ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SN64LCX - £100 anyone who can put me in touch with previous keeper 🙏🤝

Clio 1.5 dci
Hello all,

I need your help, and I’m sure we have all been in my situation; or know someone who has so hopefully if you read on you can help me out.

SN64LCX is a car I bought from a dealer. From day 1 it has had gearbox issues. Trying to back the car and it’s proving difficult for a multitude of reasons. Moving on whilst it is the dealers job to prove the fault wasn’t there I am hoping I can get the evidence myself from the previous keeper/seller- putting me in touch with any garages the car visited.

I don’t have Facebook and can’t make out the stamps in the service book, car came from Scotland and have rang a few main dealers so this is a last ditch before things get messy hence the £100 finding fee which I will honour.

Fed up of getting stitched up by cars and dodgy dealers. Please and thank you!

I hope this post is ok and doesn’t breach any rules.

Not new to Renaults, own a 182 FF too which has stayed whilst the 350Z, Fiesta ST, RS6 avant and S350 have all moved on.

I'm sure you've looked at this already, but what does the V5 say? Quick online reg check suggests car has had just 1 previous owner.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Maybe I’m being dense here, but what does finding the old owner achieve?
They’re not gonna admit to issues before they sold it.

I’ve put the reg on the socials and nothing comes up. Only thing I can find through that route is the listing presumably from the dealer you bought from in Chelmsford.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Maybe I’m being dense here, but what does finding the old owner achieve?
They’re not gonna admit to issues before they sold it.

I’ve put the reg on the socials and nothing comes up. Only thing I can find through that route is the listing presumably from the dealer you bought from in Chelmsford.
Why wouldn't they admit to any issues if they've already moved it on? In my opinion, I think if they could find the previous owner, they'd be more than happy to share any information.

Clio 1.5 dci
Hi guys.

Thanks for responses. Finding the previous owner can hopefully confirm any issues or put me in touch with a garage who has diagnosed the car (maybe the reason they got rid) Not like they will be liable I didn’t buy the car from them and so they have nothing to worry about.

I have done an HPI which lists all the previous places to HPI the car, and am going through that list to see if I can track anything down. Also put the V5 number onto the MOT history checker to get locations but the garage up in Scotland where the car originated only did an MOT and nothing else.

Stamps in service book are kind of illegible and don’t have separate invoices.

Yes dealer I got it from was in Essex. Wouldn’t trust them as far as I could throw them.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Because the fault would be theirs.
I really don't get your way of thinking 🤔
Somebody owns a car. That car developes a fault, they sell it on to a dealer, its not their problem anymore.
Somebody then asks for any information about the car.
Why wouldn't they share any information they might have?

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I really don't get your way of thinking 🤔
Somebody owns a car. That car developes a fault, they sell it on to a dealer, its not their problem anymore.
Somebody then asks for any information about the car.
Why wouldn't they share any information they might have?
Apart from that customer probably signed a purchase invoice, which would state that to the best of their knowledge the car was free from fault….so whilst unlikely they would ever be chased. They are basically admitting they lied.

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
I had a similar situation a few years ago.

Just wrote a letter with my phone number to the previous keeper listed on the logbook and they gave me all the info I needed.

Dealer said it wasn't his problem so I sent a letter explaining the law and that I refused the car, when could I pick up my part ex and bring it back?

He paid up for all works required at some expense in the end.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Apart from that customer probably signed a purchase invoice, which would state that to the best of their knowledge the car was free from fault….so whilst unlikely they would ever be chased. They are basically admitting they lied.
Depends, if the dealer took it back due to a know fault then that’s on the dealer if they sell it on again. Without the full story it’s impossible to say who is in the wrong.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I had a similar situation a few years ago.

Just wrote a letter with my phone number to the previous keeper listed on the logbook and they gave me all the info I needed.

Dealer said it wasn't his problem so I sent a letter explaining the law and that I refused the car, when could I pick up my part ex and bring it back?

He paid up for all works required at some expense in the end.
Prewious owners haven't been listed on the log book for a while now though.
Who was it who bought a yellow edc that had gearbox issues and he swapped it for a red one 🤔.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
How long have you had it? Surely if its within 6 months of you buying you can hand it back? (Provided of course they can’t fix it?)

