ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shell V-Power Nitro+

Interesting it says that as the original map is definately a little too much ignition timing for 95 at about 5Krpm, you get knock sensor pings when driving at full throttle.

Not an issue anywhere else from what I have seen, just that little bit.

never heard it and i have opened it up a fair few times , but ours never sees a hard life , also never saw any increased mpg on 98 ...... i just never saw the point , however if we stick that rs tuner map on i guess we will have to

CLIO MK2 SI
i put some in my car on saturday i normally get about 40/50 mile out of ten pound (cars overfuelling) and so far i have done 60mile and still got some left in its about 139.9 a litre

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i put some in my car on saturday i normally get about 40/50 mile out of ten pound (cars overfuelling) and so far i have done 60mile and still got some left in its about 139.9 a litre
Your unscientific test is inaccurate, you wont get 25% better economy just from changing the petrol slightly.

So your turbo'd highly tuned car runs better on higher octane.

well I never. Which petrol is 102 in Germany, can't say ive seen any personally?

​A Clio 200 would just laugh at nitro+ (if it was 102 Ron, but it isn't)

my car is designed to run on 98, so I wouldn't bother with 102 Ron if it came out personally, for the same reason I don't use 95 Ron, my engine wasn't designed to use it.

Aral (BP) Ultimate is 102

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Thinking out loud chip but if the Ron rating is essentially the fuels resistance to det then wouldn't it be fair to say that potentially the higher Ron fuel will yield more power?

for example with 95 Ron the ignition starts adjusting when knock sensor senses detonation therefore not achieving its full potential (full power)

​if 99 is less likely to detonate then your less likely to get ignition adjustments and therefore not lose any power...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Depends if you are knock limited on the map or not mate.
For a high comp motor or a boosted motor you will almost always make more power on higher octane so long as the ignition curve is set accordingly.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It means that when you are trying to find the ignition that gives the most power, you get knock/det before you reach it.

Ie the limit to how much ignition you can run in that circumstance is when it dets.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh right I see.

so realistically the right way to put it would be, running higher octane fuel lessens the chances of loosing power...

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I have been using 95 since I got the 182 but after reading this thread a bit think ill empty the tank and fill up with 98. Im sure the bp near me is 97 though, where does 98?.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
97 or 98 is a lot less of an issue TBH mate, 172 is fine on 97 IME, its still a huge improvement over 95.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
but there's nothing wrong with 95RON either................................

It increases the amount of knock, with the pistons so fragile on these engines its a lottery if that is a problem or not.
I would strongly recommend against using it as *SOME* f4r cars will have a problem with it, but obviously there are lots that dont too, the piston quality varies so much that one engine can tolerate another cant, just like lots of people smoke and dont get cancer.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
LOL, scaremongering.

You sure you don't work for an oil company?

Im not scaremongering im just warning of a genuine risk if run on a lower octane fuel than its mapped for, the knock levels go up when its held at WOT, and that increases the chance of the ringlands failing, something which quite a lot of these engines die because of, its a risk on the standard software, but given that most of these cars are now running an RS Tuner map or other remap, its an even bigger risk.

Ive not got any vested interest in it one way or the other, makes no personal difference to me if people kill their engines other than I prefer other people to be happy than sad.

So basically: they are mapped for 97+ and will be retarding (advancing??) ignition in some circumstances to prevent det. This leads to a small loss of power, but in the first instance det must have been detected, in which case it is actually happening.

No? Yes?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So basically: they are mapped for 97+ and will be retarding (advancing??) ignition in some circumstances to prevent det. This leads to a small loss of power, but in the first instance det must have been detected, in which case it is actually happening.

No? Yes?

Yes and the knock detection and asociated r****d are a bit crude so it sees quite a few knock events during use as it keeps putting the timing in and out.
​Far from ideal.

Shell Nitro+

Has anyone else given this fuel a test run?

I am amazed by it really,

I usually get 37mpg when doing hard driving and 42mpg when driving a little softer,

I usually use premium unleaded every once so often anyway so I wasnt expecting much from it but after putting £30 worth in I reset my meter as i always do, and went about my way as normal, work runs and the odd motorway blast.

now driving softly Im getting 49mpg! (average) (2 above what the book says) and driving hard its only dropping to 46!!!

I am convinced it cant just be the fuel?? and I have a bit more weight in my car too as I put 2 subs and an amp in :s

I shouldnt complain but its coming round to refuling and I dont know if to reach for the Nitro+ or standard, if it is the fuel it pays for itself easy, got 220 miles on £30 with N+ and 170 miles to £30 with regular.

?

Lionel Richie
I've played with F4R engines now for 13 or so years and i've yet to see a ringland failure, Chip comes along and sees about 10 LOL, strange old world, i blame the southerners with their soft air and gay petrol ;)

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
I've played with F4R engines now for 13 or so years and i've yet to see a ringland failure, Chip comes along and sees about 10 LOL, strange old world, i blame the southerners with their soft air and gay petrol ;)

Salty air and fat people from eating all the pasties putting stress on the engines you mean! Lol

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I put in a tank of this nitro diesel in harlow today out of curioisty since it is reltively cheap at present. Will see if it makes the car any better. Will proably be a placebo effect.

I put some in my car today. Pulled out of the garage and lit the afterburners. Got to work 20 minutes sooner and averaged 100mpg. Pretty good.