ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sir_Dave's Trophy. 1 x Miley Shed.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Re: Project 172k Trophy, & its endless track abuse

sounds good, why didnt you go for a cup setup if you were getting a new alternator? Also does the light still come on when you turn your AC on?

Because its not just a simple swap from an A/C setup to the Cup setup. I forget why but im told its a ballache.

Plus Dave likes the shiny bits he now has with the delete kit.....the tart.

Lotus Elise

Because its not just a simple swap from an A/C setup to the Cup setup. I forget why but im told its a ballache.

You just need a cup alternator, brackets, belt and bend a PAS pipe iirc, but ill happily be put right.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

sounds good, why didnt you go for a cup setup if you were getting a new alternator? Also does the light still come on when you turn your AC on?

My light doesnt come on, but that might be because none of the centre dashboard lights work, i need to replace some bulbs me thinks ... :eek:

Re: the PMS kit instead of Cup setup - originally i didnt think the alternator was faulty as it was working ok, & the PAS pump was dropping power ocassionally, so though the whirring was related to that, so went for a new PAS pump & PMS kit.

Once it was all built back up, the whir was still there, so they bunged a new alternator on as well - which cured the noise. James offered to take the PAS pump off & not charge me etc, but i decided that it was one less thing to break in the future, so asked them to leave it on.

In addition, the kit is a little bit of s3xyness on a car reknowned for being a dirty shed.

Clio%20pulley%20kit%20067RS.jpg

Evo 5 RS

You just need a cup alternator, brackets, belt and bend a PAS pipe iirc, but ill happily be put right.

This ^ it's not a ball ache at all. Just have to make sure you route the pas safely is all

P.S the pick up is noticeable with it gone though! or I found it was

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

great work dave...what was the final bill?

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
This ^ it's not a ball ache at all. Just have to make sure you route the pas safely is all

P.S the pick up is noticeable with it gone though! or I found it was

Well I'm only quoting what I heard Tom say. I don't pay that much attention to be honest.
Anyway it makes more sense to bolt this kit on rather than ponce around searching for the Cup parts to replace the 182 bits.

Evo 5 RS

Well I'm only quoting what I heard Tom say. I don't pay that much attention to be honest.
Anyway it makes more sense to bolt this kit on rather than ponce around searching for the Cup parts to replace the 182 bits.

I agree mate, just saying the cup setup is fairly straight forward once all parts in hand.

The kit on Dave's car looks well put together

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

How much is the kit?

Strangely, its actually cheaper to buy it from JMS than Pure Motorsport:

I agree mate, just saying the cup setup is fairly straight forward once all parts in hand.

The kit on Dave's car looks well put together

I actually got a quote from Wests for the Cup setup (new) at about £350 all in! Ok so the Pure kit was a good £150 more than that, but well, i wasnt that bothered about saving a few pennys here & there tbh.

Whilst i may not clean it that often, it is still my pride & joy, so when things do need doing, it only gets the best parts available :eek:

The purpose of the exercise was to (hopefully) make it reliable for the foreseeable future - after all it has done a fair few miles - so it did need a pretty major overhaul. Re: the price. For everything, it was alot. In fact, i've bought cars for less lol.

Evo 5 RS

HOOOOOOOOOOOW MUCH?

lol in all honesty that kit looks really good I'm slightly jealous

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

I did another thread the other day (to highlight my new found ability to clean), so thought I had better bung the pics in here before doing my latest update
smiley2.gif

DSC04074.jpg

DSC04076.jpg

DSC04077.jpg

DSC04086.jpg

DSC04087.jpg

DSC04089.jpg

DSC04093.jpg

DSC04096.jpg

DSC04097.jpg

DSC04098.jpg

DSC04100.jpg

DSC04104.jpg

DSC04108.jpg

DSC04110.jpg

DSC04111.jpg

And then, after trying to buy one for years, I finally managed to get my grubby mitts on an MSV cage (from Bubbles), so I trundled off to Oxford services on Saturday morning, & came back with a shiny new toy.

DSC04114.jpg

DSC04115.jpg

Reason for getting a bolt-in as opposed weld? Well, I wasn’t happy about having buckets, harnesses and no cage at all – be-heading myself in a roll isn’t on my wish list, but I didn’t fancy forking out for a full on cage that couldn’t be taken out if I changed my plans, i.e. put it back to standard/buy something else, etc etc.

Fitting wise, very easy, took about an hour including removing the passenger seat & having a sarnie/crisps/Pepsi break.

Before:
DSC04116.jpg

And after:
DSC04117.jpg

DSC04119.jpg

In addition, as I’m more about useable fun, I also removed part of the rear seat bracket so that I can still put the rear backrest in & out as required – allowing me to still use the boot as well, a boot. Helps to drown out the BTB as well tbh.

DSC04122.jpg

Overall, very pleased, fits well, looks nice, & if the worst happens will no doubt add a little bit of exra protection for my bonce.

Next mods? Well, a quikshift/gear selector thingy from that foreign chap on here is a possibility, along with some koni rear dampers if i’m feeling flush/some come up cheap and of course i still need to de-pin the front Sachs dampers – no point doing that until I have the rear adjustables though!!

