ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seperating Gearbox from Engine (Mk1)

500bhp Scoob
Hi,

Trying to remove my engine as I've got to replace a few things and its just easier with engine out, I want to leave the gearbox in place.

I've undone all 4 bolts that hold it to the engine, I know the gearbox is secured at the front by a dowel, and at the back near the starter motor there is a threaded bar which has a nut on it, which is undone.
I can seperate the gearbox at the front with a huge screwdriver, but the back isn't budging at all, i've tried lifting the engine slightly and pulling the gearbox towards the nearside wheelarch (have also taken out the shock absorber for that side so I can tilt the hub and get more movement for the gearbox to be pulled over.
The gearbox doesn't have the cover on the bottom that protects the flywheel.

Any ideas as it just isn't going, and I'm in quite a rush, as it needs to be put back together, taxed, MOT'd and running perfectly for FCS.

Cheers

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
I would say the same as fred. Just do up all the bolts and take the whole thing out. Itll give you a chance to clean everything too!

500bhp Scoob
Ahh bitching, thats the problem I can't drain it as the drain bolt in the bottom is done up way too tight, the previous owner decided to round it off, and I don't have a sqaure drive that fits into the middle.
The gearbox oil is brand new, and the box and engine are all clean and painted, the car hasn't even moved since i last fitted the engine.

The gearbox was drained when i took it out the last car by accidently ripping the gaitor and it pissing out all over the floor.

I only want to replace my turbo with a refurbed one due to play in the shaft and smoking on idle.
If it ain't one thing, its another :(

500bhp Scoob
I could do, but after skinning all my knuckles today just trying to undo all the bits like the exhaust downpipe, its just easier to take it out, plus I now have an engine crane, and thought i'd use it seeing as its there.

Just easier to have it sitting on the floor with me facing the side I can work on, that way i don't have to keep getting underneath, undoing it so much, then streching over the engine bay to undo it further.

Think i'll just have to drain the gearbox oil by undoing the gaitor again, and hope for not much mess

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
Which turbo engine you got in there? If you cant undo it agle grind a stright groove in the plug (which should cause two little grooves opposite each other) shove a thin bar in there and undo it that way? Youll need a new plug though ;)

500bhp Scoob
its the volvo turbo lump, identical to the F3P Clio 1.8 8v RSi engine.

Think I may go with the little bit of wastage, just undo the gaitor and let it come out at a reasonable rate, and have plenty of cardboard on the floor to absorb any that doesnt go into the drip tin, as ive got just under a litre of gearbox oil left from when i filled it up the first time :)