ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sean's BG 182 Track car

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182

So went to ford fair yesterday took the focus out on some cut slicks I managed to get hold of, was good fun as ever with public track time it was full of idiots that couldn't drive made for some interesting moments! Spent most of my sessions chasing my friend in his 2.3 itb'd racing puma that is an absolute weapon so was good fun right up until a blow out stopped play!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Now to give the Clio a check over ready for Bedford on Friday! I'll make sure to say hi and introduce myself to people!
image.jpeg

172 Ph1
I saw a video earlier of you chasing the puma . Was going some [emoji1303]
Was it the end of your track time after the blow out ?

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I saw a video earlier of you chasing the puma . Was going some [emoji1303]
Was it the end of your track time after the blow out ?

The puma is 260ish bhp and the focus is 400bhp ish so on the track it was a very fun drive we've been driving together for years which is nice because I could sit on his bumper in places and vice Versa knowing where abouts to let off for space lol

Yeah luckily it went at the beginning of the last session so wasn't too bad timing wise

172 Ph1
Ahh not a total loss then.

260bhp out of the pump - that must shift , mind you 400bhp odd out the focus = fun .
Bedford is approaching fast , any last minute jobs on the Clio or are you all good ?

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Ahh not a total loss then.

260bhp out of the pump - that must shift , mind you 400bhp odd out the focus = fun .
Bedford is approaching fast , any last minute jobs on the Clio or are you all good ?

Yeah the puma is well fast mate, mind you all the ford purists hate what he's done to a racing puma as its cut up and full cage etc from what I understand it's a 2.3 duratec lump that's high comp and wrc spec cams and other bits, doesn't hang about!

Focus is just pure brute force a bit sluggish out of the bends but once on a run certainly gets on a good pace lol

No I think the Clio is ok gonna get some new front tyres fitted but that's about it jus a case of checking levels and making sure the bolts are tight lol

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Don't want to sound dramatic but they've changed the car mate can't describe to you how much more planted it is! They are brilliant I was saying to my mate if could do it all again I'd of not bothered with cams etc and just bought hubs and ast's and a diff and it would of been so much faster than my small bhp gain

Yeah I havnt gone with a diff as I dont have any power gains due my engine being a 'Good one' (I think) it feels really strong and has held its own against much stronger clios with throttle bodies/ Turkish inlet. After speaking with northloopcup when I had my Gearbox done we spoke about the gain and he thought Ithey may be as good as a diff with standard power so I may get some of him.
However that will be a winter thing as I am on the grid at cadwell for my first race on the 3rd September in the Tricolore Trophy. The money can be used elsewhere!!

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Yeah I havnt gone with a diff as I dont have any power gains due my engine being a 'Good one' (I think) it feels really strong and has held its own against much stronger clios with throttle bodies/ Turkish inlet. After speaking with northloopcup when I had my Gearbox done we spoke about the gain and he thought Ithey may be as good as a diff with standard power so I may get some of him.
However that will be a winter thing as I am on the grid at cadwell for my first race on the 3rd September in the Tricolore Trophy. The money can be used elsewhere!!

Yes mate I only opted for cams because I needed a new head and it was a now or never kinda decision lol

And nice one mate good luck that'll be awesome!

172 Ph1
Cheepy prima racing cams mate I think they're the same spec as 197 cams I can't remember there is a cat cam equivalent but I can't remember the model, made 190.2 after a map so not the end of the world lol

That's good results from "cheepy"s lol.
I have no idea what mine is power wise with the RS2 , would like to get it dyno'd at some point in the future .

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
That's good results from "cheepy"s lol.
I have no idea what mine is power wise with the RS2 , would like to get it dyno'd at some point in the future .

Yours will be more than mine I'd of thought, from what I understand the rs2 give a really good midrange where my cams are not a different from standard until about 4K maybe 5 then you can feel the kick and see it in the rr print out lol

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Well managed to get to the bottom of the gearbox leak from Bedford on Friday some of you might of seen it in the pits with oil pissing out of it!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The cap that goes over 5th was leaking I see there is a rubber gasket/seal around it can I purchase this part or isit a case of put it back with a load of gasket sealer?
Quick pic of how it's going to sit whilst I can be bothered to go back to it, not sure how much longer I'll keep this car for to be honest...
image.jpeg

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Are the Brembos a straight fit on the 182 mate?

