ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seagate 7200.11 1TB HD Failure

Recaro + Cupped 182
Pisser, its always tedious when that happens and your favorite bluies are gone for good! I just ordered one of these, not arrived yet but think I might pay the extra tenner and get a WD one looking at the big red map.

Bummer of it is, I'm sure I read that around the time it came out, but forgot all about it as I was going to check mine wasn't one of the problem ones.

LY 182
Ouch! By default I do not buy Seagate, they've always been trouble and Maxtor as well which iirc they were bought by Seagate.

Western Digital every day of the week, hope you get it sorted.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Yeah Seagate are toss, Maxtor as well, a colleague bought in 3 1TB Maxtor HDDs and they are all broken.

LY 182
^^lol pathetic isn't it. If a hard drive goes at our place you can almost garantee it's going to be a Maxtor. Though we haven't had a failure in a long time, probably because there are no longer anymore Maxtors in our computers.

Octy VRS
Never had trouble with Maxtor. For this very reason I never buy massive drives. It's risking too much.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
The problem isn't buying massive drives, its having a good backup plan !!

At the very least, buy two and set up a raid 1 mirror, or 3 and setup raid 5, or 4 and RAID10/6 etc. It's unfortunate that you got one of those dodgy seagates though. I just got 3 1TB WD Caviar Black.. quite nice acutally.

Ouch! By default I do not buy Seagate, they've always been trouble and Maxtor as well which iirc they were bought by Seagate.

Western Digital every day of the week, hope you get it sorted.
I had the Seagate and the maxtor 200gb, which I'm on right now, in the same machine, never had a problem with maxtor before personally.
Yeah Seagate are toss, Maxtor as well, a colleague bought in 3 1TB Maxtor HDDs and they are all broken.
We had a s**t-load of Maxtor failures with a batch we bought at work, the fun part was knowing they'd go and guessing when lol.

At the very least, buy two and set up a raid 1 mirror, or 3 and setup raid 5, or 4 and RAID10/6 etc. It's unfortunate that you got one of those dodgy seagates though. I just got 3 1TB WD Caviar Black.. quite nice acutally.
I have a WD in my old machine which is still going nicely, only 80gb though lol.

I know what you mean about a good backup plan, but honestly in the past 10+ years, I've backed up lots and never actually needed to, so I stopped bothering and I can't be arsed to shell out money to raid them when I've had such little fuss. Also, if anything has gone such as the O/S I've always managed to get the files anyway.

Just unfortunate in this case that the HD is locked unless I do this.

However, I got this email back from Seagate:

Seagate said:
Thank you for contacting Seagate Technical Support.

A firmware issue has been identified that affects a small number of Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 hard drive models which may result
in data becoming inaccessible after a power-off/on operation. The affected products are Barracuda 7200.11, Barracuda ES.2 SATA, and DiamondMax 22.

From your failure description, it appears that your drive has been affected.
Although we cannot be 100% sure without looking at the drive, assuming this is the case, we can reset the drive, flash new firmware, and your existing data will not be affected.

This work is being conducted by "i365" on Seagate's behalf.

Please contact i365 at 020 7432 4619.
When you speak with their agent, tell them you would like to recover your files and your Seagate Case Number is 00387295.
You will be asked to fill out an online form and then your drive will be picked up, repaired, and returned.

We do apologize for this inconvenience and promise to get your drive back to you as quickly as possible.

Please, can I go into my "RAID is not a backup" speech? Pleeeeeeease? ;):eek::rasp:

172.com said:

I wouldn't like to think about the 600GB-worth content that disk may have in your hands.... :dead::nono::rasp:

Just had my first Windows 7 bluescreen :)

Anyways, annoying thing is, I regulary burn contents of the HD to DVD, but because the drive is so mahoosive I got lazy lol. Still I should get it all back for free :)

600gb of equates to a lot of ASCII pr0n.

Oh and I'll also tell you the really annoying thing about all this. I booked this week as a holiday as I'm working on a personal project and wanted to get a good head of steam up, waste of holiday time now :(.

FFS. Now the 200GB I had in there has failed! The failboat has definitely come into the habour.

I'm now on an old WD 80GB IDE. After this all I have is a 40GB Maxtor IDE. :(

I'm glad windows 7 is fast and easy to setup!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Please, can I go into my "RAID is not a backup" speech? Pleeeeeeease? ;):eek::rasp:

No you may not.

Besides it does provide redundancy and that is about as far as you need to go for home users. Offsite backups are a bit overkill unless you data is THAT important.

It's not overheated, I know many that have died that way at work, but this is due to it getting in a locked state during power off/on. Needs a reset.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Well at least its in the news now. I had 4Tb drives from Seagate, exact same model, all failed. was really enjoying vista, then "error no OS found" Emm what? It worked two seconds ago. Drive had died.
Spoke to seagate, new drive arrived. New drive in, formatting away, crash, die, click click click click. Feck.
2nd drive - yay, installed in, loaded up vista, installed drivers, moved data to it. Switched pc off, back on, click click click. No OS found.
3rd drive - Not happy with seagate, worked for one week, died, click click click. FUCCCCCCKKKKK offffff.
PC sat there for two weeks doing he haw, sent drive away. Tried new drive, died after two weeks.
Got money back.
Bought a WD, still working since April.

Wooooo...

If you have the dodgy drive just update the firmware. That solves the issue. Don't forget to backup first incase you c**k it up ;)