ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rota??? Dodgy wheel thread....

I've heard rumours about there quality but I didn't think they were that bad? I thought it was the copies like RAVS etc that were dodgy?

Stolen from another forum :eek:

Car is a EK4 turbo with 500hp and Toyo R888 tires on Nordschleife btw.

Rota Sub zero after 3 rounds north loop on a EK4 turbo. The two rims on the front axle, by the arising forces, so strongly deformation that them at the brake caliper to have touched and by the drive power in driving direction were bent.

Front axle (deformation)
smvvu3p6.png

Rear axle (intact)
pudbxi2v.png

Front axle (brake caliper traces marked)
5i2hpoph.png

Rear axle (intact)
8y6d3lw3.png

VA
ct5dtcvq.png

Ha
7sot9weg.png

Curvature of the rim outward
lhz3zrxo.png

gg8v9ca2.png

Intact rim
hbgxlp2i.png

ivt6l2b4.png

Comparison of both rims
gsfnx3ia.png

This should be a warning at owners of Rota rims. Apparently the cheap quality of these rims, does not permit a racing course employment with strongly motorized vehicles.
Check also this link for another dodgy alloy.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/bent-my-rota-slipstream-wheels-57393/index2.html

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i have said it over and over... its like buying an xs power turbo... they are made of cheese lol...

xspower.jpg
superglued together!

and i made pleanty of posts about failed rotas

rotamotivation.jpg

23.jpg

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I like rota's tbh

Audi RS4 wheels buckled and split years ago.

If you complain you will get some more

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I have used Rotas quite a few times now. Never had any issues myself but i guess it depends on the design. One set was being run and still being run on a 600bhp Evo.

ITB'd MK1
erm, hate to state the obvious but.....BRAKE CALIPER HITTING SPOKE = DEFORMED SPOKE. Can't blame it on the wheel if they're been fitted over calipers they dont clear. Front and rear are clearly different ofset and dish design

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
erm, hate to state the obvious but.....BRAKE CALIPER HITTING SPOKE = DEFORMED SPOKE. Can't blame it on the wheel if they're been fitted over calipers they dont clear. Front and rear are clearly different ofset and dish design

danny... the wheels started off fine... looks like heat and forces on the wheel has actually deformed them that much! it they were fine and didnt catch at all then he drove the ring and that happened they deformed like that!! the caliper didnt catch to begin with... the deformation then made them catch!

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
500bhp i would want really strong alloys, they look silly light and weak tbh Why would you want alloys with spokes that thin with all that power, cornering forces etc. luvky to be alive

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
But people must be thick not to notice there caliper's rubbing on there wheels??

if u read the post to begin with they werent catching.... after driving hard on them putting heat and forces in to them, they then deformed and twisted which then caused the calipers to catch....

Clio II phase B Dynamique
if u read the post to begin with they werent catching.... after driving hard on them putting heat and forces in to them, they then deformed and twisted which then caused the calipers to catch....

yes but...ok it's a civic turbo (much horsepower and torque @ wheels) ok the upgraded brake system have touched them...ok too much heat...but...I have never seen such a thing even on a bad brand rims! at max the paint removed or making bubbles!!!

RS RIP
maybe VERY little clearance caliper to rim ; brakes maybe got VERY hot and warmed up the rim a bit on standing still.. Good formula to deform the rims on very next acceleration.

A lot of Suby drivers go for Rotas so they're not that bad for power. They're defo NOT quality wheels though.

Compare the Ray's prices to the Rota copy of them . I was looking into some lightweight wheels and the Rays were around 1000 pounds ; just the rims!!

When having a nice highpower car you should get the wheels to match ; $$$