ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Russ 16v's Cup Road Racer Blog.

Awesome project but I cant help but think you should really invest in a quality set of 4pots with two piece disks.

I would have scrapped the carbon fibre stuff and commissioned AP Racing to do a brake kit for you instead.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
yea i will proberly uprate the 4 pots to APs, the Willwoods should do until after nurburg

i dont want to loose the 15s though

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
na it wont take the power and the ST series will only fit which needs a rebuld every 1000 miles.

the sadiv would of been cheaper LOL

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup
Question for you Ben (feel free not to answer) but do you have an insurance quote for the completed car? I have enough trouble with the premiums on my cars with ‘light’ modifications.

R2TR

insurance shouldn't be that much of a problem, I can add a turbo to mine and it will hardly make a blind bit of difference, it's cheaper for me to insure a modified 172 than a totally standard one with most companies. Only problem for Ben could be his age...

who u insured wiv jon? because my insurance runs out in march sum time and i don`t fink most company r going to insure me!! `modified` 172 cup, 23 yo, 0 points, 1 smashed car and 3 or 4 years no claims :S

insurance shouldn't be that much of a problem, I can add a turbo to mine and it will hardly make a blind bit of difference, it's cheaper for me to insure a modified 172 than a totally standard one with most companies. Only problem for Ben could be his age...

who u insured wiv jon? because my insurance runs out in march sum time and i don`t fink most company r going to insure me!! `modified` 172 cup, 23 yo, 0 points, 1 smashed car and 3 or 4 years no claims :S

The reason I no longer own a clio is partly down to modifications. When I came to renew my insurance policy on the clio it cost twice as much to insure as it would've in standard trim, with just exhaust alloys and spoiler. If I went for custom head, ITB cams etc. IT came back down somewhere between the two! Go figure!!

RB 182 Cup
Brilliant project and some seriously cool stuff. But havent you sat down and thought to yourself its only a clio? Hell of alot of cash to spend

16v
Ben I have found a place where I can get 2 clio cup race car dashboards(new) are you interested, if so PM me because I need to let him know tomorrow. I already paid for 1 for me ...

80MPG BEEZA
he means the atchual plastic dash matey

yea i know from the cup racer but why would you want it after spending all that time making your custom one all the cash for materials etc ya bonkers

"bubbly bonkers" matey bubble bath

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Ok so it’s been a while since I last updated, mainly due to the freezing temps and I’ve been waiting for loads of parts!!

So after the little paint incident I had to strip all the old paint from inside the car and re paint it, but as the painted cage was in I then had to spend about 5 hours masking all the cage up!...

Here you can see where I had to spend about 5 hours re-masking the whole car ! sambo wanted to try out his new sigma lens LOL

IMG_6307.jpg

IMG_6309.jpg

after that was done, I painstakingly removed all the old paint, panel wiped down, gave the whole inside two coats of 647 black then a further 3 coats of two pac lacquer!

It reacted in a few places, I had to use the air sander to take it back to the steel then repaint.. it’s still done it a bit which is strange :S

IMG_6292.jpg

IMG_6293.jpg

I then set about removing all the masking tape from the cage and touched up any missed parts and painted the welds green by hand!

There is a bit of green overspray on the roof.. this isn’t a issue as the carbon roof skin will be in its place!

IMG_6347.jpg

IMG_6348.jpg

IMG_6351.jpg

IMG_6302.jpg

Next up was to fit the 4 mm ally foot rest plate... I had to modify the wholes a bit as I have removed the OEM plastic rest just leave the bare steel!... 30mins later and the foot rest was riveted in!

IMG_2438.jpg

Next I took the modified dash brace I have made.... primed it all up and sprayed any of the visible parts not covered by the dash in the green.... two coats of 2 pac lacquer..... job done! Trail fitted .. all seems good!

you can see a snap of it kinda fitted here

IMG_2428.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

Now one of the parts vie been waiting for :D ... fitting the carbon fibre door cards, we firstly had to remove all the old loom from inside the door frame.. cutting the cables back as the only ones which were staying were for the central locking mech and the speakers! (I have decided to opt for manual windows now too save the weight!)
Next up was to remove all the old mastic sealant Renault use to fit their door cards... did this using the trusty heat gun and scraper! Then we removed the wind-up window handles... after about 30 mins working how they were held on by some secret clip.... I then found out they just pull off LOL!
I wanted to keep the speakers in the car so I can use the radio (yes I know about the extra weight!) the door cards didn’t have the speaker whole cut so I had to do this... I basically painted round the old surround on the door plate with the green paint..

