ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rooby Clio 172

Started cleaning things and painting things. Lovely when a project gets to this stage!

Type R DCCD gearbox steam cleaned,

scaled.php

R180 rear diff and shafts cleaned ready for paint
scaled.php

It's been a few weeks, lots of fiddly stuff going on which is not too exciting, and not worth photographing!
However, I've made some headway with more fitting and welding. Today I have cut and installed the boot floor, one of those jobs which just kept getting put to one side. Made a cardboard template, cut out some 22g steel, tacked it on place, then seam welded it all the way round.

20121003141929.jpg

I have been trying to find someone who can both bend and roll flanges on aluminium pipe for the rear mounted radiator, but without success.
So to comply with MSA Regulations regarding fluids passing through the passenger compartment, I have installed a length of steel electrical trunking down the passengers side, in which I can put the water pipes leading to the rear mounted radiator. As this will be sealed, I can use straight pipes with silicon hoses for the bends.

20121003163746.jpg

Once the cover is fitted, it should be a nice neat solution. I will probably run the fuel and brake lines in here too.

I have also sourced a new wiper motor and linkage, as the front suspension roll cage pick ups are where the Subaru wiper motor should be. Decided on a single, centre wiper, from the scrap yard next door, from a Citroen C15 van. Will post up some pictures once it is mounted on the scuttle.

Renault Clio 172
Epic doesn't even begin to describe this build.

Hats off to you mate this is truely jaw dropping!

:cheers:

Thanks guys, it's starting to get a little more exciting now, as it gets ever closer to being ready for paint.

One of the things I really want to make sure of, is to be certain I haven't missed the smallest bracket, or hole, before the shell is painted. It would be gutting to have to drill even a single hole after it's painted!!!!!!

Today I've been fabricating some brackets for the Dzus Fasteners which will hold the front wings and bumper onto the car. Below you can see the one mounted at the front of the sill extension, to hold the bottom of the front wing.

edit_preview.php

I've decided to use Panex fasteners, much more subtle than the original Dzus ones. Looks really neat!

20121004152520.jpg

Nice pic from today's efforts. Front wings, and bumper properlt fixed on, plus aerocatches actually securing the bonnet on. So different from bits of GRP draped over the shell!

20121010165611.jpg

Attachments

• 20121010165611.jpg
    20121010165611.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Oh, great to hear it's going to be road legal!

By the way, I'll have plenty more time to talk at hillclimbs now (had enough of looking after that westy), still feel a bit rude for having to run off last time I saw you.

Clio RS200
Absolutely amazing build! Looks fantastic. When it comes to making it road legal, do you have to declare how much is used from what car, 70% Subaru 30% Renault for example Would it now be considered a kit car and put on a Q plate or even a 62/13 plate (depending on when its finished......)

Imagine It will have to go through IVA to be road legal as the chassis is so heavily modified.

Wont get a new reg as not all new parts but as the age of the donors is identifiable should get an age related plate.

Imagine It will have to go through IVA to be road legal as the chassis is so heavily modified.

Wont get a new reg as not all new parts but as the age of the donors is identifiable should get an age related plate.

That's my take on it, too. Will probably end up as a Q plate, as the Clio is 2000, and the Impreza was 96

Clio RS200
Ok I was bored so had a look. Will retain the original reg if chassis, suspension, axles, trans, steering and engine stay the same..............erm lol. Not that it matters what the Reg will be marked as...you've got the best looking Subaru and essentially the fastest Clio :)

More fabrication work going on. Mounted the fans on the radiator, and fixed the top mountings in place.
20121012161441.jpg

Looking like it's meant to fit there now. Or, as someone said on facebook, giant sub looking good!
edit_preview.php

Front lights roughly in place. Looking a bit like a car at last!

edit_preview.php

Some more progress to report. Been making fittings to support the headlights, which are mounted on the front subframe.

20121012162121.jpg

Looks quite amusing with the front panels off!

20121024151605.jpg

Very pleased with the mesh I have fitted to the tailgate. Managed to get the contours nicely.

20121030124805.jpg

Finally for now, have been finalising the positions of the battery, low pressure fuel pump and battery in the boot.

20121030153907.jpg

A couple more pictures of new shiny bits!
OBP bias pedal box temporarily shoved into place

20121105160016.jpg

Plus a nice sexy cover to hide it all away (protective film still in place, shiny aluminium underneath)

20121105160148.jpg

This thread has given me a crazy for my next project once the kits had its day.

Just need Fred to teach me to weld...

More shiny bits arriving on a daily basis now. Brake and clutch reservoirs from OBP, complete with a very sexy ready made bracket at a price which I could not refuse. Couldn't really make on for that price.

20121119162030.jpg

As you can see, I have been welding up all the redundant holes in the bulkhead, required by MSA regulations. Got so carried away I even managed to weld up a hole I had previously drilled to attach the new wiper motor and linkage. Doh!!!!!!

Also got the removable steering wheel boss, which is going to need some drilling and turning on a lathe to weld onto the end of the Subaru steering column.

20121119162129.jpg

About to start the dummy build now, so will be dropping in the engine and box again to makes sure the fitment and routing of things like the swirl pot, fuel pump and filter, plus the water hoses will all work. More photos to follow soon.

Right, stand by for a veritable photo fest from today's antics. We have a journalist from a kit car mag arriving tomorrow, so today has seen a flurry of activity to get the dummy build to a point where he can take lots of photos.

20121120134302.jpg

20121120141715.jpg

Apologies that the rear arches aren't bolted down to the rear bumper yet, but I'm loving the phat ass. My mate says it's better than J Lo's!

20121120141208.jpg

General view of the workshop, Cliopreza, Bruce the Subaru Gravel Express van project, and in front of the Clio is a replica RS200 with a 550BHP Impreza motor and 6 speed box, mid build.
20121120141409.jpg

Clio hiding in front of the other project in at the moment, Hawk Stratos replica.
20121120141432.jpg
20121120141740.jpg