ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scottish Track day 172 PH1.

Clio 172
Thought i'd start a project thread for the Clio. My intention is to run it in the Scottish Hillclimb/Sprint championship work permitting and also use it for track days too.
So far no major upgrades but here's what's been done so far.

New Platinum plugs
New Power lead HT leads
New DOT5.1 brake fluid
New Braided Brake hoses.
New Discs and pads and replaced front brake calipers(broken bleed nipples! :bang: )
Ktec Racing Supersport Straight through SS exhaust system ( bloody loud!!)
Ktec Racing straight through Decat pipe ( new lambda fitted)
Removed cd player and head unit/ fitted my ipod ready headunit
Fitted some harnesses.
Fitted tow eye.
4001198476_989412f2cb_b.png

4000433829_772c53833d_b.png

4000435337_32ecc8fc63_b.png

4001204676_585bdd61d0_b.png

4001205954_79198f94f3_b.png

4000442887_965e8a13d9_b.png

4001211228_9afe3e4214_b.png

4000449787_11b5a31331_b.png

Next on the agenda for next season.

Coilovers / suspension bushes.
Solid top mounts.
Uprated engine mounts and dog bone mount.
Matched inlet manifolds.
ITG panel filter.
re-locate battery into cabin.
re-locate airbox for better airflow.
Fixed bucket seats.
Roll cage.
Crash diet - remove carpets tar sheets and anything else i can get away with under the rules.
Some extra gauges to keep an eye on things.
Remove front fogs and fit brake cooling ducts.
Remove airbags and replace dash with lower spec item.
Fit racing steering wheel.
Gonna be a busy winter!

Clio 172
Got some Trackday action yesterday, Pissed it down all day so Knockhill was nice and slippy!!.

4103236697_b1bf55b4d7_b.jpg

Clio 172
that looks good buddy. how did you find it on track?

It was all over the place on my first few laps but came in and fiddled with the tyre pressure a bit and then it was much better.

Its pretty good on track feel solid enough and brakes well, Just need more power as it feels slow compared to everything else on track! but then it was all time attacj scoobs etc.

Pug 205 gti
It was all over the place on my first few laps but came in and fiddled with the tyre pressure a bit and then it was much better.

Its pretty good on track feel solid enough and brakes well, Just need more power as it feels slow compared to everything else on track! but then it was all time attacj scoobs etc.

what did you drop the pressures to?

Clio 172
29psi all round the fronts were well high after getting tyres fitted on friday i didn't recheck them as i asked for 30psi in them, They were actually at 37psi!! nuggets!.

Clio 172
Long overdue update for you all, I've been busy this last 2 week getting the wee clio ready for action here's some pics.

4478329865_ae9887f1c0_b.jpg

4478956774_c727ba5114_b.jpg

4478957978_9879399cb5_b.jpg

4476863330_3ffb5928e3_b.jpg

4478335743_4b4648f764_b.jpg

Some new rubber!!
4478962552_d00abc8108_b.jpg

So the list is as follows:
Airconn/Airbags removed
Bucket seats and harness fitted
D2 Coilovers fitted
New High Carbon discs and DS2500 feredo racing pads
Caged/KTR half cage
Standard cat refitted :( (Regulation for road class)
OMP targa steering wheel fitted
SBP Flocked dash top and steering cowling fitted
Jenvey/Omex ITB induction system fitted

Final big job was to get the suspension setup and corner weights done at Clark Motorsport, Only got them done yesterday so not had a chance to try them out yet but Barry Clark reckons its as good as i'm going to get for a FWD car. results below.
4478969092_a772ee375f_b.jpg

Just need this bloody snow to lift now so we can test it tomorrow!!

Clio 172
Well i competed in my first ever sprint on Sunday down at Kames in Ayrshire and it was a hoot. Aim of the day was to finish unharmed both me and car managed it no problems, even manage a respectable time for my virgin run at the wee track. The track is narrow as hell and quite twisty so your never above 3rd gear much but its bloody hard work!.
My fellow A2 competitors reckoned that my goal should be somewhere in the 102sec mark so out I went for my first practice and managed a 101.39. Tyre pressures are the only thing I wanted to play with so a quick play and I was ready for run 2 100.07 this time so I was much happier with that.

Pity I was then slower in the timed runs but i'm putting that down to tyre pressures being too low after the lunch halt These R888's seem to increase in pressure faster then normal after a hard run and its tricky to get them at the right pressure to grip ratio ( only excuse I have for being slow!), I only managed a 100.53 as my quickest timed run so I ended up 4th in class and 3rd in Championship so far.

Quickest A2 was 97.24 which is a new class record, set in a very well set-up saxo vts.
Next round for me will be the Kames sprint again on the 23rd May so I will be in 90's then!!.

Incidentally the car was sound checked on the day and made 88 decibels, Thats with a Ktec Supersport and standard twin barrel cat.

Only pics of the day.
4516853291_42623ddfb1_o.jpg

4516853293_0d7aecfdfd_o.jpg

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Has it been on the rollers? Looks like you've done a lot of work in a short period of time!

Clio 172
Didn't get a chance to roller it yet but its booked in on my return from Ghana.