IMG_2440.jpg

lined the card up and pressed it against the paint....

IMG_2439.jpg

With the whole kinda half marked.. we took a marker round the speaker and then measured 9mm in for the final whole, cutting the door card was well ... erm .. interesting... after trying the dremmel, jig saw etc we decided on the old school 40mm blade and a small drill bit... this took ages but we got there in the end!.. flipped the door card over onto the other one.. marked the whole and repeated the process on the driver’s door card.

IMG_2441.jpg

So with the speaker hole cut, handle off, loom cut and the panel prepped it was time to fit the passenger card! I spent ages online and in hardware stores trying to find a fixing that was lightweight, self tapping, had a washer and needed to have protection against damaging the card.. I managed to source some aluminium self tapping, washer fitted, rubber backed screws LOL! Not cheap mind LOL

IMG_2437.jpg

With the 4 mm tin top bit we predrilled each whole and manual driven the self tappers in! Re fitted the handle, hooked up the speaker and popped the winder on!

IMG_2445.jpg

IMG_2444.jpg

See the problem? I can’t open the f**king window when the door is closed ! dam cage lol.. need to think of a way of sorting this..hhmmmm

Only the driver’s door to fit tonight, also going to fit and rivet the aluminium checker floor plates too :approve:

Some more parts have a arrived (costing a small fortune LOL) thought you might like to see some pics!

I needed a clutch to take the huge amount of power after lots and lots and lots of research I opted for a custom mix of bits... this should be good up to 500hp and 500 ft-lb

Kit includes

Al-con 4 plate ceramatallic paddle disk

IMG_2423.jpg

Helix motorsport heavy duty, high performance pressure plate

IMG_2424.jpg

Ap racing super heavy duty release bearing

IMG_2425.jpg

Ap racing pressure plate studs (still haven’t arrived)

Next up was the new harnesses, I went for 3” 6 point superlight sabelts with the aircraft buckle.. for the ridicules price I thought they would be “superlight” but there far from it.. they must weigh 10kgs for the pair! But they look sexy and will perform very very well!

IMG_2447.jpg

IMG_2449.jpg

Redtop 30 battery, I went for the 30 as it lasts a bit longer, is a bit more durable and will hold charge better.. there very expensive but worth it IMO

IMG_2442.jpg

Ordered a aluminium lightweight battery holder from demon tweaks, the fibre glass ones look pov! And I don’t want 15kgs of lead hitting the back of my seat in case of a accident! To secure it down I also order some 12.9 cap bolts with reinforced heavy duty bolts and load spreading washers.

IMG_2422.jpg

My fully formed rear Polly carbonate screen finally turned up! I had the optional UV stable boarder fitted so the panel bond won’t be on show!.. btw its super light !

IMG_2446.jpg

OMP loose loop towing eye turned up too... which is nice ... I’ll get a pic in second when PB decides to work again!

There’s a few other bits on order too! I just had to shell out £1500 for a new BIGGER supercharger too

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
ps the over spray on the door is off now too, just wiped off with some cellie thinners... most if it was on the dust LOL!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
the window thing is easily sorted, just make an extension.so the handle sticks out over the cage. Or better still fit electric......:clown:

Im surprised you didnt cut out the wheel well and replace it with a 182 panel.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
the window thing is easily sorted, just make an extension.so the handle sticks out over the cage. Or better still fit electric......:clown:

LOL. kinda wish i handnt thrown the mechs in the bin LOL

il think ill tap into the steel and fit a extention with a ally winder

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Looking Good, God I'm loving this Thread especially now it is all coming together,

May be a Stupid Suggestion but for the window winders is there no way of modifying one of those ratchet heads where it pulls 1 way and then clicks back, So you would wind up to the cage then click it back wards and start again!
If you know what I mean??

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
the wheel well was an idea, but it only saves the weight thats in the steel in the drop, add on the welds etc can only be a KG at most!

plus im going to fit a custom ethonol injection tank in there