ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

Re: sonny172cup "track racer project"

Not really a update as such, but the car went in for its MOT today and passed (only 1 advisory).

The new MOT amendments was enforced on the 20th (March 2012), these are quite tough, however I was shown a section for track prepared cars. If you have a roll rage fitted and have harness in fitted, its ok to remove the air bag system and to have the light illuminated on the dash. So I was really relived to hear this. So no more air bag resistors for me, the lot is coming out lol

**Overdue update** April 2013

Since the weather has got a tad better I decided to crack on with some work on the car. The to do list is increasing dramatically.

Over the past few months I have been hoarding and scavenging parts to get this car back on the road for the end of April start of May.

So with a view to start racing in 2014 in either the MSV cup trophy to start with and then the French Trophy, I wanted to get this car up to scratch pretty quick so I can start getting some track days in. (Not done a track day since October).

To start with I took out my Recarao Pole Positions and replaced them with the Corbeau Revolutions as I wanted the added protection of the wrap around element. I purchased some Corbeau side mounts in aluminium to keep weights down. The Revos are 2.5kg heavier each than the Poles including side mounts. These were mated up to my original OMP Subframes. 3 of the holes lined up one would need slight filing to make it wider to fit however I will drill a new hole. Overall the driving position seems great. The Revos are a lot tighter than the Poles (Revos was a medium size) so there a bit of a nut cruncher lol.

I also added a quick release boss to bring the steering wheel closer and to make it easier climbing in out of the vehicle. I had to extend the horn wire, which was no problem.

dsc04338vi.jpg

dsc04351cj.jpg

dsc04349z.jpg

dsc04355ik.jpg

dsc04345h.jpg

dsc04344t.jpg

On another note, my engine crane arrived last week, put this together today and chuffed how compact it is when folded away. It cost £130 inc delivery from ebay NEW. Just waiting on a few serving parts to arrive then I will do the engine swap. It will be the first time I have removed an engine, so am looking forward to that. I will post in due course my progress and no doubt be asking for help when I bulls something up lol

dsc04358pq.jpg

dsc04359hl.jpg

..and the 182 engine waiting to go in while my current (damaged) engine gets overhauled.

dsc04353e.jpg

Last edited:
  Cup In bits

Looks good mate. Your quick release you have fitted, is that a cheap eBay one? Reason I ask is that I have one fitted and it has developed play within two weeks :S

Edit: just noticed your eye bolt mounting for the lower crotch strap, that will fail scrutineering as it requires reinforcement plates fitted to all mounts unless original positions are used.

Just waiting on a few serving parts to arrive then I will do the engine swap. It will be the first time I have removed an engine, so am looking forward to that.

You'll be ok - just remember to do all the top bits first then bottom so your not up and down all the time. I sound like a seasoned pro - only help once and done one myself, I did have a little helper though.

Just looked at your inner belt mount point on the tunnel, is there a 3 inch square backing plate on those too?

Last edited:

Looks good mate. Your quick release you have fitted, is that a cheap eBay one? Reason I ask is that I have one fitted and it has developed play within two weeks :S

Edit: just noticed your eye bolt mounting for the lower crotch strap, that will fail scrutineering as it requires reinforcement plates fitted to all mounts unless original positions are used.

Thats another job, will put spreader plates on the crutch straps when I get the gear shift moved (im having it moved about 2-3 inches down).

Thats rubbish that it has play in it. This item seems very robust and solid. It's from Demontweeks, cost about £200 irrc. http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/steering-wheel-bosses-accessories/lifeline-quick-release-bolt-on-boss

You'll be ok - just remember to do all the top bits first then bottom so your not up and down all the time. I sound like a seasoned pro - only help once and done one myself, I did have a little helper though.

Just looked at your inner belt mount point on the tunnel, is there a 3 inch square backing plate on those too?

Well you have more experience than me Pete ;)

Regarding the spreader plates, yes there should be, as that's what I asked for when it was fitted, however have not looked. Anything else you see that might fail scrutineers please feel free to point it out.

Well you have more experience than me Pete ;)

Regarding the spreader plates, yes there should be, as that's what I asked for when it was fitted, however have not looked. Anything else you see that might fail scrutineers please feel free to point it out.

Just checked, and it has the 65mm (2.55 inch) spreader plate, but not on the inside plate, that's a 1''x 2.5'' plate, looks like I will have to address this! Thanks for bringing it to my attention Pete.