Hi mate no they're not you need to buy special brackets and if like me you want to use the standard size discs you need to get the calliper machined 5mm I believe on the mounting face so they sit lower toward the discs, you can get them under 15's with the correct spacers too

172 Ph1
Well managed to get to the bottom of the gearbox leak from Bedford on Friday some of you might of seen it in the pits with oil pissing out of it!View attachment 162347
The cap that goes over 5th was leaking I see there is a rubber gasket/seal around it can I purchase this part or isit a case of put it back with a load of gasket sealer?
Quick pic of how it's going to sit whilst I can be bothered to go back to it, not sure how much longer I'll keep this car for to be honest...

Is it me , the gearbox looks broken in the pic . ? Hope it is ok

As a general rule - the seal goes in dry , wipe clean and install . Normally get a build up of brass that lifts the seal . [emoji33]

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Sit rep - car has been sat around doing nothing for months - a new alternator should be this week and I have a gear box oil leak to sort! Hopefully do a brands day this month at some point as having trackday withdrawal symptoms!
IMG_5848.JPG

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
So a bit of activity infactt I think the most activity this year! But bought some slicks and booked a trackday and forced myself to go and work on the car, so fixed the gearbox oil leak, I stupidly fitted the seal wrong for the end case so re did that and then got the car out for a wash, as you can see from the photos my unit is very dusty and the car looked like a barn find!
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG

Topped up the gearbox oil and no leaks so happy days! Then I gave it a well deserved wash and I think a little bit of love come back for it!
IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

Will be doing some other bits and bobs before the trackday so I will keep the thread alive!

Thanks for reading :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    860.9 KB · Views: 118

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
If you would have , what one would you wished you'd have kept ?
Erm, I had a black e46 m3 that was a great spec and would of been worth a chunk of money now! still managed to move it on for a profit so cant complain, its hard to have feelings for a car in the used car sales trade lol

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
When and where are you booked on track Sean?
About time you pulled your finger out... not that I can comment, lol 😊

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
When and where are you booked on track Sean?
About time you pulled your finger out... not that I can comment, lol 😊

Snetterton on the 27th mate msv day, myself, alex and hayley are booked and confirmed, paul is wanting to along with a few others! Will the T make it for that mate?

I was gonna text you the other day as I need some bits but haven't had a chance to go and double check that I need all of them yet lol

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
So snett on the 27th was an absolute blast! Car was mostly faultless.. slight clutch slip in the morning which was really frustrating me but once everything was warmed up it was ok... not sure how that can happen ? Perhaps something has leaked onto the clutch in the time it’s been sat around ( around a year )
And the high pressure fuel line that feeds the injectors popped off for no apparent reason so very lucky to not loose the car in a ball of flames... other than that a very good day!
Must of found some love for it as I have booked a spa track day for the 10th of November and will be hitting the nordshleife over that weekend aswell so can’t wait for that!
Didn’t really film much although have a couple of fly by’s and my friend Alex followed me for a lap or 2 in his 500+bhp r32 gtr so very nice of him to back off his pace just to get some footage of the Clio lol !
14676FEE-6599-4F1E-8D96-A2F5128B5516.jpeg
D13574C8-2E11-4AE5-8E99-86C97A22AF7E.jpeg
E639ECAA-C960-483D-AC45-2023355B9A29.jpeg

Took my pal out after lunch and showed how quick it can rotate on cold slicks lol

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
So took the Clio to the Nurburgring over the weekend and done a trackday at spa whilst we were out there, had an amazing time but the Weather was really against us! Absolutely pouring down for the most part of the day but was still good fun! The ad08r’s offered very little grip but had lots of side ways fun!
25D71668-43C3-4009-87F4-0D2E11DE0CEB.jpeg
323BECE0-7926-4935-9235-BBA784A02591.jpeg
F3F82746-F477-462C-8998-4BB56B381D4A.jpeg
B6F41676-F0CF-46F9-97FC-D6F92AC01CFC.jpeg
649C0F7D-6F4B-42C3-BADD-28491E8896F0.jpeg
922FDEDE-D522-4F88-8C7C-5495CA73259B.jpeg