I was a bit worried as i'm running a new map a bought from Andy at Ktec and after reading some old posts i had my fingers crossed but it seems ok.

I did all the work in about 3 weeks in between the freak snow storms we had up here, 5 weeks Time off has its advantages:D

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Cracking progress mate, love the track wheels aswell! :eek:

Clio 172
Aye work in Ghana 35/35 rotation so i'll miss a lot of the Local stuff so i've entered the Lowlands Championship as well.
Next year will be the other way round though so i'll get all the Local events.

Clio 172
Re: Scottish Track day 172 PH1 *Hungry Engine & RR Results*

Well did my second sprint at the weekend and what a day!. First of all i was late arriving as my alarm was still on Ghana time, Then went to get the car off the trailer to find some tee leaf had stolen a ramp.
The cars just back from getting a new timing belt and dephaser pulley fitted and the difference was felt straight away, it feels a lot less lumpy and seems to pull a lot better at high revs.
The second run of the day was a bit of a disaster although it was my quickest time of the day i manged to suck part of the Ktec airfilter through the engine!!, I had to remove the ITB's to get a large piece of the aluminum mesh that was resting in the inlet port of the head. So it was an early bath for me as i didn't fancy running the car without a filter.

A phone call to my mechanic and some checks later all seemed to be fine with the engine so i fitted some socks to the itb's and go the car on the rollers for a wee checkup.

Here's the results which i'm quite happy with:approve:.
4639059446_58e0727743_b.jpg

Clio 172
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MJI-lFQw6Vg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MJI-lFQw6Vg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Clio 172
Have you got cams with the ITB's?

BHP is pretty high
Thats the first thing the Mapping dude said!

Not as far as i know, but then i did find out that its had a new engine at some time of its life so the history of it is a bit vague at the minute.

7382rpm for the limit seems a bit high too no?.

I'm running a map i bought from Andy at Ktec which seems to be a bit better than the base map i had from Omex.

Clio 172
Well did my second sprint in May and what a day!. First of all i was late arriving as my alarm was still on Ghana time, Then went to get the car off the trailer to find some tee leaf had stolen a ramp.
The cars just back from getting a new timing belt and dephaser pulley fitted and the difference was felt straight away, it feels a lot less lumpy and seems to pull a lot better at high revs.
The second run of the day was a bit of a disaster although it was my quickest time of the day i manged to suck part of the Ktec airfilter through the engine!!, I had to remove the ITB's to get a large piece of the aluminum mesh that was resting in the inlet port of the head. So it was an early bath for me as i didn't fancy running the car without a filter.

A phone call to my mechanic and some checks later all seemed to be fine with the engine so i fitted some socks to the itb's and got the car on the rollers for a wee checkup.
Kames Sprint Practice run
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfnZU5hcFzk[/youtube]

Then i did 3 more events when i was home last hitch ( Iwork 35/35 in Ghana).
First up was Kames again so another 4am start on a Sunday!, We arrived at the track to find some pikey bas had stolen a ramp from the trailer as it was sat outside the house on sat night. Well onto the action and i managed to shave a couple of seconds of my PB time from my last visit then on the 2nd practice run the car missfired badly for a wee sec or two whilst on full throttle on the back straight, it quickly cleared up so i thought nothing of it and finished my run. A closer inspection revealed a massive hole in my airfilter, I'd managed to suck the filter through the engine and left a chunk of aluminium mesh in the head so i had to strip the bodies off the head to extract it. That ended play for the day as i didn't fancy running the car with no filters.

Then it was upto Golspie, A lot of banter was had all day especially from the commentator who was a comedian.Golspie is a ace wee kart track and i made good progress time wise throughout the day and ended up with a 3rd place with my first timed run.Then punted it into the tyres on the second run, only cosmetic and pride damage though so lucky escape.

Then i made it to Doune hillclimb, What a hill that is it's just a shame its not longer its hard to explain how good it is and even my videos don't do it justice but the shakes you get at the top of the hill after a run tell you how scary the place is. I manged to keep away from the barriers and made a 8sec improvement over the day so i was chuffed with that.

Next up will be Fintry on the 15th Aug so hopefully we'll have a full eastside team for that one.
Some vids of doune for you.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APHa8ua4aLE[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K9B-TBXIqY[/youtube]
4754741521_6522d50bf9_b.jpg

4754741535_7e3c546227_b.jpg

4753649042_f1274c20b6_b.jpg

clio 182
Well done! car is performing well!

wouldnt mind getting into hillclimbs! need a few track days first though!

we should arrange a meet/trackday/good drive for the lads in aberdeenshire, some serious clios up this way!

*just noticed fintry in august, i will be there, always a good day out!*

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
^ Was one last nite at knockhill...Track evening. If you fancy doing one next month am up for it.

Clio 172
I'll be on Holiday [FONT=&quot]Unfortunately[/FONT].

Aren't Hot Marques nights for £15k upward cars?.

tiTTy & SV650
Only just noticed this thread, nice car, nice work too. Is there a list of events somewhere online? I'd like to visit Kames, Fintry, Doune etc but never know when an event is on.