Just checked, and it has the 65mm (2.55 inch) spreader plate, but not on the inside plate, that's a 1''x 2.5'' plate, looks like I will have to address this! Thanks for bringing it to my attention Pete.

I doubt anyone will get underneath to check, but the position gives away that there isn't enough room to fit a correct size backing plate.

Post 221 in my thread, bottom two pics you can see where I've put my inside mounting points.

While the weather stayed nice, decided to crack on with a few other jobs.

I managed to get the engine out of the boot, had to raise the rear of the car in order to get the engine crane legs under. It was a bit awkward getting the clearance but had just enough room between top of crane and roof of tailgate. Just waiting on gearbox oil then will swap engines next week weather permitting of course.

photo5qo.jpg

photo4kt.jpg

I then added a Clio Cup racer tail gate purchased from Martinj on here. I had to swap the hinges around as they was back to front (maybe there like this for the cup racer).

The tailgate already had the poly glass fitted so that was a bonus. The tailgate weights 10kg including the sport spoiler The oem weighs close to 20kg with cup spoiler(without wiper).

dsc04368ti.jpg

Pins was a straightforward fit. Just need to file the hole slightly to fit.

dsc04370tm.jpg

dsc04367v.jpg

dsc04373f.jpg

Rain light added from previous project

photo3ek.jpg

photo7gn.jpg

Seems to be a bit of a gap where the spoiler meets the roof.

..And a little tidy up of the rear loom.

photo6kq.jpg

Thanks guys...

April 21 2012

Got round to fitting the Cup Racer doors this weekend they I picked up second hand, they was more of less a straightforward fit. I fitted the key locks and kept the central locking for security reasons, I just had to cut a hole for the key drum.

I also had to remove a metal block on the A frame as this was fouling the door when it was closed it was simply a screwed on so not a big deal removing, I then replaced the bolt.

I will add some straps so the door won’t be blown open and put stress on the hinges.

Random shot with no door.

dsc04374cr.jpg

Door fitted

dsc04385vk.jpg

Handle

dsc04392jw.jpg

Central locking and key drum, due to the OEM door being thinner, the kevlar has to be sanded as well as the key drum locking device.

dsc04394qa.jpg

Key drum finally fitted after much filing and sanding.

dsc04396f.jpg

Cup racers handle supper and spacer, door card waiting to go on.

dsc04391fm.jpg

Metal block that was removed, this fouled the door and prevented it from shutting, the bolt was then put back in just in case it was providing support to the A pilla

dsc04383y.jpg

Messy wires

dsc04384t.jpg

Wires tidied up, just central locking wires.

dsc04376t.jpg

Weights statistics

23kg: Old door with poly window and gutted wing mirror
9kg Cup racer door, with wing mirror, poly glass and handle support bar.

So a weight saving of 28kg, not bad at all.

18.7kg oem tailgate, glass with cup spoiler

10kg GRP Tailgate, poly window and sport spoiler

36.7kg saved already. :cool:

p.s the Cup spoiler weights 3.5kg and not 6kg as mentioned elsewhere on here.

​1st May Update

While still waiting for parts to arrive to do the engine swap I decided to attack the dash and heater matrix.

I removed the upper and lower dash, passenger air bag and the upper dash support brace along with the remaining sound deadening (that was not a lot left).

Weights:
4.5kg Lower Dash
4.1kg Dash support brace
2.8kg Passenger air bag
3.4kg (bits and pieces from inside dash)

dsc04397og.jpg

dsc04400lz.jpg

Next was the heater matrix along with the matrix blower from the scuttle panel. I had fun removing the later as the window wipers was seized on, there is one cheeky bolt at the rear that needs to come out in order to remove the blower.

Weights:
4.2kg Heater Matrix (all components’)
2.1kg Heater blower

dsc04412e.jpg

dsc04406x.jpg

This is what’s left once the matrix is removed, this hole will be blanked off, the smaller hole will remain to feed the T7 heater.

dsc04414gd.jpg

This hole will remain, I will feed the T7 heater tubes to utilise the original window demist vents.

dsc04416j.jpg

I also lowered the steering wheel column by using high utensil bolt and spacer to bring the steering wheel down by 10mm. This is a temp measure until I get some solid M8 steel spacers. (Can anyone see the negative side of this?) I can’t see it moving the steering rack at all.