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Depends, if the dealer took it back due to a know fault then that’s on the dealer if they sell it on again. Without the full story it’s impossible to say who is in the wrong.
No, not if it’s sold to a dealer…if they are doing the job properly they will have a purchase invoice process that the customer signs, this will be the case when you px a vehicle too. Customer is signing that their vehicle is basic at clear and as such is some come back. Not that it happens often, but I have seen someone chased and challenged based on a sign customer declaration. That said if the dealer purchased the vehicle from auction there is little hope! Which is more likely to be honest.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
OP did you finance the car or just pay cash? If you financed it, my advice would be to speak with the finance company ASAP and explain the situation (if the dealer really is unresponsive) they will push for a resolution on your behalf

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
No, not if it’s sold to a dealer…if they are doing the job properly they will have a purchase invoice process that the customer signs, this will be the case when you px a vehicle too. Customer is signing that their vehicle is basic at clear and as such is some come back. Not that it happens often, but I have seen someone chased and challenged based on a sign customer declaration. That said if the dealer purchased the vehicle from auction there is little hope! Which is more likely to be honest.
Yes I get that and don’t disagree, however my parents bought a golf, brand new it was a lemon, the dealer eventually took it back, they then saw it driving around not long after, assumption was they’d just sold it on again. I was pondering if that could be the scenario. Not sure if there was any paperwork to say they were returning it as it was broken.

Nathan105e

ClioSport Club Member
Don't suppose it's possible for the DVLA to contact the old owner on your behalf and pass on your contact information?

I know they won't be allowed to give you theirs, but there's got to be a way of them forwarding yours on to the old owner?

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
Don't suppose it's possible for the DVLA to contact the old owner on your behalf and pass on your contact information?

I know they won't be allowed to give you theirs, but there's got to be a way of them forwarding yours on to the old owner?
I think the op might be wanting a swift resolution contact the dvla he MIGHT hear back by 2025🤣🤣

Clio 1.5 dci
Thanks for the updates and advice guys

it’s a whole thing with the dealer being difficult. But I reported the fault to them within the 6 months so the burden of proof is on them; and I have proof they didn’t service/inspect the car properly to begin with. Won’t go into detail on that side of things. But also yes to the car being under warranty but also not the point and what else does the dealer know/withhold.

Going to just try my luck with a few of the garages. And possibly look at previous numbers/address on the cars infotainment. Not fussed about contacting these people as the GDPR breach will fall on the dealer which will be another thing for them to worry about

I knew the chances would be slim but worth a shot. It’s annoying the V5 has changed in this instance.

From my perspective and from a lot of peoples here and anyone else I have spoken to about it the previous keeper has nothing to hide now. The car and responsibility doesn’t lie with them. It would lie with the garage to inspect the car properly who is selling it. There wouldn’t be blow back and I’d keep things anonymous. Knowing their name doesn’t help me. History does.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
It won’t make any difference IMO. If they are that way inclined, the dealer will just say they didn’t know or the previous owner is mistaken/wrong/a liar. If they do that, then the previous owner would have to be willing to be a witness in a court case to state that he told the dealer there was a fault when they took the car in.

What is the gearbox fault? Is there anything stopping you just dumping the car back with the dealer and saying fix it or refund me?

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Feel like we are missing some bits with this…what service/inspection did the dealer ‘not do properly’ it’s an 8 year old Renault, so I would expect any used car dealer to do a very basic service, unless it was structured into the deal.

if the car has a warranty, why is it not the point? Things go wrong and hats what the warranty is for?? So why wouldn’t you use it? It makes no sense.

Finally I wish you luck calling garages, none of them would/should give you details. They would then be breaching GDPR rules. It’s likely this car has touched my employers but I wouldn’t risk handing out information.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I had a mondeo that was making a noise that had a Ford master tech suck air through his teeth like a like a 2 bit plumber. Did I tell the dealer about it when I traded it in?
It's possible the previous owner had no dealings with where you bought the car so they can claim they didn't know of any issues even if you have the po stood there telling them. If they are refusing to acknowledge the car has an issue then they are obviously refusing to repair it so why don't you just reject it under the sale and supply of goods act?

Clio 1.5 dci
So the car was brought either from an auction or privately sold too the dealer in one way or another…anyway the car came from Scotland, and the dealer I bought it from was in Essex so I think there isn’t a direct relationship between the previous keeper and the dealer

I am trying to reject the car. Dealership are being mega assholes about it..

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
How long have you had it for? How many times has it been in for the same fault repair? If it’s got a warranty why isn’t it being repaired? How long have you had it and how many miles? Likely if you do get the dealer to take back he is within his rights to deducted usage based on miles. However I suspect the only reason he could would be a lived to take it back is if it’s been back in for repair for the same fault multiple times.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
With respect @Ferds , if you're not going to answer questions about the problems then no-one can help you very much. I've recently been through something similar with a nightmare dealer so I'm happy to try and help you out.

