ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rubbing tyres on arches over potholes ....safe to drive on the motorway ?

Golf TDI
As above really, any pot holes / bumps in the road and the top of my tyres rub on the wings . 16 " Wheels are fitted and it is lowered a hell of a lot . Got a journey to england on the weekend and im wondering if i hit a bump / pothole in the road a 80 mph on the mway . what problems will this cause if any ? blowout ? swerving ? etc . Looking for some reassurance or info on the dangers if any . Hopefull i can have some quick replies . Please dont say raise it up as this aint an option :rasp: i just wont take it on the motorways lol :dead:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I wouldn't bother. Imagine you hit a big bump and had a blowout at 70mph???

Car doesn't really sound safe for the road tbh.

Clio DCi 100
Yeah defo just get it taken up a bit - motorways aint the only place u gonna be drivin fast & where's the fun in that :p

Golf TDI
how does everyone else manage ? your telling me that say rages car or any other of these low cars dont have problems like this ? im looking to see if anyone else has problems and weather they are still alive to tell me !! dont want to raise it as

A ) iv had enough now tbqfh of f**king about with the height
b) v now got it perfect how i want it
c) i cant fit a jack under it
d) its pissing it down

got the other halfs dad not happy me driving about the country in it . thinks it unsafe ! .

Golf TDI
theyre off mate. otherwise i wouldnt be as low as it is now . tbh its only occasional bumps in the road you get the outer edge of the tyre catching the wings . wheres all you people with real low cars hey ?

BMW E92/Audi S3
how does everyone else manage ? your telling me that say rages car or any other of these low cars dont have problems like this ? im looking to see if anyone else has problems and weather they are still alive to tell me !! dont want to raise it as

d) its pissing it down

got the other halfs dad not happy me driving about the country in it . thinks it unsafe ! .

i feel you brother..

Golf TDI

d) its pissing it down

i feel you brother..

:( blocks of wood are the way forward . thing is there is so little between the wing and top of the tyre that bumps seem to grind it slighty . but only big bumps and only if your kaning it . 25 mph its fine lol iv seen some seriously low cars on here . hope them people come along with their stories :dapprove:

Ph1 172 + Combo van
cant you take the archliners off and cut off the inner lip off the arch? a pic would help as its hard to imagine how much poke you have going on really.

Golf TDI
started cutting off the inner lip this evening , when the other halfs father walked out asking me how come i need to do this lol his point was that so far since going this low iv done about 50 miles but on friday im meant to be driving over the country with them over 300 miles ... so big potholes in the motorway could be ....

Golf TDI
^^ arches have been rolled on the rear . more room now on the rear , but the front its all plastic being renault :( ! plastic bumper , wings etc . im thinking junior hacksaw ! lol

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
id say the motorway is the safest place for your car,
its where the roads are the smoothest by far,
and there are no sharp corners,
jst take it easy and stay on the ball,
as for the speed aspect, im sure you drive at similar speeds on other PRIVATE TEST TRACKS where the road is in a similar condition to that of you standard 30mph road lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
But he's done 50 miles so far with it this low so it's not really been properly tested yet, and is going to undertake a journey of 300 miles, all at a much higher average speed on a motorway.

If there's even the slightest possibility that one of my tyres might be rubbing yet I took it on the motorway, I'd be a f***in' idiot and quite frankly would deserve to have a massive blow-out. I just hope that if that did happen I'd be the only one pirouetting into the central barrier and not collecting a few other unsuspecting motorists on my way.

He's right.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
It ain't ever going to pass a MOT like it, so I'd just raise it.

It just seem so silly to have a car you can't actually use safely.

I wouldn't drive that on the motorway like that.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Never understood the point of all this slamming stuff, this just proves how pointless it is. Why not get the suspension set up for handling so you can enjoy driving it rather than admiring the way it looks. Beached on top of a speed bump.

1.6 focus zetec....
My mates made it from england to wales in his slammed corsa with the front wheels rubbing if thats any help??

Golf TDI
some quickly took pics ....

rear ( been rolled so no problems )
P8210521.jpg

front ( rubbing over big potholes )
P8210519.jpg

P8210518.jpg

and a few others

P8210520.jpg

not that low ^^^ imho at the front .

P8210522.jpg

could adjusting the camber more inwards not fix this ?

lol my cars lower on the front and it doesnt rub , how is yours?

also i want my rear like yours :( lol swap rear springs please! ive got too much of a nose dive but my coilies dont go any lower

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
its piss easy to raise the front, if you start cutting things your going to leave a sharp endge, if it catches it will just cut the tyre.

its higher than mine, so im thinking your camber / tracking is way out. you need it setting up properly by a garage. this should always be done with coiloovers

Titanium 182
If your car is "show car" low then you can't expect it to be practical.

Its a compromise and i would personally rather have a car than an ornament.

Golf TDI
im not sure what et they are . halfords got them in for me . So we are saying after ebing tracked , camber etc the front will be able to go lower ?