ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

Re: sonny172cup "track racer project"

Great news Sonny :) Look forward to seeing you out there! As Tony says coming to Mallory would be a good plan if you are free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

Hi Tony, all good thanks.

Gutted I cant make Mallory as I am at Ring for DN9, would love to have come and seen all you guys and James race.

Sonny, cups almost back on road actually. Got really excited yesterday actually and bought some more stuff for it like new Pure motorosport manifold and exhaust and gear linkage. Chips bloody fault!

I am at Spa in october yes mate. Got really into Spa actually and have been quite a few times this year already in my Exige. Four of my mates have bought white Exiges like mine now so its a right giggle all being out on tracks together in same cars. Going with same guys in October but taking faster cars which could end in tears!

See you in october if dont see you before. Good luck with rest of build... AND learning how to reverse a trailer! OMG... soooo hard!

Clio Sport 172

Hi. Great project. Tell me what is current weight of your Clio?

Hi Tony, all good thanks.

Gutted I cant make Mallory as I am at Ring for DN9, would love to have come and seen all you guys and James race.

Sonny, cups almost back on road actually. Got really excited yesterday actually and bought some more stuff for it like new Pure motorosport manifold and exhaust and gear linkage. Chips bloody fault!

I am at Spa in october yes mate. Got really into Spa actually and have been quite a few times this year already in my Exige. Four of my mates have bought white Exiges like mine now so its a right giggle all being out on tracks together in same cars. Going with same guys in October but taking faster cars which could end in tears!

See you in october if dont see you before. Good luck with rest of build... AND learning how to reverse a trailer! OMG... soooo hard!

Glad to hear its nearly done mate, the Exige sounds fun, funnily one of my mates just bought a blue one, he will be at Spa too. Sounds fun, will you be taking the Clio again as well?

Will be interested to see what you make of the PMS exhaust set up.

If you dont mind me asking how much did it cost you to do your B+E trg and test? Iv been quoted £445 for 2 half days of trg (1 on 1) and test.

Yep I thought it was expensive, I wanted to do full day for £240 (6 hours) then test at 115, but I have no trailer experience so the test center recommends doing two half days (3 hours)

Little update,

Did my medical yesterday for the race license, so ARDS test is booked in for 11 days time. I will send off straight away so its done and dusted, and hopefully I might be able to participate in a race towards the end of the season.

I also did my first half day B+E training, I used my own tow vehicle and their trailer, did 3.5 hours, to be fair it was a little tricky to get to test level, I bullsed up on a few things, mainly on the road drive (nothing trailer oriented) just general bad habits creeping in), was advised I needed another session, but to be fair I would rather do another session to be 100% confident. B+E test is day after my ARDS.

In regards to the car, I have dropped the frame and split the gearbox, new clutch going in tomorrow, I shall report back with findings that was creating the noise.

Yep starting to add up, example

Trailer tow hook and tow electrics for the Land Rover £ 280 second hand
2 half day trg lessons for b+e £480
b=e test £115
MSA Medical £85
ARDS test £250
Go racing pack £70? however I purchased it in 2011
License fee £58

Not complaining, just saying lol

I would like to get a few races in towards end, I have Spa track day 9/10th Oct booked. But as you said in a previous thread, not to rush the build to make a race as its sods law something will brake!

Hi Sonny,

Were you on audisrs.com and/or rs246.com ? If so, i'm on there (AdamS4).

Love the Clio, awesome work :cool: Been thinking myself about getting one as a track toy. Can't decide between the Clio and a type R tho.

RE: the rear anti-roll bar

Is that a bit pointless what with the Clio's having a torsion bar ? :S

Cheers,
Adam

Hello Adam, yes thats me, I sold the RS4 few weeks back, was a good 6 years of ownership but had to move on if I wanted to racing.

My thought exactly regarding the RARB, I was told there is slight flex in the torsion bar (sometimes they can bend) this puts the tracking out slighting, they was also recommended for the Clio, however a rear top mount strut braces are not, bit there is more flex there than there is at the bottom..

Adam did you have the yellow tracked up S4 with red roll cage, we met at Silverstone in 2009?

Update:

Over the past week I have been working on the car like crazy, putting in a lot of hours to get it road worthy.I have manage to hit a few snags on the way, such as sheered bolts, that have taken sometime drilling out.

So I manage to fire up the engine and test the clutch, all is ok.
I replaced the TREs, Wishbones and ball joints, installed poly bushes on the front ARB, replaced with all new nuts and bolts. Replaced the split steering rack gaiter.

I also laid the battery cable through out the car and wired up to the new lightweight battery, just need to wire in the FIA cut of switch.

Purchased a DIY flock kit and flocked the dashboard, came out ok, not the best but will do for what I want it for.

So jobs to do,

Fit Willwoods
Fit dashboard and FIA cut off switch
Wire in Rain light
Fix cup racer air deflecter plates
Fit lightweight bonnet
Mark Fish geomotry set up, corner weight and lower car some more
Remap new engine
Wrap car in light pastel blue
Insurance for road test drives

So the list is getting smaller, thank God

Got ARDS test Tuesday, cant bloody wait.

Last edited:

No mate, I manage to get one out, but over drilled the thread, so need to find a way to getting a nylon bolt in the frame, its been suggested I weld a recess nut in there, any ideas?

Clio.

Plenty of ideas, but your a bit far up the road for my welding setup....;) get the rest done and when its up and running, get it on my ramp at the workshop?

Today I sat my ARDS test and passed at Brands Indy, however I will be honest and say that I was rusty due to not having done a track day since Spa last year ( 9 months) lol, took me a few laps to blow the cobwebs out.

So medical is all done and will get license posted tomorrow evening, then its all done.

Happy days.

Thanks guys, the questions was easy, I must admit there was one question where it could have been two of the answers, that threw me a bit, but apart from that yea straight forward. You have to get 100% on 3 parts and the 4th part you are allowed to drop 2 questions, I assumed it was just the flags you needed the 100%.

Thanks guys, Nick, yea as long as you understand the rules, mainly safety, if you have done track days before (that you have) you will piss it, they speak to you before hand anyway with any potential problematic questions in the test. The driving part was explained as 7th 10ths of your driving ability, felt like nine tenths to be honest when instructor went around, however this is prob due to me not doing any track days this year (felt faster).

Pete, iv only just put the wheels back on the car lol...

v800mjh, I was on track around 10-11am, I did not see that many Clios to be fair, 1 Mondial Blue with yellow markings and a Silver one (yours I assume). Was a nice sunny day with lots of good cars on track, shame I could not stick around to do a full track day, work called unfortunate.