It's not easy to reject a used car, you have to have very strong grounds to do so unless it was a distance sale. Getting it fixed is definitely within your consumer rights though.

Clio 1.5 dci
Gearbox fault was only noticeable under hard acceleration, when the gearbox has warmed up. Driven plenty of cars but was sat questioning the performance of the car since collecting it as I hadn’t driven another 200EDC.

First call was made to the warranty company and closest main dealer service department 5 weeks after collecting (dealer I bought it from was some random second hand place, but RAC approved so seemed reputable enough). Repair made was a software update not covered by warranty so swallowed that. But was straight back on the phone to the main dealer and went back for exactly same thing.

This all took 3 1/2 months due to main dealer being booked up/staff shortages/COVID etc. This was when I notified selling dealer of issues and offered them a chance to inspect the vehicle. I had done everything in my power to get vehicle sorted but since the fault had been there since new (to me) and they also didn’t complete service and inspection correctly (first visit to the main dealer vhc showed no oil with no signs of leaks + no coolant) and an inflated warranty price set by the dealer all seemed shady and so I am trying to back it…

Dealer has roped in some even more dodgy legal aid firm called lawgistics who are all as thick as their name suggest. In short telling me to F off. Absolute time wasters.

Going down a resolution process now getting the RAC involved. Still on the dealer to provide evidence the fault wasn’t there which they haven’t as this is all in my first 6 months of ownership…

I wanted to have my own evidence to submit hence this thread.

Hopefully this summarises the problem I’m having. I’ll go down this resolution process and see how things fair. So far the dealer hasn’t lifted a finger which won’t look good on their part so it should move things forward to either a repair or rejection accounting for wear and tear like mentioned

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Right how far is the dealer from you? Are you local? Couple of points:
1) Lawgistics are a proper legal firm who support the motortrade.
2) you need to speak with the dealer to see where they want you to take it for diagnostics
3) you won’t get the car backed until it’s been inspected and they cannot repair.
4) if they do agree to take it back you will get charged for use.
5) was a service agreed on the vehicle as part of the deal? As in detailed on your order from? If not then they are no obligation to service a vehicle.

I would recommend speaking with the dealer and/or the warranty company to establish an independent inspection of the vehicle. In order to confirm there is a fault. You will
Likely have to pay for this, but claim that if a fault is found you expect the return of the cost. Once that’s complete you need to establish where the dealer and warranty company want you to take it. If you work with them and it’s not repaired then you will have right to start trying to back the car. However it’s not as simple as you may hope.

Sorry you are having to deal with this. Perils of buying an old used car

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
The only thing I'd take issue with is point 5, if a service was agreed as part of the sale then that part of the contract can be verbal without it being on the order form, but it could be an absolute b**ch to prove.

It's good that they were an RAC approved garage at least, because there's a dispute resolution path there. Just be sure that you're following their processes properly, sounds like you are. You will have to jump through the hoops to stand any chance of a rejection sticking though. It's an enormous pain in the arse, I hope you get a result.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
I might have missed something so apologies in advance but was the vehicle advertised with/sold with or on the basis that it had been serviced and hasn’t?

If yes then you may have grounds for breach of contract on the basis that the car was mis-sold. Had a few clients caught out with this and had same when I bought my last daily - advert stated that it had a “Skoda service plan” and on checking it turned out that this had been used on 1 inspection and 1 minor service. This effectively had used the service plan, leaving me out of pocket when the next 2 are due (June this year and next).

I budgeted this into my purchase as I’d bought on the basis that the next 2 services were covered off. Dealer initially said they’d bought the car from another trader. Stuck to my guns and they paid for a further service plan which covers me for 2 more services, per the original advert.

No idea if this is helpful.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
The only thing I'd take issue with is point 5, if a service was agreed as part of the sale then that part of the contract can be verbal without it being on the order form, but it could be an absolute b**ch to prove.

It's good that they were an RAC approved garage at least, because there's a dispute resolution path there. Just be sure that you're following their processes properly, sounds like you are. You will have to jump through the hoops to stand any chance of a rejection sticking though. It's an enormous pain in the arse, I hope you get a result.
Back in my dealer days anything that was agreed was on the order for or a signed job card. The customer had copies of both.

Clio Sport
With second hand car prices going through just part-exchange it.Since you started this thread it's probably gone up by 10%..