It sits pretty nice and feels right.

dsc04421d.jpg

dsc04424vp.jpg

dsc04426qb.jpg

..and last but not least got round to fitting my Popit vent.

dsc04429x.jpg

Well all the little jobs are slowly being ticked off the ever growing list. Its no looker and needs a lot of more tidying up.

Hopefully this car will be on track by the end of May.

Summary of items weighed for reference.

2.2kg Both Window motors complete
2 kg Both wing mirrors complete
2.8kg Tool Kit
3.5kg Front side window
3 kg Rear side window (including rubber edging)
4.8kg Back bench lower
9kg Back bench upper
3.2 Both front seat belt mechanisms
18.4 Single front seat
3.2kg Steering wheel with airbag
1.6kg Head unit
2kg Parcel shelf
2kg Roof lining
8kg Both front door cards
7.5kg Carpets
0.8kg Bulkhead heat shield
2.3kg Isofix bar
1.5kg Carbon Canister with bracket
1.5 Acoustic valve
0.8kg Foglights
2kg Nuts, bolts and bits
6kg Bag of further bits (Speakers, sun visors, rear seat belt rolls).
2.1kg Heater blower
4.5kg Lower Dash
4.1kg Dash support brace
2.8kg Passenger air bag
6kg Upper dash (for reference)
3.5kg Cup Spoiler
2.5kg Sport spoiler (for reference)
15.2 OEM Tailgate with glass (no spoiler and wiper)
23kg OEM Door with poly glass (no mirror and no door cards)
2.2kg inside of both headlights
14.5 OEM battery (for reference)
1.5kg Battery and ECU support brace.
3kg Airbag ECU with wires and associated bolts and also 2 x rear gas struts for tailgate
1.5kg Headlight blanks (DIY OEM lenses)

You're getting there, you can get bulkhead connectors for water pipes. Two male threads with a flange in the middle that you can mount on an alloy plate to go in the smaller rectangle hole. What I was going to do then got persuaded to keep the matrix and blower.

Just seen the weights list, good effort!!

Summary of items weighed for reference.

2.2kg Both Window motors complete
2 kg Both wing mirrors complete
2.8kg Tool Kit
3.5kg Front side window
3 kg Rear side window (including rubber edging)
4.8kg Back bench lower
9kg Back bench upper
3.2 Both front seat belt mechanisms
18.4 Single front seat
3.2kg Steering wheel with airbag
1.6kg Head unit
2kg Parcel shelf
2kg Roof lining
8kg Both front door cards
7.5kg Carpets
0.8kg Bulkhead heat shield
2.3kg Isofix bar
1.5kg Carbon Canister with bracket
1.5 Acoustic valve
0.8kg Foglights
2kg Nuts, bolts and bits
6kg Bag of further bits (Speakers, sun visors, rear seat belt rolls).
2.1kg Heater blower
4.5kg Lower Dash
4.1kg Dash support brace
2.8kg Passenger air bag
6kg Upper dash (for reference)
3.5kg Cup Spoiler
2.5kg Sport spoiler (for reference)
15.2 OEM Tailgate with glass (no spoiler and wiper)
23kg OEM Door with poly glass (no mirror and no door cards)
2.2kg inside of both headlights
14.5 OEM battery (for reference)
1.5kg Battery and ECU support brace.
3kg Airbag ECU with wires and associated bolts and also 2 x rear gas struts for tailgate
1.5kg Headlight blanks (DIY OEM lenses)

Awesome break down thanks. Can't believe the weight of some of those items.

​Surely 2 bucket seats combined can't be less than one standard seat!

Clio 172

Awesome break down thanks. Can't believe the weight of some of those items.

​Surely 2 bucket seats combined can't be less than one standard seat!

The original seats are proper heavy, Think my Futura's weigh combined two thirds of an original seat.

The original seats are proper heavy, Think my Futura's weigh combined two thirds of an original seat.

I've changed mine to buckets too. My buckets are pretty heavy at like 9kg each, but still can't believe that both combined, weigh less than the standard seats I personally carried up into the loft.

Yep the Recaro Pole Positions I had in weight 7kg each, the side frames and mount pushed this up to 9.5kg each. The Revolutions I have in there now are 10kg each without mounts and frames (due to the wrap around design).

You're getting there, you can get bulkhead connectors for water pipes. Two male threads with a flange in the middle that you can mount on an alloy plate to go in the smaller rectangle hole. What I was going to do then got persuaded to keep the matrix and blower.

Just seen the weights list, good effort!!

