ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Russ_16v's ITB'd & Caged 182 Track Car (Was Crispy's)

TrackCar & F30 330d
Very borning update, but i'v found some parts to delete the AC & PAS so i will be doing that soon, just need an alternator and a belt.

I'll hopefully get some picture at the weekend of me stripping the engine bits apart. So good update soon :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
UPDATE

I spent a few hours on the car saturday. My plan was to remove most of the bits from the engine bay so i can clean everything up, powdercoat parts i want to and just tidy every thing up. Allthough its a track car and its suppose to be function over fashion i just want to make the engine bay really tidy and clean. So here is goes.

First off i was greeted by two AA windscreen chappies who came to fit me a new windscreen after a little accident

So here was my old windscreen with a bit of a crack :(

IMG_4545.jpg

Then they chopped it out

IMG_4546.jpg

Then they fitted the nice new item

IMG_4547.jpg

Nice new windscreen

IMG_4549.jpg

So after that I started stipping the engine bay down, removed the bonnet and bumper and this is what i had to start with

IMG_4544.jpg

So i drained the coolant, removed the radiator and all the coolant hoses.

IMG_4551.jpg

Just removed the lights to give me more space

IMG_4556.jpg

So time to remove the AC compressor so i went about undoing all the bolts and bits.

IMG_4552.jpg

AC compressor removed

IMG_4557.jpg

Alternator removed

IMG_4558.jpg

Powersteering pump removed

IMG_4559.jpg

The big brackets and small pullys removed

IMG_4561.jpg

So its looking a bit more empty

IMG_4562.jpg

Removed the ITB's and fuel rail, the allen key bolts were rusty and manky so i'll replace those with new stainless items when it all goes back together.

IMG_4568.jpg

I then went about removeing all the engine bay loom

IMG_4569.jpg

All gone

IMG_4570.jpg

Also had to remove the gearbox mount and battery bracket thingy.

On removing it i found that it had broken :S could have been from the little Nurburgring kiss i had a few months ago allthough i actually think it may have broken way before that because there has allways been a buzzing when at 7000rpm and i think it could have been the broken mount. We will see when i put it all back together.

IMG_4587.jpg

Next thing to do was to remove the ABS unit, i got all the lines off apart from one so i had to cut it which was a bit of a pain but never mind.

IMG_4572.jpg

Then i just sprayed a little bit of degreaser over a few bits

IMG_4573.jpg

IMG_4574.jpg

IMG_4575.jpg

After a bit of a clean

IMG_4576.jpg

IMG_4577.jpg

IMG_4578.jpg

So thats it for this weekend, got a busy next few weekends so its probably just going to sit there for a while :(

IMG_4582.jpg

My next plans are:

Powdercoat - wishbones, subfames, ITB Manifold engine mount, gearbox mount.

Paint the block, rocker cover, etc

Buy brake bias valve, braided hosing, T pieces and shizzle.

New alternator and belt

Oh the list goes on.

:)

TrackCar & F30 330d
I will be replacing the rad with a shorter VAG item, the biggest job for this winter is the full rewire, I'm not the best with electrics but i'm going to take my time and make sure i get it right.

172 Race Car
the biggest job for this winter is the full rewire, I'm not the best with electrics but i'm going to take my time and make sure i get it right.
Thats been your biggest problem this year, wiring faults. lost count of the number of times its let you down :dapprove:

TrackCar & F30 330d
I know tell me about it, I couldnt beleivee how heavy the standard engine bay loom is.

I really need to find out excactly what the standard engine loom & ECU runs on my car. If i can run the engine just off the omex then i might find out a way of just running the lights and indicators on a separate loom

The only things i can think of that my car loom has to run is the lights, rad fan, and alternator. Not really sure i have mush else for it to run, (i havnt done any reasearch yet so i could have missed lots of things)

172 Race Car
As I said at TDF the other day, the stock ecu will only be running dash, cooling fan and fuel pump (altho iirc you said it had been by passed for some of those relay functions) The dash is your only problem as its CAN. everything else on the car can be wired up on a fresh loom piece of piss

TrackCar & F30 330d
Yeah well i wired the fuel pump to the omex loom and it was so tempremental as to weather it would prime the fuel pump or not. I'm pretty sure that loom is nackered, so thats getting replaced from scratch, so i will try wiring the other bits to the new loom.

Where can i find out what wires do what on the standard engine loom and ECU? is there a wiring diagram which says what the pins are?

