ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sm_wrc uncaged!

Renaultsport 220T
Last saturday was spent at Mark Fish Motorsport,

First we levitated the car
web.jpg

Seats out, cage next
web.jpg

The Motorsport Vision (caged) cage served me well
Some unbolting and it's out and ready for it's new home. Adam try not to 'use' it
web.jpg

Looking a bit sparce in there now
web.jpg

Had already sold my rear seats, and don't have any seatbelts in my car, so harnesses had to go back in and be bolted to something proper. (Don't want Edde dragging out his diagram again ;) )

So, after a cuppa or two, and get this, no joke... Mr Fish provides Fish and chips for lunch, we got back to work. Fitted cage into Adam's car, had a chat with Yaser about his mental Charade racer, and then started stripping...

web.jpg

web.jpg

Managed to remove a carrier bag's worth of this sound proofing
web.jpg

Now for the fun bit...

Some unwrapping
web.jpg

Fishy gets bolting
web.jpg

Now for some sparks (was fun lying under car, preventing the under seal from catching fire, Hmmm, fuel tank is above me)
web.jpg

Towers welded in for extra strength and rigidity, rear cage bolted in
web.jpg

Final tweeks
web.jpg

Will try and keep the sticker the right way up!
web.jpg

Thanks to Mark for all his meticulous hard work, and putting up with me all day long and to Adam for buying my other cage and harnesses.

Engineering passion!

Steve :D

Last edited:
  3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
Looks good to me - but I understood that the reason the SD cage was 'better' than the OMP or Sparco equivalent was because it had, with Mark Fish's expert input, been better-designed for the Mk2 Clio...

'Better-designed' was understood to mean 'a better fit' with the cage being closer to the shell (for better cage 'performance' when you need to rely on it - and more rigidity in the meantime) - and the all-important ability to bolt the cage straight in to the car...

I am disappointed to see that the SD needs the same level of fabricating (i.e. towers welding in) as the OMP cage - which is literally 50% cheaper (albeit needing painting / p.coating)... :dapprove:

As above though - looks good nonetheless...

Renaultsport 220T
You can just bolt the cage and towers in if you don't want to weld them. It's just stiffer welded in.

And you have to have towers, otherwise you wouldn't be able to get the cage into position inside the car.

M

mini-valver

Awesome fella! Cant wait to get mine in. Is this the one that the GB will be getting? The diagonal looks more central than D4ve's, his has a smaller harness bar one side than the other. Your's looks better though, happy days!

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Looking good hun :)

Nice to see you doing some work for once :rasp: ;)

xx

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
Dissapointed I missed this now, i'll get a good look today though! :approve:

Renaultsport 220T
Awesome fella! Cant wait to get mine in. Is this the one that the GB will be getting? The diagonal looks more central than D4ve's, his has a smaller harness bar one side than the other. Your's looks better though, happy days!

Cheers.
This cage was the last black one he had in stock. Will order up the front with your order.

We noticed the different version when Dave turned up too. Mark is going to speak to SD before he places order. It doesn't make any difference really, just bolted in in a different place.

Just needs some paint in the rear of the car now.

Renaultsport 220T
Cheers people.

mini-valver, Mark has spoken to SD, and the version that was in Dave’s is an older type. You will be getting the same as mine, with the diagonal in the middle.

You can also get a welded in 'X' and harness bar version now, if you prefer. I think at same price.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Looks good.

OMP multipoint FTW though, shame you loose/mod the OEM Dash with the OMP but hey ho!

Whats the cost of the SD?

Renaultsport 220T
any full pics of the car? also how hard was the oil cooler to fit?

thnx. gup

Yes mate. These where taken after the engine build earlier this year. Haven't had time to do any decent shots with new cage in yet.

Oil cooler plumbing was easy, we had to make up some brackets to get to fit where I wanted it though. Couple of hours tops.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

M

mini-valver

Cheers people.

mini-valver, Mark has spoken to SD, and the version that was in Dave’s is an older type. You will be getting the same as mine, with the diagonal in the middle.

You can also get a welded in 'X' and harness bar version now, if you prefer. I think at same price.

Awesome, think your's looks better anyway personally. Ill give Mark a ring next week to see what the crack is now.

Car looks stunning mate :)

172, Tiguan
He only ever drives to Mark's and back, or to Asda's once a fortnight, so round and black to be totally honest. ;)

Renaultsport 220T
He only ever drives to Mark's and back, or to Asda's once a fortnight, so round and black to be totally honest. ;)

PMSL, yeah, my track day budget was spent on engines this year.

Need to try out some new rubber next year. Hancooks maybe.