Cheers Pete, I too talked myself into keeping the heater, but then thought I will go the T7 route, if that fails I will prob end up getting a heated windscreen.

Where did you see the bulkhead fittings? Was it on T7designs.com?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

Thanks, Ok thats put my mind at rest. It seemed pretty stable, but just waiting on the solid spacers as not keen on the nuts.

Mines lowered on some spacers we have on the stuff at work. Probably about 12mm thick I think. I've some spares lying around if your interested?
​As for the lowering, it will be fine that amount mate.

Mines lowered on some spacers we have on the stuff at work. Probably about 12mm thick I think. I've some spares lying around if your interested?
​As for the lowering, it will be fine that amount mate.

Thanks, what are the spacers made out of? My spacer washers arrived today but they dont look good...also they are in stainless steel (been advised not to use SS as they can flex).

Thanks buddy I also have a list ready to go on that site, just waiting to see if the 3/4 to 13mm bulkhead connection would be the right choice....working away from the car at the moment so can't double check.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

Thanks, what are the spacers made out of? My spacer washers arrived today but they dont look good...also they are in stainless steel (been advised not to use SS as they can flex).

The spacers are made out of zinc plated steel mate. I'm not sure how a stainless steel spacer could flex though?! It's sandwiched between the column and column mount!

Fitted some ARP rod bolts to the donor engine today.

Fairly easy to fit,makes job a lot easier having the engine out.

Shiny new bolts with assembly lube

k7d2.jpg

Torque programmed at 42ftlb

poq8.jpg

Old bolts

q7.jpg

New bolts

5zkz.jpg

tdxm.jpg

..and new sump gasket along with new oil filter.

rip0.jpg

On a separate note, im sending the gear box off tomorrow for a inspection/refurb, then will put donor engine into car at the end of the week..fingers crossed

200 cup

Hi Sonny

Glad your taking on the engine change yourself.
Are you doing spa in October with circuit days?
​Clio is coming on well.

Hiya buddy,

Yes will conduct engine change next week, I received the gear box back from Codered, so all good to go.

Gear box needed a new 5th gear, replaced all seals and grommets, apart from that it was all good to go.

I have already booked both days at Spa with CD, I sold the RS4 last week (sad times) this will fund the tow vehicle, trailer, B+E license and ARDS(nat B license).

Have you booked your days yet?

200 cup

Hiya buddy,

Yes will conduct engine change next week, I received the gear box back from Codered, so all good to go.

Gear box needed a new 5th gear, replaced all seals and grommets, apart from that it was all good to go.

I have already booked both days at Spa with CD, I sold the RS4 last week (sad times) this will fund the tow vehicle, trailer, B+E license and ARDS(nat B license).

Have you booked your days yet?

Not booked yet because starting a new job but it will be on top of my list.

What car are you looking for to tow it with?
Have you got a lsd now?
​Pick up my new track car next week :)

Yep LSD in the box, bought it second hand on here, the refurb was for peace of mind, just as well as 5th gear teeth was chipped due to damage when it was last taken apart.

Looking at a Range Rover Sport 4.2 S/C, test drove one yesterday, but was a bit shabby and guy did not budge on price, so walked.

What track car you getting?...Clio? lol

200 cup

Yep LSD in the box, bought it second hand on here, the refurb was for peace of mind, just as well as 5th gear teeth was chipped due to damage when it was last taken apart.

Looking at a Range Rover Sport 4.2 S/C, test drove one yesterday, but was a bit shabby and guy did not budge on price, so walked.

What track car you getting?...Clio? lol

Range rover s/c that will be juicy towing wont a diesel be better.

Clio cup 200 great spec for track days very similar to clio jet but without the carbon roof.

Nice one mate, would you consider a Mk3 cup racer, there will be a few for sale soon when the mk4 kicks in.

Yea it will be i guess, buy i will only be doing 5k miles a year in it, also the diesel is sluggish as hell... The s/c kicks out 385bhp and does shift so that will keep me happy, and will be a nice replacement for the 449ps that im missing ;)

Little bit of an update. While waiting for the gearbox to come back I decided to tackle the interior.

Stripped the loom down to the minimum, its not as extreme as some ppls on here, but good enough.

I manage to paint the interior, good old paint brush and few tins of Hammerite...job done ;) Still loads more interior work to do.....hoping to get it all smashed in two weeks.

​Few pics, apologies for crappy iphone pics, but you get the idea.

xkx4.jpg

0jvk.jpg

ws30.jpg

eoal.jpg