172 Race Car
Ive got phase 1 stuff but not phase 2. Bound to be different seeing as its all can stuff.

Best to start from scratch with everything. Our loom in the race car has the bare minimum. Obviously you will need ALOT more wiring than we have as its got to be road legal but its not that hard.

Again, just got to sort the dash and speedo issue

Cooksport Fleet
The omex can run the fan aswell btw! So you can wire it up to that :) (just make sure its had its temp set correctly)

TrackCar & F30 330d
Spent the 6 hours fiddeling with the Car today, feel like i havnt really done much but i was allways doing somthing.

First thing for today was to prep the Block ready for a lick of paint

As you can see the block had lots of crusty rust

IMG_4590.jpg

I used a drill and some wire drill bits to get the most of it off.

IMG_4593.jpg

Just wanted to do the majority of the prep today and then when i paint it next week it should be straight forward.

The Omex CTS has allways leaked a little and its allways buged me so i wipped the water jacket off so it can be re sealed the sensor

IMG_4595.jpg

Bit of oil dripped out. Can someone confirm how the water jacket works? Are the bottom 4 holes where the coolant flows and the top few holes are where the oil flows.

IMG_4596.jpg

Bit of a degrease

IMG_4601.jpg

So as i might have said last week i went to my local scrappy and picked these greasy bits up from a Volvo 480

IMG_4542.jpg

Gave them a de-grease ready for painting

IMG_4610.jpg

And then trial fitted them to the car

IMG_4606.jpg

IMG_4607.jpg

The tentioner seems to be a little too far over to the left

IMG_4609.jpg

A question for the poeple that run this set up, do you need to space the tentioner so it sits over to the right a bit more? I havnt bought a Mk1 clio or Volvo alternator yet so i cant see if it fits.

Taped the holes up and then started to undo the rest of the brake lines

IMG_4604.jpg

All gone

IMG_4628.jpg

Removed every brake line

IMG_4611.jpg

After

IMG_4612.jpg

Before

IMG_4613.jpg

After

IMG_4615.jpg

Before

IMG_4620.jpg

After

IMG_4622.jpg

So all the braking bits that have been removed.

IMG_4626.jpg

So thats it for now looking a bit cleaner and neater.

IMG_4630.jpg

Got a Karting Endurance event next weekend so wont be working on the car for 2 weeks now :(

In a few weeks i'l measure how much braded piping i need and buy some bits and bobs so i can few fit the new lines

:)

TrackCar & F30 330d
I'm only removing the parts that track cars dont need, like ABS, PAS & AC.

But whilst its all been removed i'm tarting up bits so it looks nice. Then when it all goes back together it should be a nice looking engine bay.

I would remove the engine but dont have a hoist, so it's staying in to be painted :)

Hahaha very true.

Good work pal, car looks great!

Are you coming up for a few drinkypops at the end of the month?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Yeah hopefully coming up for some drinks and come to the Snet trackday just to watch. I'll let you know Thurday, got a Job interview :)

172 Cup, RB 182 Cup
How comes your KTEC ultra exhaust crackles and pops in the youtube video posted,
did it do this when you first fitted the exhaust, or is it a thing that comes with time? :p

TrackCar & F30 330d
I've quickly drawn a picture to see if this is the right set up to have to delete the ABS and make my own lines and bits.

The Bottom Black circles are the Front brakes
Top Black Circles are the rear brakes
Green Square is the 182 Master cylinder
Blue square with the circle on top is the bias Valve
The red T's are the T-pieces
and the Grey lines are the new braded lines

Brakesetup.gif

Is this a safe and correct set up?

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
looking really good now mate, was disappointed you didn't bring it down to TDF the other week! and even more disappointed the AM didn't get a go!

Are you running cams in yours at the mo?

TrackCar & F30 330d
No aftermarket Cams in my engine, Its completly standard really just slaped the ITB's on and it made 200bhp :)

Should produce more torqure with the removal of the AC & PAS

TrackCar & F30 330d
I had herd that ITB's with cams makes it slightly less fun to drive as the power is more up the top.

Dan_R who i bought the ITB's off had a standard engine with ITB's and then Cammed it and he said he wished he had never cammed it as it was better to drive with out them.

ITB'd MK1
I had herd that ITB's with cams makes it slightly less fun to drive as the power is more up the top.

Dan_R who i bought the ITB's off had a standard engine with ITB's and then Cammed it and he said he wished he had never cammed it as it was better to drive with out them.

he got 428s. Should have had 421s IMO, but there you go

your alternator bracket is bolted to the wrong side of that part of the block, that's why it looks to be too far over