber...

2ef9c25e8f57135ce8f6d5ed5cac3cef.jpg

Until recently discovered you can get blanking plate from Renault to tidy it up properly!

5003e0c1f8e05f8812b59a72ab79c02a.jpg

7a4568471c486364a17ee321ae5dff45.jpg

Much better. [emoji4]

My next update will be from my track day at Thruxton on Friday, so hopefully I'll get some decent GoPro footage, and photos!

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Completely forgot to mention my brakes! 😂

After my wanted thread I got a message from @GazTwo who had a pair of used Hispec 4 pot calipers a deal was made, and I received them end of last week.

Admitedly they need some TLC but that doesen't really bother me. (pics to follow)

Currently I have them both stripped down, and they require a new seal kit which includes the dust boots, and retaining clip. I also needs a new pair of braided hoses as my Goodridge ones won't work unfortuntely.

I'm also going to get a brand new set of bolts, brake pad pins, and bleed nipples. One of the little f*****s has seized and snapped inside the housing so hopefully that will be removed sucessfully soon! :sweat:

All eight of the pistons are reusuable though with no scoring to the sides which is a bonus.

As for the calipers themselves I'm still undecided on how to clean them up without causing any damage or excess wear, Or what final finish or colour to go for.
I've phoned around and found a company that will 'Vapour Blast' them or me £25 cash in hand, and I have found another company that will anodize them any colour I want for £40 again cash in hand, which I think is bloody reasonable!

My other option is to rope in my old mate @loggyboy and 'borrow' his powder coater, but I'm worried about wether the thickness of the powder coat & masking issues will cause me future problems.

At the moment I'm swaying towards getting them Anodized, as that's how they originally leave Hispec.

As for a colour however I'm still undecided. Black is the safe option, but what do you guys think?

Last edited: