ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Russ_16v's ITB'd & Caged 182 Track Car (Was Crispy's)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
howdy chap
another question if you have the answer / pics it would be handy,

when fitting the doorcards, did you cut away excess metal in the doors, if so you got any pics / info in what you left in there?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Small update,

Cutting a long story short, I bought a Carbon Firbre bonnet which had some laqure peel. and the courier damaged it in transit by putting a large cut in it :( The package didnt have insurance or anything so i'm stuck with a bonnet with damage.

Anyway today i took the DA to it to try getting it looking a bit better.

This is what it looked like when i got it

IMG_4845.jpg

Here's a close up of the 'good' part of the bonnet, the most swirled and hazy laqure i've ever seen.

IMG_4854.jpg

And after a few runs over it with some cutting fluid

IMG_4855.jpg

Looks better but still needs a bit more work

IMG_4878.jpg

Also rebuilt the ITB's

Before

IMG_4632.jpg

IMG_4631.jpg

After

IMG_4883.jpg

IMG_4886.jpg

IMG_4884.jpg

As you can see i've rebuilt them with the mech on the left so its pointing left and to the peddles instead of it going right and having to curve round.

Still need to polish up the trumpets, but might get some cheeky Carbon trumpets instead.

More soon :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
can you not mount the bonnet pins through were the cut is?
i am not sure whats would be underneath here on a phase 2

Well i did a little trial fit of the bonnet today and i could maybe cut the areocatches where the cut is. But i didnt really want then to be mounted there but i may have not choice.

I did some more work on the car today and i'm really happy, it looks the s**t now :) I'll update it on Tuesday :)

340i
I had a fibreglass bonnet for my 172... 1.4kg iirc, but was mega flimsy!

Only had it on a few weeks an sold it.

TrackCar & F30 330d
You got a carbon bonnet also eh? Same here! ;) How heavy is yours? Mine seems lighter than the standard bonnet but not a light as I thought though, someone told me that its a GRP bonnet with a carbon skin on top...

Yeah mine is a GRP with CF top layer. Mine weight 7kg. which is a lot ligheter than standard so i'm happy :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
7kg's sounds about similar to mine, ill get mine on the scales and see! Getting the inner boot skin taken out of mine soon, wont be long before i'm as light as yours ;) Though I still have no cage :(

Well my heavy thing in my roll cage and yours is your 2118's lol, probably weight the same lol

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
I doubt that bonnet will polish back up, mine is exactly the same. The trouble with those K-tec bonnets is that they are cheaply made with polyester resin instead of epoxy resin, polyester resin is quite soft and doesnt polish up very well so the bonnets are lacquered from new. This is all fine if the lacquer used is good quality but the stuff on these bonnets seems utter crap and goes all patchy, so the only way round it is to sand all the old lacquer off and re-lacquer it or just paint it body colour like im going to do.

DCi 100
Polyester also turns blue tinted and spider webs fairly easily iirc?

Shame about the bonnet dude! Trumpets all cleaned up are lovely.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Polyester also turns blue tinted and spider webs fairly easily iirc?

Shame about the bonnet dude! Trumpets all cleaned up are lovely.

Thats probably gel coat your thinking of, the top layer of most fibre glass products. These bonnets arent gel coated though.

TrackCar & F30 330d
I doubt that bonnet will polish back up, mine is exactly the same. The trouble with those K-tec bonnets is that they are cheaply made with polyester resin instead of epoxy resin, polyester resin is quite soft and doesnt polish up very well so the bonnets are lacquered from new. This is all fine if the lacquer used is good quality but the stuff on these bonnets seems utter crap and goes all patchy, so the only way round it is to sand all the old lacquer off and re-lacquer it or just paint it body colour like im going to do.

I've polished it up and it looked pretty much brand new, obviously apart from the big gash in it. The bonnet just needs a little bit more work in a few areas where the laqure was very bad.

Just sat & read through it all, really good read & hats off to you mate youve got a great car

Thanks mate :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
These some pictures of what i got upto the other day :)

So i finished off attaching the wishbones and subframe to the car and suspension so it was all ready for teh slightly more fun stuff

IMG_4887.jpg

Alternator Bracket and tentioner bolted on :)

IMG_4888.jpg

Then the ITB's went on to see what it all looked like.

IMG_4890.jpg

IMG_4889.jpg

IMG_4891.jpg

And as i have had my new rad for months i brought it out and had a trial fitting

IMG_4892.jpg

IMG_4894.jpg

Fits pretty well tbh, just needs a few little bracket and it'l be nice and sturdy :)

A;sp trial fiting the bonnet :)

IMG_4896.jpg

So thats it for now. Just need to find a bolt to go through the top of the alternator which turned up today :)

IMG_4897.jpg

Its getting there :)

Cro

Meg'd r27
Its going to be awesome mate! Are you running with those headlight blanks constantly? I need to work out some sort of quick release front bumper system, maybe using areocatches.

Can't get over how well the colour looks!

TrackCar & F30 330d
Its going to be awesome mate! Are you running with those headlight blanks constantly? I need to work out some sort of quick release front bumper system, maybe using areocatches.

Can't get over how well the colour looks!

Well if i just trailor it to all my trackdays next year then yes i will just keep them in, but i have been thinking about putting it back on the road for the summer for a bit of fun so the heavy xeons may be comign back