Current spec:

Espace V6 airbox with Pipercross filter
Pure Motorsport aircon delete kit (inc. lightweight alloy pulleys)
JMS 98 Ron remap (higher limiter)
RS Inlets
BTB catback exhaust

15" Pro Race 3's with T1R's (road)
15" MK1 16v wheels with R888's (track)
Ferodo DS2500 front pads (road)
Carbon Lorraine RC5's (track)
Brembo HC front discs
*Braided brake lines (to fit)

Eibach Sportline springs
Eibach camber bolts (-2.8 degrees front, -1.8 rear)
Whiteline rear ARB (set to stiff)

2 x Bimarco Futura buckets / sidemounts
OMP subframes
OMP 4" 4 point harnesses
MSV ‘Caged’ bolt in half roll cage
'OMP' dished suede 350mm steering wheel
All seatbelts & ‘fluffy stuff’ removed from behind interior panels

Yes, I could strip all the interior out, & really go bonkers on it, especially seeing as it’s my 2nd car, but I don’t think that’s what the Trophy’s about, & I personally think it would detract from what is currently the perfect blend of everyday usability, fun & practicality. In addition, sod driving to the Nurburgring in a clio with no interior or stereo …

Last edited by a moderator:

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Thats a good idea with the back of the seats! I never thought of that...

I wanted an excuse to install fixed buckets and a cage but retain full (almost) use of the car...

I'd be tempted to but a used bench and chop it to bits just for the look of a complete rear interior :)

Evo 5 RS

tidy wee cage that. Nice one...possibly the most purposeful Trophy!.. wouldn't say most tinkered! Steve's turbo beast

Turbos.
Re: 'Sir_Dave's Caged, Cleaned & Toyed-with Shed Trophy Peado Wagon

Nice. No idea why you'd want to get rid of air-con though.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

Good to meet you at the weekend Dave, and nice to see you got it in and fitted. Looks very purposeful in there :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Nice. No idea why you'd want to get rid of air-con though.

3 reasons really:

1. It didnt work
2. One less pulley to turn, possibly more power? Definitely improved 'revability'.
3. Cheaper servicing/access to aux belt/alternator, etc

Good to meet you at the weekend Dave, and nice to see you got it in and fitted. Looks very purposeful in there :)

Thanks, fitted it as soon as i got home :D Was good to meet you both as well!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Re: 'Sir_Dave's Caged, Cleaned & Toyed-with Shed Trophy Paedo Wagon

Looking good Mr Pink.

Very purposeful. <3 teh Shed!

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Dave car looks great, but you are a massive homosexual for washing it. Get it dirty pronto!!

Megane 225 F1

LOVE IT. Trophys were meant to be played with ;)

But NOT cleaned.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1

looks great though mate, if i eventually get on track in the mps ill give you a shout, see when your next doing a track day, oh and i need to hand tim (autoba's) ass to him no he tempted me in to the b00st ***** side of things.

Im ashamed to say it

B00st FTMFW! lol

Lotus Elise

Looks great, however my plans are very similar to what you have built so I need to think of something to be different :(

Black 172 PH2

I cant believe you washed it! :eek:

M3 CSL, GT4 & SL

Looking good Dave, when's the next trackday?

chumpmobile

haha i like the name of this thread

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

looks great though mate, if i eventually get on track in the mps ill give you a shout, see when your next doing a track day, oh and i need to hand tim (autoba's) ass to him no he tempted me in to the b00st ***** side of things.

Im ashamed to say it

B00st FTMFW! lol

Keep me posted about this too.

172 Cup

Nice ;) and it gets 'used' as renault intended by the sounds of things

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member

Amazing build... Wish I could save up some funds to give mine an overhaul :(

53 Clio's & counting

REALLY like that Dave - I think you have a very good spec there :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

you are a massive homosexual for washing it. Get it dirty pronto!!

Your prays may well be answered, not necessarily through choice though i might add!! Reason? On Saturday, i fitted some Carbon Lorraine RC5's.

Firstly, this is what a set of DS2500's look like after 40k miles, 3 1*2's, a saxo, 5 trackdays, 11 laps of the 'ring, and three small occasions of fire/serious overheating:
IMG_0597.jpg

Now, they still worked fine, but as the actual pad material was starting to get a wee bit thin, & the brake pedal travel was to get a little longer, i thought i had better change them.

Although tbh, if i hadnt picked up a set of nearly new RC5's for £50, i probably wouldnt have bothered lol ... they do look less crumbly & more like brake pads though!
IMG_0598.jpg

Fitting took about 5 minutes, but cleaning the brake dust off the wheels & bodywork might take forever. Essentially, after going for a quick drive (with all my spare parts/cr4p/tools in the boot), its safe to say that the stopping power is pretty ridiculous, matched only by the laughable amounts of grey dust that goes everywhere. It might even pi55 me of, but only as my wheels are currently gloss black :eek: Give it a month & i wont notice amongst all the other dirt though ...

Track day wise, ive booked the Renaultsport day at Brands on Friday evening, cant go wrong for £95, & it'll give me a little opportunity to try out the R888's. Nice to be playing with some other clio's for a change as well :D