ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rubbing tyres on arches over potholes ....safe to drive on the motorway ?

Golf TDI
^^ yes i know , im starting to understand this now . tbh i might just take the hit and take it to one of the big names . just wondering who is best ? coilover setup ?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
kieran - go to a place what sells tyres. my local tyre place traked my car and sorted out my camber about 2 week ago for twenty quid and it only takes 10 minits..

dont go to a named place though i was quoted like 50 quid from quick fail

Golf TDI
quick fit wouldnt even do my friends cars camber , tracking etc the other day . said they wouldnt touch a cr thats lowered . ?

Golf TDI
i started this thread as i was wondering do other people that have real low cars have this problem and if they do are they still alive after going on the motorway !! do you have this problem ?? do you have any useful info to tell me ?? do you even have a f**king clue ?? if not then f**k off and spam another thread .

Golf TDI
after all is this not what forums are for ? to seek bloody advice seen as im so apparent clueless ..

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
just take it to a decent tyre place (not all do camber so make sure they do)

see where you stnad then

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
i am interested to know whether all this lowering stuff improves the handling ?

i can have a guess at no........

your problem is easy to solve.

remove all dampers and replace with solid bars. this will remove all movement of suspension and stop the body rolling. you may need a new spine but then if you drive a car in its current state you will need when you have a blow out on the motorway and roll over the central reservation into some poor sod coming the other way ! but then you will probably walk away without a scratch !

get it fixed properly..........................

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
you will need one that does it with lasers not guages as the guages wont fit, as they go round the tyres

keiran what you rubbing on?what have you done bar remove the wheel arch liners?have you touched the metal bracket holding the bumper,a lot of people bend this,i havent bothered,didnt see the need to as mine only slightly rubs once in a blue moon,if your gonna hit a pot hole that'd be big enough to cause you to have a blow out itll happen from the hole not from the wheel hitting the arch.

for budgied why is he an idiot?perhaps you could give some better advice

keiran take it to a small company as said above that do laser tracking as any other just wont work as they cant fit it ontop of your wheel.
dont forget that you are gonna have massive tyre wear on the shoulders of your tyres due to your tracking and camber being out now too!
as i said earlier though just make sure you have a keen eye for pot holes and look that bit further ahead to plan what action you can take to avoid them

mgoode that is the most ridiculous idea ever. you need suspension travel in order to reduce bumpsteering or youll just skip all over the shop.however standard setups generally,eg non sport clios have a lot of travel but there is a fine line as to what is best.do you see f1 cars with no suspension?

Last edited:
C

clvs2222

phelps and williams in morriston are the place to go mate. awsome guys with the right equipment. give them a ring.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
you should be able to get it fixed. my dad has a garage and the guy he uses to do tracking and suspension adjustments just comes round in a van with the lasers on each wheel then little plates under the front wheels and does the tracking. he also does camber and everything else. takes him about 20mins.

Golf TDI
right update ...took the car on the way to work to a local tyre / camber / tracking garage and they put it up on ramps . first of all they noticed that the drivers side tyre was very so slightly scimming the springs on the coil strut . not rubbing but skimming over it . also on the back even though the arches have been rolled where the car meets the bumper there is slight contact on the edge of the wheel and finally he mentioned the front being just too low as the trye is so close to the arch , yet people on here are alot lower at the front ?. so all in all he said there was no point in adjusting camber ,, tracking etc as the car will need to be raised he said to be safe . so i will only have to go and pay again to get it done he said .

C

clvs2222

pop down to see them mate. they are just on the left of the 2nd round about on the swansea by-pass. the round about after the Mcdonalds one.

They do tyres, exhuasts and suspension. highly recommened.

RS RIP
Please feel along the front arches (i know they're removed but..) you will feel the BUMPERBRACKET mentioned 3 posts ago. This is the only dangerous one!!
I have the same problem. Fred (Yozza) will know what todo about this bracket.

RS RIP
i know which one you mean . so pm fred ?

i hope his mailbox aint full !? Yeah trie him.. i remember he had a sollution for the bumperbracket.

I just dug up your thread with the pics of your car... your asking for it haha
very lowwww

the front bumper? the bracket is like a triangle yeah? i used a hacksaw and cut it down to the smallest shape possible, then never had any problems

he dosent, the coilovers have adjustable camber, the holes are slotted. They were on my car.....camber adjusted:

IMG_0199.gif

RS RIP
the front bumper? the bracket is like a triangle yeah? i used a hacksaw and cut it down to the smallest shape possible, then never had any problems

well the bumper is also bolted here so very little removal possible (at least i think when looking at it when removing wheel)

so before cutting id did rub on this yes . ?

i dont know, i noticed it was touching it when i lowered the car down after fitting, so i just got rid straight away

well the bumper is also bolted here so very little removal possible (at least i think when looking at it when removing wheel)

i removed quite a bit, il get a picture tommorow.

Golf TDI
thanks for all this advice foxy and everyone . all mates / parents are saying why be so silly having it this low etc bit i know it can be done as iv seen it !!

RS RIP

so before cutting id did rub on this yes . ?

tommorow, go to your car and very simply feel al along the side-screens. you will feel that ,where the bracket is, it sticks out 1,5 cm/2cm in comparison to the rest of the arch